GPA calculation for retake

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pezeshkbartar

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have read this message on the forum and I want to be sure if it is 100% accurate since at different places in the forum people say different things.

" For retakes the two grades are averaged.
For example:
If you take a 4 credit class and get at C, and retake it and get an A, it becomes 4 units of B."

I would like to make sure the above statement is correct and it would not count as 8 units of B. Furthermore, I was also wondering in AMCAS GPA calculator; how would you put a class as repeat. Thanks a lot for all the future responses.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I have read this message on the forum and I want to be sure if it is 100% accurate since at different places in the forum people say different things.

" For retakes the two grades are averaged.
For example:
If you take a 4 credit class and get at C, and retake it and get an A, it becomes 4 units of B."

I would like to make sure the above statement is correct and it would not count as 8 units of B. Furthermore, I was also wondering in AMCAS GPA calculator; how would you put a class as repeat. Thanks a lot for all the future responses.

This is incorrect. AMCAS counts them as completely separate classes. There is no averaging or grade forgiveness. AACOMAS (DO application) allows for full grade replacement.

AMCAS has a whole document that explains how to enter your classes. It is very clear in these guidelines how to enter repeated courses.

Good luck!

You might have misunderstood what average means. AMCAS accounts all grades made. That would include the original C and the retaken A. So, it would average out to a 3.0. It does not dismiss the C and the A and replace it with a B.

AACOMAS would, however, replace the C with just the A, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can somebody tell me how to view the calculated amcas gpa? My application has been submitted and verified but I'm not sure where to go to double check my gpa. Thanks!