MD GPA 3.6, MCAT 28

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

premedstudent794613

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a CA resident and I have taken the MCAT twice now, first time 24 and second time 28 and have a sGPA of 3.6 and cGPA of 3.7.

Major in Biomedical Engineering

EC's:
120 hours of volunteering
50 hours of shadowing
Worked in research lab for 4 years -- no publications yet :(
Leadership positions in two engineering organizations
Founder of honor society on campus
Internship in Medical Device Company

Do I have any chance at MD schools in the US?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't bother applying MD. You would need more ECs and a higher MCAT to make up for the GPA. Either apply DO or take a couple years off working on those things.

Your EC's aren't bad. I'd find something to make them a little more unique (something non-medically related) if you haven't already, but just didn't list them here.

In terms of MCAT, I would 100% retake that if you want a shot at MD. Your GPA won't keep you from getting accepted (except to top tier schools maybe).

Members don't see this ad :)
I know many ppl got in with a 28 , but the rest of your app has to shine. I would say retake if possible, try to do more volunteer work! (clinical and non clinical!)

retake MCAT.

Reactions: 1 user
Strongly concur. I suspect that you've reached your ceiling with the MCAT.

I wouldn't bother applying MD. You would need more ECs and a higher MCAT to make up for the GPA. Either apply DO or take a couple years off working on those things.[/quote]

I would def apply to both MD schools (your state schools and some low tier private school) and DO schools.