gpa calculations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lucy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate GPA was 2.9 from 10 years ago. If all the prereqs are retaken (done with a 3.7 average) and a new BS is obtained with a MS, will that new GPA knock out the old GPA. MCAT score was 32. How are the GPA's calculated by the Med schools?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused. You got some type of bachelor's degree 10 years ago and had a 2.9. Then you got another bachelor's degree (B.S.) and a M.S. with a 3.7?

Sory for the confusion. I received a BS in Biology with a 2.9 10 years ago and recently took the prereqs with an average of 3.7. How are the GPA's calculated? Will the old classes be averaged with the new prereq classes? And if they are what is more advisable to do? 1. Get a Masters or 2. Repeat a new BS degree? Will repeating the BS degree, wipe out the old GPA?

Members don't see this ad :)
Lucy,

The grade point average section of the AMCAS application divides the gpa into 7 sections:

Freshman
Sophomore
Junior
Senior
Post-Bac
Undergraduate (combined from categories above)
Graduate

Your 2.9 will be distributed through your freshman, sophomore, junior, and senior years. Your 3.7 will go into the post-bac section. I don't know how many units you took for your BS in Biology or your post-bac courses, but I'm sure your undergraduate gpa will be above 3.0. Since you demonstrated your ability to perform in the prereqs now, I suggest you go to graduate school. I have 2 options for you. If your science gpa is pretty high, I suggest you do an M.P.H. If your science gpa needs some improving, get an M.S. For the M.S., I suggest going to a program where you can take classes with med students (ie. Georgetown SMP, Finch, Drexel, etc...).

BTW, I didn't see that you got a 32 MCAT score. I think you should go for a quick 1 year master's so you can apply this June. If you want to do the M.P.H., Dartmouth has a new program that seems to be pretty good. If you want to do an M.S., look into Georgetown SMP, I will be going there this August. Both are 1 year, and I know the deadline to apply for G-town is June (can't find the deadline for the Dartmouth program). It would help if you knew what your total GPA is now (including the post-bac).