GPA and GRE -- offset?

Discussion in 'Psychology [Psy.D. / Ph.D.]' started by scienceisbeauty, Jun 14, 2008.

1. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    Ok, I have a crap CGPA - It's a 3.61. I want a program that has an average undergraduate GPA of 3.79.

The average GRE scores of the program are 590 verbal and 695 math. For a 1285 total. Now for me, I'm taking my GRE AUG 30.

If I were to get a wicked GRE score -- say 1400+ or 1500+ would I still have a shot do you think? Or better yet, what do you think I should get for a GRE score to still have a shot at this school?

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  2. myelin

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Sometimes it can, sometimes not. Schools also look at relevant reserach experience as well as LORs. If your GRE score ends up falling below their cut-off and you still want to apply, you should contact the professor that you're interested in working with to explain the situation. Many schools state something like "although we require the GRE, we consider other factors such as previous research experience, letters of recommendation, papers published, etc."

Good luck on the GRE. I'm re-taking it again on Aug. 21. We should probably get off SDN and study, eh?

3. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    yes, yes, yes we should. *SIGH* --scared--

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. shock-me-sane

shock-me-sane RN, PhD to come
    2+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    If it makes you feel any better I got into my dream school with a way crappier CGPA (3.35) and a 1330 on the GRE. Their averages range from a GPA of 3.6-3.7 and ~1300 on the GRE.

Yes, n=1 here but, numbers don't always trump all.

Good luck!

and your gpa is FAR from anything near crappy!

#4 shock-me-sane, Jun 14, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2008
  5. JockNerd

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    On a 4.0 scale? That's not a crap GPA. It's fine. Completely within standard ranges. You'll pass every school's cutoff and then other things (research experience, fit, etc.) will matter more.

6. BorntoRun

5+ Year Member

What JN said. (That line is becoming quite popular, isn't it? :laugh:)

7. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology

But the average for the school I want is a 3.79...and then my 3.61 doesn't compare. I didn't think.
    It's reassuring to hear that it might not be as crap as I thought...

8. JockNerd

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Means without standard deviations are (say it with me) uninterpretable.

The range isn't going to be 3.78 to 3.80. "Doesn't compare"? You're .18 away from the mean. It's not low. And it's the mean of admitted students, anyway, not a cutoff.

9. BorntoRun

5+ Year Member

A 3.61 shouldn't tank you anywhere if the rest of your application is really solid. That's especially if the 3.61 comes from a really reputable school, but even with a middle-of-the-road reputation for your undergrad, you'll beat any cut-off (usually 3.0 or 3.5 at the very highest). I wouldn't stress about it - once you're past the cut-offs, GREs and LORs are WAY more important than a 0.15 point fluctuation in GPA.

10. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    I feel *SO* reassured now ...thanks guys.
    Yeah I come from a Canadian uni - from a top notch university , one of the 3 "sister schools" in Canada

I have pretty solid research experience, and will be gaining some more before I apply

11. EquestriAnn

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    Good lord, 3.61 is nowhere near "crap." I can't figure out if people who say things like that are fishing for compliments or simply lacking common sense. That's like saying the average weight for my height is 120, and since I'm 121 I must be overweight. FYI, if you are given an average, it means that some of the numbers are lower and some are higher. I'm sure they have admitted many a folk with below a 3.5 (gasp!), as well as some with a stellar 4.0. If you bomb the GRE, however, you may have something to worry about. But your GPA of 0.18 lower than the average they accepted last year should not be a kiss of death.

12. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    That's from another thread, but see, since I'm from Canada, our GPA system works differently. Notice too how JN said that some schools told him not to apply because he was on the 'cusp of the cummulative gpa for a few schools'. So I figured that having a 3.61 GPA and the school's average being what it was, I ought not to bother to apply, and that's why I thought my GPA was crap.

13. JockNerd

5+ Year Member

Psychology Student
    Some of the Canadian schools have a gpa cutoff at 3.5. My cumulative was 3.35, I think, at app time.

14. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology

Was it 3.35 to the converted American GPA or was it 3.35 of the Canadian GPA?
    Eh. I just don't know what my GPA would be Americanized. I guess the application forms would tell me how to convert...

15. scienceisbeauty

2+ Year Member

Pre-Psychology
    Do you think they take the original GPA into consideration when it's coverted?