Got into Columbia? NYU? Sinai? Cornell?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

biophysicbadass

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hope no one thinks this is lame, but I really could use help from those who got into these schools to give a rough outline of themselves (stats, major, etc). I have a tough decision to make regarding applying this year or next, it would help me to have a rough idea of where I stand with regard to these schools (all of which I love). I know there is a got in give your stats thread, but I would really like to know about these places in particular. And please don't refer me to the MSAR, I am not looking for averages but rather ranges and personal qualities you felt made a difference. Thanks kindly to all those who reply.

Members don't see this ad.

I got into Columbia off the waitlist and NYU in Nov. I was a neuroscience major/chem minor with a 3.7 Cum GPA and 3.8 science. I got a 40-42 on the April MCAT.
Now those are just numbers. There's people who get into those schools with a very broad range of numbers. My high MCAT score offset my weak volunteering and research experience and I'm sure my crappy essays (I was working 72 hrs/wk while applying, so I was really bad about my essays). I post this information just because I would have liked to have it when I was applying, but don't let it sway your decision too much. When I looked at successful applicant's stats from previous years at my school, I was below them in terms of GPA at most schools, but I applied to the schools I wanted to anyway and I'm obviously happy with the results. Sorry, long answer to a simple question :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I forgot to add, I didn't even get an interview at Cornell. So, that's the other side of the coin :) Good luck.

My friend got into Columbia off the wait list with a 3.8 and 35-36 and really good research experience. Not much in the way of EC's.

i hear that schools like columbia especially place high emphasis on the undergrad you went to; is this the general impression anyone got from incoming classes or fellow interviewees? goodluck all.
-jot

I got interviews at all 4 of these places, but didn't attend the NYU one because I had already received an acceptance I'd take over NYU. In the end I was waitlisted at Columbia and Cornell, and rejected at Sinai. At application time I had about a 3.8 cumulative GPA from Brown (3.75 or so BCPM), and an interesting resume, including lots of research, a publication, and some great clinical experience. My MCAT score is 36R (11V, 13PS, 12BS). I subsequently dropped the waitlists spots at Columbia and Cornell because I got into my 2nd choice school, and was waitlisted at my 1st choice. I hope this is helpful! :)

How aboutyou post your stats and EC's and then let us compare.

I got into Columbia and Sinai and was waitlisted at NYU and Cornell which I withdrew from right away after learning the news.

OK, I listed my stats on the thread entitled apply now with masters or wait for PhD? Non-tradiational applicant.
Here's the deal: graduated 1999 from UCLA with a double in Physics and Physiological Sciences. Working full time first 3.5 yrs (father became very ill, work disabled), GPA 2.75
after that:3.85 until graduation. Total=3.1
Worked for a year as a bank consultant
Masters biomedical physics UCLA, GPA 3.85
Concurrent postbacc classes GPA:3.9
MCAT:11V, 13PS, 13BS R
Published research in undergrad (1yr), volunteer work at county and Africa
Grad research in radiation biology (1yr)
Physics TA at UCLA for 1yr
Great LOR

You all can see that the MSAR can't help me since my undergrad GPA is way below average and my MCAT above average. I am scared to death that these schools might look at my undergrad GPA, even though it was a long time ago and circumstantial, and dismiss me right there. If I applied now it would probably be for the MSTP, but I would go MD as well.

I think you are set man. If you can write a great Personal Statement everything is great! You have a reason for lower than average GPA and your MCAT will help offset it! You have an upward trend in your GPA and you have yoru masters. You have AFrica volunteer experience which every school will eat up...(everyone I know who has been to africa has gotten into a top 10 school...even if their gpa and mcat were lower than average).

I think you are set for each of those schools and even more if you come off well at your interviews.
You're set dogg...the badass fits ya..haha

Thanks Scooby,
your words of encouragement are uplifting. This whole process can make you doubt yourself. I hope you turn out to be correct. Do you think it helps that my fiancee lives in NYC? I get the impression from some that its a sign of weakness if you mention that as one of your reasons, from others that it would be a good thing to metion on a secondary. I love all those schools because I love cancer biology and they are all strong on cancer research, the fact that my fiancee lives there is of course something to be considered but not by any means a reason in and of itself. Not sure how to approach that one.

Tommy,
If you dont mind me asking, where are you headed?

sean

•••quote:•••Originally posted by biophysicbadass:
•Thanks Scooby,
your words of encouragement are uplifting I hope you turn out to be correct. Do you think it helps that my fiancee lives in NYC? I get the impression from some that its a sign of weakness if you mention that as one of your reasons, from others that it would be a good thing to metion on a secondary. I love all those schools because I love cancer biology and they are all strong on cancer research, the fact that my fiancee lives there is of course something to be considered but not by any means a reason in and of itself. Not sure how to approach that one.•••••No prob. Yes, definitely mention your fiance being in New York as a REASON for "WHY Cornell, Columbia, etc etc" Do not say it's your #1 reason but do say it's a very very very strong motivating factor. LIke if they ask you, "Why would you want to come all the way over here?" Or somethign like that if you are from Cali..then you have a good reason for that...

TOtally bring up the cancer research too..especially cornell I think.

The fiance thing is def not a sign of weakness. Most schools are very accomodating to couples and such.

So def mention it at those schools. Don't put it in your "general application" b/c then all schools will see that and that could probably hurt you at other schools. Just mention it in secondaries and on columbia's specific application.

•••quote:•••Originally posted by la9s:
•Tommy,
If you dont mind me asking, where are you headed?

sean•••••As of right now, Penn. But if I get into Duke off the waitlist I'll definitely be going there.

I'm a Cornell med student-just finished my second year. I had a 35R MCAT, a 3.98 gpa, research experience (but no publications) and clinical experience (working on an inpatient hospital floor for one year after undergrad). I majored in biochem and minored in art, with significant time spent in writing and lit classes. I also volunteered at a nursing home for two years and spent some summers overseas. I graduated from a little-known liberal arts college in Seattle.

The range of MCATs in my class is from about 32-42, from what I've heard, and the gpas are just as variable. About 65-70% of my class went to Ivy League undergrad schools, and there is a large URM population in the four medical school classes.

Regarding applying to Cornell, they LOVE people with "life experience," which it sounds like you've got. They also LOVE international experiences--its a big deal around here. It also doesn't hurt if you're from Siberia or New Guinea or Saskatchewan (I'm from Alaska, and I think that played a big role in my acceptance). Finally, they really like people with demonstrated interest and experience in BOTH science and a field outside of science.

Looking at your stats, you look like a very competitive candidate for Cornell. If you write good essays, and if you interview well (interviews here are more to test out your personality and your ability to chat than to put you on the spot with tough questions), you should do great! :)