Goucher Maryland Linkage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

henge

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Goucher's website indicates that 6 of its 10 linkers are going to University of Maryland. Does anyone know what the MCAT requirement is for that link? How hard it is to establish Maryland residency? Whether Maryland pretty much always agrees to link with Goucher applicants? Other reasons why most Goucher linkers choose Maryland? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Goucher's website indicates that 6 of its 10 linkers are going to University of Maryland. Does anyone know what the MCAT requirement is for that link? How hard it is to establish Maryland residency? Whether Maryland pretty much always agrees to link with Goucher applicants? Other reasons why most Goucher linkers choose Maryland? Thanks.

I believe the MCAT requirement for the Maryland link is 32. If you start changing things like voter registration, car registration, etc soon after starting at Goucher, then you'll most likely be offered in-state status if you link to Maryland.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'whether Maryland pretty much always agrees to link with Goucher applicants.' All link schools reserve the right to turn down a link applicant at any point during the process. They can opt not to interview, reject you after an interview, or accept you and then rescind the acceptance if you do not meet the MCAT or GPA cutoffs. That all holds true for Maryland, too.

Different students choose to link or not link for different reasons. Likewise, they choose which schools to link to for different reasons. I know a number of people in my year and the year after chose their schools based primarily on geography, for example. They wanted to be close to partners, family, or friends. That was true for a number of Maryland linkers. The appeal of in-state status was a draw, I'm sure, but I wouldn't say it was a primary motivating factor for all the applicants that I've talked to.

Thanks. Since posting, I've heard from a former Goucher student who said the MCAT requirement for UMD was 31 (could have changed?). He/she indicated that, while there were no guarantees, Goucher students had been very successful in linking to UMD over the short time the link has existed. As you suggested, students link for different reasons, rather than any one particular reason.