GPA and DAT combinations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentite24

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For a student to give themselves good chances (have a good shot at their state school(s) and a few quality OOS schools), what would you say that the GPA and DAT score combinations would be these days (considering that they probably have average enrollee statistics on most everything on their app and in their interview)?
I'm thinking the combinations need to at least be:
3.9-4.0 ... 19
3.7-3.9 ... 20
3.5-3.7 ... 21
3.3-3.5 ... 22
3.0-3.3 ... 23-24

I just figured it would be interesting to see what people thought about this, especially with the rising DAT scores out there. And, I figured it could help people guide themselves a little to see where they are at.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For a student to give themselves good chances (have a good shot at their state school(s) and a few quality OOS schools), what would you say that the GPA and DAT score combinations would be these days (considering that they probably have average enrollee statistics on most everything on their app and in their interview)?
3.9-4.0 ... 19
3.7-3.9 ... 20
3.5-3.7 ... 21
3.3-3.5 ... 22
3.0-3.3 ... 23-24
<3.0 ... 25 or above

I just figured it would be interesting to see what people thought about this, especially with the rising DAT scores out there. And, I figured it could help people guide themselves a little to see where they are at.

It is funny because I would question how someone with a 4.0 only got a 19.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
3.9-4.0 ... 19
3.7-3.9 ... 20
3.5-3.7 ... 21
3.3-3.5 ... 22
3.0-3.3 ... 23-24
<3.0 ... 25 or above

This would not fly in CA...

Members don't see this ad :)
3.9-4.0 ... 19
3.7-3.9 ... 20
3.5-3.7 ... 21
3.3-3.5 ... 22
3.0-3.3 ... 23-24
<3.0 ... 25 or above

From what I understand, a lot of schools have cutoffs for anything below a 3.0... So <3.0 ... post bacc + 21+ DAT
And in terms of "having a good chance", I feel like any DAT 21+ will give you a good chance. I don't think you necessarily need to get a DAT score in the 99th percentile (23+) just because you fall below a 3.5 GPA. But then again, I could be completely wrong!

Just my two cents

If anyone with a 3.9+ gpa gets anything less than a 20 or 21 then I'd question the integrity and difficulty of their university.

Reactions: 5 users
It is funny because I would question how someone with a 4.0 only got a 19.

It's all based on how much time you have to do things... A 4.0 student will typically be one that packs the schedule full, so maybe there just was not nearly enough time to study for the DAT. While some 3.2 and 23 students apply at a much later age (despite having the same or lesser ECs than the 4.0 student), and had ample time to study for their DAT and probably DAT re-take. I think sometimes tests are way over-valued. I see GPA and DAT as separate and equal entities.
It's really all perspective... Everyone's time and money situations are different.

Last edited:
If anyone with a 3.9+ gpa gets anything less than a 20 or 21 then I'd question the integrity and difficulty of their university.
I've seen a quite a few people on SDN with those stats. Usually it's some small school though, but hey it is what it is. That's why we all take the DAT so students don't get an advantage depending on the rigor of their schools.

Reactions: 1 user
It's all based on how much time you have to do things... A 4.0 student has beaten the curve in all of their classes with pre-med and pre-dent students, is probably a go-getter with a packed schedule and stellar ECs, and has probably done everything on track (early applicant at the age of 20 or 21). They probably only had the time to study for a few short weeks. While that 3.2 student showed much less determination and intelligence in their classes, probably took 5-6 years to get the same ECs as the 4.0 student (who only took 2-3 years), and probably studied for an entire summer (and maybe TWO summers if they re-took) to get their 23. I think sometimes tests are way over-valued. I see GPA and DAT as separate and equal entities.

From my experience for someone to get 19AA they have to have gotten about 20 questions wrong in the sciences, 15 wrong in QR, and 15-20 wrong in RC. I don't see how someone with a 4.0 gets that many wrong especially in the sciences. These are the courses that we as presents focus on, and if you can not achieve a decent score, then one may question how you got your 4.0.

Reactions: 1 users
From my experience for someone to get 19AA they have to have gotten about 20 questions wrong in the sciences, 15 wrong in QR, and 15-20 wrong in RC. I don't see how someone with a 4.0 gets that many wrong especially in the sciences. These are the courses that we as presents focus on, and if you can not achieve a decent score, then one may question how you got your 4.0.
They might think I have a 4.0 I can wing the DAT and probably still get in.

But that's just making it sound like a 3.7/19 person has an equal or better chance than the 4.0/19, which is completely outrageous... A 4.0 in college is impressive! If you are going to pretty much any state school or some school that's not a no-name d3 or d2 or community college, you're probably getting a good standard education, so the school difficulty should not be in question most times.

I think if you have a higher GPA, it should correlate to a higher TS score and not necessarily a higher AA. The reason is because 90% of the classes we take are science based classes, which don't necessarily prepare us for subjects such as math.

Reactions: 2 users
I would imagine that dental schools care most about the TS and PAT scores, but I could be very wrong - just postulating here.

Also, I would definitely agree about the rigor of one's schedule affecting their overall performance. Clearly, someone who tries to balance studying for the DAT with a family to take care of, working, taking a full course load, etc. will have a much more difficult time in preparing for their exam. Because of that, I think it is important for dental schools to look at any grade or exam score holistically (which I am certain they do).

I've seen a quite a few people on SDN with those stats. Usually it's some small school though, but hey it is what it is. That's why we all take the DAT so students don't get an advantage depending on the rigor of their schools.
My small/medium school is hands down wayyy harder (especially for intro classes and core) than schools like university of Michigan, Illinois, and Arizona

My small/medium school is hands down wayyy harder (especially for intro classes and core) than schools like university of Michigan, Illinois, and Arizona
From what I've seen the people who post that tend to say they go a small school or liberal arts type school. I didn't mean to make it sound like small schools are easy.