GPA and DAT Competitive still?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tang0mang0

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I go to a large public school with a pretty strong academic reputation. I had a 3.7 before my last year, but my last two semesters of college pulled it down to a 3.588... I think my science GPA is higher since I am a double major (biochemistry and a liberal arts major) and the classes in my B.A. have been the main source of decrease for my GPA, but I have not bothered to calculate it...

My DAT:
22 AA
20 TS
19 OC
20 BIO
26 GC
26 RC
19 QR
18 PAT

I'm worried that my decrease in GPA combined with my substandard QR/PAT/OC scores are going to affect my chances with a state school, seeing there's a forecast in rising competition, and I'm applying for the class of 2012. :( Any opinions or comments? Thanks. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I go to a large public school with a pretty strong academic reputation. I had a 3.7 before my last year, but my last two semesters of college pulled it down to a 3.588... I think my science GPA is higher since I am a double major (biochemistry and a liberal arts major) and the classes in my B.A. have been the main source of decrease for my GPA, but I have not bothered to calculate it...

My DAT:
22 AA
20 TS
19 OC
20 BIO
26 GC
26 RC
19 QR
18 PAT

I'm worried that my decrease in GPA combined with my substandard QR/PAT/OC scores are going to affect my chances with a state school, seeing there's a forecast in rising competition, and I'm applying for the class of 2012. :( Any opinions or comments? Thanks. :)

You should be ok...and yes competition will be tough when you apply. Try your hardest to keep that GPA above 3.5. Don't freak out, your scores are very "competitive" for most dental schools.

you should be competitive. your DAT scores will make up for your decrease in GPA. also, the science GPA is pretty important, what do you have?

i got accepted with a 3.54 overall gpa and a 3.3 science gpa

Members don't see this ad :)
hahah wow the thought of graduating hasn't sunk in. I forgot to mention that I just recently graduated this Fall LOL.

mm my science GPA should be above 3.5... I haven't actually taken the time to calculate it, but I should do so once my transcript comes in.

Congrats on your acceptances, chemboy & jfglue :)

damn... 26 RC.... I seriously wonder what kind of people get that kind of score.

My DAT:
22 AA
20 TS
19 OC
20 BIO
26 GC
26 RC
19 QR
18 PAT

I am not trying to be an ass, but people with 3.58 and 22AA shouldn't be asking "what are my chances"... you should be smart enough to figure this out on your own

The "substandard scores" will likely hurt big time. Was the "forecast in rising competition" in the 2011 Farmer's Almanac?

Last edited:
Why do people think dental school admissions will get more competitive?

simple numbers..every year there are more people that are going to college >> more people graduating >> more people applying..the number of spots at dental school are static usually which means there's more competition!

this is just my guess...

I like to think about the economic state of the country. When your standard bachelors and masters degree folks have a hard time landing jobs (or keeping existing jobs) in their respective fiends, thats when they start turning thier attention into health care since this is one of those fields thats still going strong (income wise)....The principle behind this is, people will always get sick (aka need healthcare services) irrespective of thier economic conditions.

Clearly, I don't have any data to back this up, but I am willing to be that there has been an increase in number of non-traditional students applying to healthcare schools in the past few years (3-5 years)