Got back from Mexico = SICK!!! HELP!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

double elle

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Returned from Mexico on Tuesday evening. About 24 hours later, myself and several of my traveling partners began to get sick. I ended up visiting the ER in Kirksville this morning because of severe stomach cramps.

Has anyone else had this experience? I haven't kept anything down in 2 days. I am deathly afraid to eat anything out of fear that the cramps will return. They were unbearable!

Any information would be helpful!!!

Members don't see this ad.

HOla amigo-

Yes many many other tourists experience the same circumstance yearly as they travel abroad. Particularly, if they consumed the local drinking water. I think blood culture , urine analysis and perhaps antibiotics , but let your medical professional tell you what to do. In the mean time you may want to consider good ol' Pepto bismol....Best wishes!

Dr.Perez

NEVER DRINK the water in Mexico!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Your experience is so famous and ubiquitous it has its own name, "Montezuma's Revenge" or simply, "tourista".

When in any country where the sanitation might not be up to US standards, do not drink water from a tap, drinks made from water from a tap (ie, iced tea, soda from a fountain, juice from concentrate, ice itself), and raw foods (even fruits and veggies which may or may not be washed, and if washed, washed in contaminated water). Just be glad you've probably only got some mild gastroenteritis and not something more serious! :eek:

Been there, done that.

Worse, in El-Salvador I got Shigilosis. Mega barf, mega ab pain, mega bloating, mega pain down there, mega loss of energy, dehydration...antibios for 10 days, after 7, a HUGE mega barf and it was all done.

With repeat trips unto going there longer term, a ~~~very~~~ GRADUAL intake of the water and road food, you WILL adjust. If just the short trips, KC's adise should be heeded. I would add to also avoid the hidden "amoeba water" :) --the ice cubes in drinks.

Oh, and bring your Lomotil. :D

Doctorperez and Chief Master Senior Member Kimberli gave you good advice. Got the same stuff in Vietnam myself. Thought I was a dead man until I went to the clinic and lined up for treatment with about 100 GI's who were suffering through the same misery as I.

Yeah, those cramps do hurt don't they. But I bet it is nothing like what the gals go through during labor.

I've had a few folks tell me that foreign tourists who come to our country often experience the same trouble. They say the problem is not as much of a sanitation issue as it is a matter of ones bodily defenses becomming adapted to the resident variety of bugs. Good luck.

Stephen,
Your symptoms sound much like mine (except for mega barfing) while I was on decaff diet pepsi for the past year.

Originally posted by groundhog:
•I've had a few folks tell me that foreign tourists who come to our country often experience the same trouble. They say the problem is not as much of a sanitation issue as it is a matter of ones bodily defenses becomming adapted to the resident variety of bugs. Good luck.•

It is true that simply traveling to a different locale, even one with First World sanitation practices, can wreck havoc with one's tummy. The experience of diarrhea, nausea and other GI commplaints while traveling is common, regardless of the country. Stress, messing with your circadian rhythms and experience with new foreign antigens are probably all responsible. :D

Are you sure it wasn't just the release of the new N'Sync single that's causing uncontrolled vomiting? :rolleyes:

I concur with Kid T's diagnosis!!!

On a more serious note, I got cholera when doing mission work in Africa... so I very much empathise with your situation!

Hey double elle,
It sounds like you all had a good trip only to get sick now that you are back. I hope things are better. If not be careful what anti-diarretic agent you use. We leaned in class that you don't want to take anything that decreases the motility of the GI track if you have an infectious diarrhea. Such as no lomotil etc in it. (DOn't quote me on that though, pharm was a ways off and I am a little rusty on the actual names) Anyone out there know what I am saying?

Thanks to all! We were very careful about not drinking any water down there. Even brushed my teeth with bottled water.

As for now...I haven't taken anything except what they gave me in the ER, which was something for the nausea and cramping. However, the doc said the same thing about not wanting to give me something to stop the di-a-rea (I never can spell that!) for fear that my body NEEDS to do that to expell whatever bug I have. However, it's going on a week now and the cramping was getting better, but seems to be coming back pretty bad. I haven't been vomiting....but I'm on a pretty good schedule with the 'other'.

I am calling the doctor tomorrow if today doesn't go well.

This has really bummed me out because I know that some 2005'ers are in Kville now and I would love to meet up with you, especially those who have contacted me. Believe me! It isn't that I don't want to socialize. I just don't venture too far from the house!

I've heard this can last 2 weeks. It is getting to me so much because I can't get back into my normal 'routine' of things, which I seriously need!

Hope your feeling better soon. I read an article in our school's newspaper about one specific hotel in Mexico that was under investigation by the US health department and the CDC. It seems that during last spring break that alot of our students came down with similiar symptoms like yours. The problem was not the water but mold in the A/C or something along those lines. I don't remember the name of the hotel but if your symptoms don't improve I would suggest checking the CDC's online website. Good Luck.