GPA calculation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gerbie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So if I am in a masters program, would adcoms look at my undergraduate cGPA/sGPA and graduate cGPA/sGPA separately or together? Is one weighed more than the other?

I see that on ACCOMAS, I get an option to see both.

Members don't see this ad.

I thought I read in the big application thread that they typically look at them separately, and that your grad GPA should be pretty high.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I thought I read in the big application thread that they typically look at them separately, and that your grad GPA should be pretty high.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't know why you would say that your grad GPA "should" be pretty high...
Unless you say that because you assume graduate studies in a science/pre-med field

If your graduate work is in a non-related field then....
At least in other academic circles, I would say that a lower graduate GPA than undergraduate is somewhat expected, since graduate coursework is much more challenging.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter how they "look" at them, since they can see it ALL in the AACOMAS file that is released to the schools: science GPA, non-science GPA, cumulative GPA, undergraduate GPA, graduate GPA, post-baccalaurate GPA, and even by undergraduate year (sci/non-sci)...
It's all there! Nothing to hide! They will see it all!

Good luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
thats kind of the general feel...depending on if you were just doing post bacc work or an actual masters, and if you repeated courses or not.

** but Id have to say, a worse grad GPA is not expected, unfortunately. In fact, if your grad work is worse than your undergrad, well...I haven't seen too many success stories there. Not to be a downer, I just haven't seen them.

But, since you give a general question (which isn't a bad thing), the general answer is that your undergrad GPA still has a pretty high weight.

So, the scenarios, bad undergrad, bad grad...obviously hopeless

bad undergrad, so-so grad...not a good outlook

bad undergrad, decent grad...a chance

bad undergrad, great grad...a decent chance

Thats how Ive come to understand it. I assume you have a less than average undergrad, or you wouldn't be asking...but if thats not the case, then update us with specifics and you can get a better answer:thumbup:

I don't know why you would say that your grad GPA "should" be pretty high...
Unless you say that because you assume graduate studies in a science/pre-med field

If your graduate work is in a non-related field then....
At least in other academic circles, I would say that a lower graduate GPA than undergraduate is somewhat expected, since graduate coursework is much more challenging.

In my opinion, it doesn't really matter how they "look" at them, since they can see it ALL in the AACOMAS file that is released to the schools: science GPA, non-science GPA, cumulative GPA, undergraduate GPA, graduate GPA, post-baccalaurate GPA, and even by undergraduate year (sci/non-sci)...
It's all there! Nothing to hide! They will see it all!

Good luck to you!

Reading through many of these WAMC threads, it seems the general consensus is that a lower grad GPA is frowned upon. I've never done a grad program/SMP so I don't know. I'd guess that pertains more to SMP or a formal PB designed to bump your numbers.

Reading through many of these WAMC threads, it seems the general consensus is that a lower grad GPA is frowned upon. I've never done a grad program/SMP so I don't know. I'd guess that pertains more to SMP or a formal PB designed to bump your numbers.

Yes, I suppose it could be frowned upon if your graduate coursework is supposed to be for completing pre-requisites...
However, if it is graduate studies in an unrelated discipline (not for pre-reqs, just a regular old graduate degree in X), I don't see why it MUST NECESSARILY be higher than your undergraduate GPA.
I don't know your particular situation, OP, if your graduate degree was for pre-req purposes or it is unrelated, but in the end, I wouldn't lose tooooo much sleep over that. If you are done with your courses and in the process of applying, then nothing can be done. AACOMAS calculates all GPAs (UG, grad, PB, etc...) and ALL are visible to adcoms. Try to make yourself an attractive and unique candidate without the number mania.
Good luck!

I think I get the gist of it...basically do well and hope for the best:)

Thanks for the help!