GPA and MCAT score correlation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
From my experience and statistics gathered from both Kaplan and Princeton Review, the answer is actually...no.

Science majors tend to do the worst on average while those in the humanities (like english) tend to do better on the average. As long as you do fine in the pre-reqs, its just based on your ability to read, reason, understand sound arguments and make logical conclusions. Humanities majors just read all the time...cause they have to. That's what its really all about.

I know a couple of Government and Politics majors who DESTROYED the MCAT.

It is true though that depending on school and major, GPA definitely does not tell the whole story by any means.

Actually they told us that at Kaplan too but really, it's one of my pet peeves now. This would be valid if we could be certain there was no selection bias but my guess is there's probably quite a heavy one. I mean what percentage of the humanities majors take the MCAT? I'd think they'd basically self select and only those that would do well would bother to take the test. (Versus bio where I'd expect even some of the sub par students take the MCAT.) Hell, I'm not even considering what kind of student goes into the major. (IE how does the average intelligence of a philosophy major compare to say a bio major?)

Anyway to talk about the topic I guess I'm an example. (GPA 2.8, BCMP 3.4, and MCAT 33. Yes, I really do find science easier than that other stuff I mostly hate:D )

Members don't see this ad.

ok here's some data...but its from all of my college's med school applicants from 2000-2005. small sample size and a poor representation since its a top 50 liberal arts college: take that for what its worth

mcatgpa1171940397.JPG

Not to be completely insensitive or anything, but somebody got into medical school with a 17-18 MCAT? Really?

Sucks to be that one hollow dot in the top right quadrant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yup, I have a solid GPA but a just-above-average MCAT... but I've seen people on here who have killed both... so it might just be by chance and not because there's an actual correlation. :>

ah, I guess that's what the AAMC stuff is all about.

very strange. he must have had one hell of a personal statement to explain that one.

who knows?

my college has a great reputation with the local med schools, so it really doesn't surprise me that someone with stats that low got in, especially if they had a good PS, LORs, and ECs (URM status might not hurt either, but I don't know who that individual is).

like I said earlier, the data set is not very representative to the whole applicant pool since it is a liberal arts school full of affluent students