Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GPA calculation question

Discussion in 'Nontraditional Students' started by Phineas Gage, Dec 7, 2008.

1. Phineas Gage

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Hi all,

I'm a 27 year old non-trad psychology student who's essentially completed the psych program and now taking only pre-med classes.

My question is whether prep science classes and which, if any, behavioral science classes count as science classes by MD schools. ..Or do prep classes even count at all towards GPA?

For example: When I didn't place into General Physics I or General Chemistry I, the starting point was Physics 100 ("prep physics") and "Chemistry 100 "prep chemistry"). It is important that I ask because as a naive student I received a grade of C in both courses and later received a B or better in both of the General Chems and Physics.

Additionally, the only "maths" I have taken are Pre-calculus and a Statistics course for mainly behavioral science majors and nursing students. How would the psychology statistics be calculated? And finally, I took several courses such as "Behavioral Neuroscience" and "Cognitive Neuroscience" that were under the psychology program and I'm unsure if these qualify as sciences (received A's in both).

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. solar3000

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hey I recently got my ba in psych. For the longest time I wanted to apply to clinical psychology grad school but got SICK of the whole politics in the psych dept. Now I am also starting pre-med classes next semester.

I don't know much about the subject just yet, but I don't think any of your classes count towards pre-med. What I did is I went to talk with a pre-med advisor. she gave me a list of the classes everyone needs to take. She was really helpful.

4. DrMidlife

DrMidlife has an opinion
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  5. Phineas Gage

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks. So it looks like the statistics through psychology and the neuroscience classes under psychology will be under 'all other'. I'm still confused on if prep (remedial) Chemistry 100/Physics 100 courses count since they're below the general level.