Got emotional during an interview?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lannister

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had my first interview today and it was an MMI. The first six stations went really well, I feel like I totally rocked those questions. The 7th station also went really well, actually it was probably my best station. However, it was an acting station and the actor's story hit close to home. After that station, I got a bit emotional, and was really off during the 8th and final station. I didn't actually cry, but my voice was shaking and the lady could definitely tell I was upset. She was nice about it, and I was able to answer the questions (my responses were pretty disorganized, tho), but I will definitely be getting a low score for that station.

Is this really bad? Should I be expecting a rejection on October 15th, or could I still have hope?

Members don't see this ad.

I think you answered your question within the context.. it was 1/8 stations and that is the subtle beauty of an MMI; not everything hinges on one instance.

Reactions: 3 users
I think you answered your question within the context.. it was 1/8 stations and that is the subtle beauty of an MMI; not everything hinges on one instance.

Okay, that's what I was hoping! I was just wondering if getting emotional is so bad that they would discount the good scores =/

Members don't see this ad :)
You're fine buddy. How was MMI overall? My first one is in ~ two weeks.

Okay, that's what I was hoping! I was just wondering if getting emotional is so bad that they would discount the good scores =/
Honestly, a shaking voice indicates things outside of sadness or being thrown. The interviewer could've attributed it to really bad nerves or something else. I would shake it off!

Reactions: 1 users
You're fine buddy. How was MMI overall? My first one is in ~ two weeks.

For the most part it was actually fun, don't stress about it. I especially liked the situations with actors.

Honestly, a shaking voice indicates things outside of sadness or being thrown. The interviewer could've attributed it to really bad nerves or something else. I would shake it off!

Yeah that's true, hopefully she just thought I was nervous and gave bad answers!

Yeah that's true, hopefully she just thought I was nervous and gave bad answers!

Why would them thinking you were nervous be better than thinking you got emotional from another station? I don't think that reflects poorly at all. Of course if it affects the quality of your answers it's not the greatest thing in the world, but if they thought you had gotten a bit upset from an acting station I would think that would be more sympathetic than just nerves.

Reactions: 1 user
Why would them thinking you were nervous be better than thinking you got emotional from another station? I don't think that reflects poorly at all. Of course if it affects the quality of your answers it's not the greatest thing in the world, but if they thought you had gotten a bit upset from an acting station I would think that would be more sympathetic than just nerves.

Yeah I agree but I didn't tell her I was emotional about the previous station. I don't know, I guess nerves doesn't seem as bad because it's probably a lot more common than getting emotional.

was this the Cincinnati MMI?

Torn on this one.

Physicians carry with them the serious responsibility of the health of another human. As an educator, I have had some horrific days. Once, a student of mine was killed blocks from my classroom and the news was giving to me minutes before students were to be in their seats. You have to shake that off, provide the service you know they deserve and then you can be human. That day, after the final bell had rung and the students left my classroom, I turned those lights off and cried. I cried in that empty dark room for almost thirty minutes.

I failed to do this properly years before. I was shadowing a pediatric neurosurgeon who had to tell the parents of a sixteen year old child that she would never recover. She was the victim of a drunk driver and had suffered serious brain damage. Before he could finish explaining the situation to the parents, my eyes met her mother's. Mine started to water and she knew. She started crying uncontrollably. That moment still haunts me.

Been on both sides of this. Try to use this as a learning opportunity; It will be worth it.

Reactions: 10 users
I failed to do this properly years before. I was shadowing a pediatric neurosurgeon who had to tell the parents of a sixteen year old child that she would never recover. She was the victim of a drunk driver and had suffered serious brain damage. Before he could finish explaining the situation to the parents, my eyes met her mother's. Mine started to water and she knew. She started crying uncontrollably. That moment still haunts me.
I know you aren't generally supposed to tear up in moments like this so you don't want that kind of thing to happen again, but is it possible that there is maybe a little bit of good in this? Perhaps maybe seeing you tear up showed the parents of that child that you weren't just medical professionals giving lip service to the whole: "We care about our patients and are upset when they don't have good outcomes," thing. Maybe seeing your tears showed them that the people caring for their daughter really did care about her and were working hard to provide good care for her for reasons beyond just pay checks.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know you aren't generally supposed to tear up in moments like this so you don't want that kind of thing to happen again, but is it possible that there is maybe a little bit of good in this? Perhaps maybe seeing you tear up showed the parents of that child that you weren't just medical professionals giving lip service to the whole: "We care about our patients and are upset when they don't have good outcomes," thing. Maybe seeing your tears showed them that the people caring for their daughter really did care about her and were working hard to provide good care for her for reasons beyond just pay checks.

These feels

You'll be fine.

I had my first interview today and it was an MMI. The first six stations went really well, I feel like I totally rocked those questions. The 7th station also went really well, actually it was probably my best station. However, it was an acting station and the actor's story hit close to home. After that station, I got a bit emotional, and was really off during the 8th and final station. I didn't actually cry, but my voice was shaking and the lady could definitely tell I was upset. She was nice about it, and I was able to answer the questions (my responses were pretty disorganized, tho), but I will definitely be getting a low score for that station.

Is this really bad? Should I be expecting a rejection on October 15th, or could I still have hope?

@nwts

I understand your point. I think it is situational and you may be right. But from my experience, I have concluded it is better to have the strength to divorce yourself from these outbursts and focus on the task at hand. After this event, the neurosurgeon still had to rush home to see his children before they went to sleep and to spend at few moments with his wife. He can't bring that home either, nor should he bring it into the next patient's room if he had to return to rounds after the surgery instead. This stuff eats your heart away over the years; I've seen defeat in every pediatric neurosurgeon I've ever talked to. I'm told they experience the highest highs but the lowest lows. I guess they temper themselves for the lows and enjoy the highs while they can.

I think you will be fine - it shows that you are capable of caring / being emotional. You will be harden in med school soon enough.

@nwts

I understand your point. I think it is situational and you may be right. But from my experience, I have concluded it is better to have the strength to divorce yourself from these outbursts and focus on the task at hand. After this event, the neurosurgeon still had to rush home to see his children before they went to sleep and to spend at few moments with his wife. He can't bring that home either, nor should he bring it into the next patient's room if he had to return to rounds after the surgery instead. This stuff eats your heart away over the years; I've seen defeat in every pediatric neurosurgeon I've ever talked to. I'm told they experience the highest highs but the lowest lows. I guess they temper themselves for the lows and enjoy the highs while they can.
Yeah, I definitely think that the general rule should be to try not to get too emotional. However, I think people should cut themselves some slack if they, on very infrequent occasions, get a little emotional. It shows your human side.

In one station at a recent MMI, the guy asked me if I needed a tissue. UGH, said, No, I can pull it together. No tears, but was definitely emotional. I know I should not be so emotional, but it is who/how I am. Explained that was one of my weaknesses, too much empathy. MMIs are definitely not my strong suit.

Thank you guys for your responses. I guess it is what it is, and I might as well just stop thinking about it until October 15th :p

In one station at a recent MMI, the guy asked me if I needed a tissue. UGH, said, No, I can pull it together. No tears, but was definitely emotional. I know I should not be so emotional, but it is who/how I am. Explained that was one of my weaknesses, too much empathy. MMIs are definitely not my strong suit.

:( Sorry it happened to you, too. I wonder if there is anything we can do to like not be so uncontrollably emotional. I've always been like this, but I know I can't be crying in front of patients or anything.

Thank you guys for your responses. I guess it is what it is, and I might as well just stop thinking about it until October 15th :p

:( Sorry it happened to you, too. I wonder if there is anything we can do to like not be so uncontrollably emotional. I've always been like this, but I know I can't be crying in front of patients or anything.
We are what we are. We'll see if our "differences" and abundance of empathy will be penalized.

Empathetic=\= emotional. Sorry to sound harsh, but pull yourself together for interviews!

That said, it's not like you broke down crying or anything. It doesn't sound that bad. I think you'll be fine!

My coworker cries when she hits too many red lights, and I haven't cried since 4th grade. People are different.

Empathetic=\= emotional.

Also this ^. I rarely if ever get emotional, would this mean I just entirely lack empathy...?

My coworker cries when she hits too many red lights, and I haven't cried since 4th grade. People are different.

Also this ^. I rarely if ever get emotional, would this mean I just entirely lack empathy...?
Lol no. Shes saying being emotional does not equate to being empathetic. No need to be concerned :)

I never liked doing MMIs. But as long as you gave good answers, then you're fine.

You don't want to be thought of as nervous, being genuinely emotional is fine. From experience it is likely for you to have been interpreted as nervous, and that's not a good thing.

ugh not that MMI. That place has the nastiest most curveball "shock value" MMI. Great school, but their MMI is ridiculous in the worst way.

Potential Med Students who do not like the MMI, UNITE!!

I liked the MMI a lot up until that stupid 8th station. It was actually pretty fun!

I'm fine with MMIs, just not Cincinnati's. It's built to intimidate applicants. The actors are way too in character and the evaluators are downright nasty.
Wow, MSU MMI the people were fine, and the evaluators okay too. Just didn't like the awkwardness of the "play acting". Seemed so contrived.

I'm fine with MMIs, just not Cincinnati's. It's built to intimidate applicants. The actors are way too in character and the evaluators are downright nasty.

Wow, that's interesting, I feel like we had very different experiences. It's definitely true that the actors were very in character, it was actually kind of impressive. But after both of the acting scenarios, the second they told us to move to the other room, the actors dropped the act and smiled at me and shook my hand.
Some of the interviewers did seem kind of grumpy, particularly one guy who just refused to show any emotion, but I got him to smile eventually haha. But most of them seemed really nice! Especially the lady whose station I almost cried during lmao.

Wow now I'm really curious as to what the MMI station was!

Haha it was really nothing interesting, you wouldn't be at all surprised if I told you what it was.

I have no idea what the MMI questions are but I could imagine some that would not be super crazy, but rather theatrical twists on some old questions, but that could be very emotional such as, "you've just received a 6 year old child by ambulance who is in shock and in need of a blood transfusion. You are speaking to the child's parent." You go in and the "parent" states that the family has religious objection to blood transfusion. The "parent" could be verbally aggressive and threatening legal action and/or break down emotionally.

Haha. I feel like I wouldn't do well in these MMIs.

Since I know that these are fictional situations/questions, I don't think I could get emotional (not to denigrate anyone that does).

And I can't act for ****.

Well, I just got accepted to this school, so I guess crying during an interview isn't an automatic reject!

Reactions: 8 users
I sort of know what you mean @Lannister - In one of my interviews I was on the verge of tears talking about how much I love the school haha so real though

Well, I just got accepted to this school, so I guess crying during an interview isn't an automatic reject!
LANNISTER, you got accepted and changed your status. I've been rooting for ya!!! YipppPPPPPEEEEE

what is the right answer here? i am leaning towards the child not having agency over his/her religious beliefs and the duty on part of the healthcare team to deliver a widely accepted treatment for a life threatening condition supercedes the religious beliefs of the parents?

Look it up... there are tons of resources regarding blood transfusions and other treatments for minors over the objections of the parents. I would not ask this sort of question of pre-meds as I think that it is beyond their level of training but I have heard that some schools do ask these "ethics questions".

what is the right answer here? i am leaning towards the child not having agency over his/her religious beliefs and the duty on part of the healthcare team to deliver a widely accepted treatment for a life threatening condition supercedes the religious beliefs of the parents?

I've been told that if the patient is going to die right there if X procedure isn't done immediately, you just do it and deal with the backlash later. Of course, that's once you've gotten that MD/DO. For the MMI I guess you just have to use crafty talking to "convince" the actor.

I ask a similar question, knowing full well that the interviewees don't have insider knowledge. I just like to see how their mindsets are, and would definitely ding someone for saying "well, it's the parent's decision, because it is their child.." But I can suss out patriarchal, if not outright misogynistic attitudes from some of the other ethics questions in my bank!

Look it up... there are tons of resources regarding blood transfusions and other treatments for minors over the objections of the parents. I would not ask this sort of question of pre-meds as I think that it is beyond their level of training but I have heard that some schools do ask these "ethics questions".

MMIs: How many more hoops can we make people jump through that we didn't have to do when we went to medical school before we knew what DNA was? :rolleyes:

I've got my first MMI coming up in 3 weeks and I'm not looking forward to it. I get why it's used as an evaluation technique since it's unbiased, but as a tool to gauge the people skills of an applicant, it's not as good as a 1-1. A doctor needs to be able to establish a rapport with his patients and colleagues, and he'll always have more than 8 minutes to do so. MMI doesn't like the people persons (what doctors should be) exhibit their people skills.

I've got my first MMI coming up in 3 weeks and I'm not looking forward to it. I get why it's used as an evaluation technique since it's unbiased, but as a tool to gauge the people skills of an applicant, it's not as good as a 1-1. A doctor needs to be able to establish a rapport with his patients and colleagues, and he'll always have more than 8 minutes to do so. MMI doesn't like the people persons (what doctors should be) exhibit their people skills.

I kind of have to disagree. I think the acting scenarios in MMIs are great opportunities to demonstrate your people skills.

I kind of have to disagree. I think the acting scenarios in MMIs are great opportunities to demonstrate your people skills.

My MMI did not have any of those. It was basically 8 short semi-stress interviews often about subjects I couldn't be expected to know much about as an applicant. I understand the value of the exercise, but it left me next to no room to show off my personality.

So about as effective as sp sessions then. No thank you.