Got an e-mail like this from a school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r2thekesh

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I got the following e-mail from a school (I'm leaving it anonymous due to the fact I want to stay anonymous in case the school only sent it to me):

"Dear (my name),
Thank you for applying to the (University's name here). The Admissions Committee wanted to ask if you are planning to re-take the DAT? If so, when?

DMD Admissions Committee "

I had no plans to retake the DAT. Am I screwed for that school? I had 19's and 20's across the board with a 25 in RC.

Members don't see this ad.

So I got the following e-mail from a school (I'm leaving it anonymous due to the fact I want to stay anonymous in case the school only sent it to me):

"Dear (my name),
Thank you for applying to the (University's name here). The Admissions Committee wanted to ask if you are planning to re-take the DAT? If so, when?

I had no plans to retake the DAT. Am I screwed for that school? I had 19's and 20's across the board with a 25 in RC.

I think the question is part of their admissions process. I think if they wanted you to retake it, they probably would have worded differently.

I received an email like that from case western but they asked if I was going to retake it and if not they said they will not review my application further even with a 20aa

Members don't see this ad :)
I received an email like that from case western but they asked if I was going to retake it and if not they said they will not review my application further even with a 20aa

go elsewhere, plenty of fish in the sea.

What?!? :eek: Did you have some terrible score in a specific area?

kahr remember Case rejects 90% of their OOS applicants, so its not really shocking. I dont think its fair to assume to get an interview there unless your stats are spectacular and maybe they want 21s+

"Dear (my name),

Detroit Mercy sent one like that to me. I told them I wasn't retaking. I withdrew a little while later. They seemed unorganized to me. Two different people there would give me three different answers.

Unfortunately, there are only about 25 fish in the sea :D (add 1 or 2 if you are from the same ocean with the fish).

thats the opinion of 1 school, its not representative of anything and it does not mean that other schools will reject you. therefore seek admission elsewhere.

That letter seems like the D school version of "is it in yet." Not cool Case 19s and 20s are very good scores.

Last edited:
That letter seems like the D school version of "is it in yet." Not cool Case 19s and 20s are very good scores.

ye that kind of sucks overall, but what can u really do?

I got the same one from university of Louisville . I replied and said no but would like to still be considered ... My day should be retaken however... I got an aa of 17

Their criteria for admissions is just different from other schools. Every school has their mission statement so they have to choose their class who share their ideals. Case likes their high DAT applicants. ASDOH likes their high community service hours applicants.

There has been great correlation between DAT scores and success in dental school, and Case would rather interview applicants with 21AAs who submitted in August rather than applicants who had 19AAs who submitted in June.

Got a reply today saying that the DAT needs to be taken within 2 years of my application date. I took mine in January 2009. That's awesome they don't have that written on their website anywhere and I paid for the AADSAS and their supplemental fee.