Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

GPA Calculation

Discussion in 'Pre-Optometry' started by Habitual Rx, Apr 8, 2007.

1. Habitual Rx

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    What is the standard GPA calculation on the 4.0 scale for American schools when using a percent grade?

If anyone can let know - thank you.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. PepsiSucks

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    A+: 98-100
    A:94-97
    A-:90-93
    B+:87-90
    B:83-86
    B-:82-80
    C+:77-79
    C:74-76
    C-:70-73
    D+:67-69
    D:64-66
    D-:60-63
    F: <59

And don't bother saying canadian schools curve harder because it is harder in general. I went to UC Berkeley, no Canadian school is harder than berkeley.

4. gochi

10+ Year Member

hey,

So you're telling me that if I have a 4.00 gpa,an A which is any percent greater than 90%, In the states that will transalate to an A-. So im wondering, when the admissions comitee look at a grades of an Canadian Applicant, then will they "convert" the scores, into their system ?

Thanks

5. ODduck

ODduck Future Oregon OD
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    At my school:

A+ = 4.3 (but pretty much every OD school just counts it as 4.0)
    A = 4.0
    A- = 3.7
    B+ = 3.3
    B = 3.0
    B- = 2.7
    C+ = 2.3
    C = 2.0
    C- = 1.7
    D+ = 1.3
    D = 1.0
    D- = 0.7
    F = 0.0

As far as the percentages go, it actually varies from class to class. Some teachers give out pluses and minuses like candy on Halloween and some hardly give any. For example, in my statistics class the teacher gave out minuses only if you were at the lowest percent for a certain letter and pluses only if you were at the highest percent for a certain letter. He also rounded up any decimal of a percent. For example, if you got an 80.0%, that's a B-, however if you got an 80.1%, he rounded up to 81% and you got a B. Conversely, if you got an 88.0%, you get a B, but if you get an 88.1%, he rounded up to 89% and you get a B+. Everyting in between was a B.

This was just an example of one class, teachers are pretty much allowed to hand out whatever grade they want on any scale they want. For example, if the class average is something like a 65%, then it is likely that a score in the mid to high 80's will give you an A- or A, unless the teacher is a hard ass about grades.

6. Eye-Spy

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Check with the individual schools that you are applying to before you start converting your grades. It seems like different schools have different ways of doing it. I had this problem when I was applying to ICO, so i emailed someone at the school and asked how to do it, and I got the following response:

When filling in the Pre-Optometry Coursework Sheet, you may use the following conversions for Waterloo:

0.25 credits = 1.5 semester hours
    0.5 credits = 3 semester hours
    1 credit = 6 semester hours

80-100 = A
    70-79 = B
    60-69 = C
    50-59 = D
    0-49 = F

They had me convert all my individual pre-requisite grades in this way, then there was a way to average them all together to get a final prerequisite GPA. The letters converted to A-4.0, B-3.0, C-2.0, D-1.0, F-0.

7. Oilersfan69

2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    what about if you have A- or like B+? does the A- get rounded to an A and u get a 4.0 for that mark? Likewise, does the B+ get rounded down to a B and u get a 3.0 for that mark?

I know PCO does this. Does Waterloo?

8. Eye-Spy

5+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    At ICO, they just round everything to the even letter grade. Like you said, a B+ would become a B and and an A- would get rounded to an A, then those even letter grades go into calculating your GPA on a four point scale.

At Waterloo, they give out percentage grades and will look at your average in percentages. My little conversion chart was in reference to how to convert undergrad percentage grades from waterloo into letter grades for ICO. Sorry for any confusion this caused!!

9. Habitual Rx

2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    so everyone applying to Waterloo had a 4.0 according to this?

10. JMU07

5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I wish my ochem class was like that, the test averages are always in the 60's but there's no curve and you have to get a 92 to get an A :eek:

11. Colonel Mitchel

Colonel Mitchel The Doctor
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    I have heard that some schools calculate one's GPA with +'s being worth a little more than a plain letter or a minus. For example, a B+ would be worth more than a B or B- (either of which would count as a 3.0), but not as much as an A- (which would count as a 4.0). I know my university counts all A's as 4.0's and B's as 3.0's and so on. Do you know how the admission's personnel at optometry colleges calculate GPAs?
    I would love it if "+" grades counted more.

12. ODduck

ODduck Future Oregon OD
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    I can only speak for SCCO and Pacific because they are the only schools I applied to. They both counted +'s and -'s. Any "-" grade was counted as 0.3 less than the score for the grade alone (i.e. 3.7 for an A-) and any "+" grade was counted as 0.3 more (i.e. 3.3 for a B+). The exception was A+'s, they still only counted for 4.0.

13. EyeBaller

EyeBaller SUNY-O Class of 2008
    2+ Year Member

Optometrist
    Please, get over yourself.

Thanks.

14. Colonel Mitchel

Colonel Mitchel The Doctor
    5+ Year Member

Optometrist
    So... Does anyone know?

15. hfpepperbean47

hfpepperbean47 You wish you were me
    2+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    Yeah...i heard that the canadian grade conversion rate is similar to the currency exchange rate. Assuming 1 point american = 1.12 points canadian

A in american is 4.0...in canadian it is 4.48
    B in american is 3.0...in canadian it is 3.36
    C in american is 2.0...in canadian it is 2.24

The US schools take this into account when contemplating admitting some of our slower canadian neighbors. This means US applicants are much more superior to any canadian counterparts.

Yes...its sarcasm.

16. mtrlOATgal

7+ Year Member

Optometry Student
    i thought for grades it was the other way, to compensate for our monetary losses:)

and PepsiSucks, everyone knows that McGill is North America's Harvard

kjoke joke:)

17. LoveOptometry

LoveOptometry Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Optometry
    hey, I was wondering if you enter optometry school with a BA does your GPA even get converted, I mean since you already have your degree?? Thanks