yuba

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Optometry
Hi
I was wondering if grades are reported without (+)/(-), or as the school transcript reports...such as a A- corresponding to a 3.6 or 3.7 instead of a 4.0?
Thanks

chicksdigdocs

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)
i'm gonna add on to your question and ask if they consider community college credits you recieved while doing a duel-enrollment in high school

Daydreamer2008

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 19, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Yes, + and - always counts. and yes, if u took community college courses it counts, just make sure u send ur comm college transcript into AMCAS

About the Ads

Wanna_B_Scutty

MS1
10+ Year Member
Mar 30, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Yes, + and - always counts. and yes, if u took community college courses it counts, just make sure u send ur comm college transcript into AMCAS

Daydreamer is correct on both acounts.

And as for your comm college transcript, s/he is quite right about making sure you send it in to AMCAS. This year, there were several students who didn't know they should send the stuff in since it was work done in high school... and their applications were delayed by a month. :eek:

chicksdigdocs

10+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2007
Status (Visible)

great, so if I don't want to send them I don't have to? Because I got a lot of B's in those classes.

Stray

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Ok, so to kind of piggyback on this thread...

I transferred schools. When I transferred, they dropped my old GPA and recalculated it after my first quarter. The courses I took at my old school show up on my new transcript, but they show up as transferred courses. When I send in my transcripts from both schools, how will they calculate my regular and science GPA? I have the same GPA right now, but I still have a couple of years left, so I'm sure it will change. Obviously if I don't do well in a course it would have more of an effect on my GPA now than if all of the courses I've taken so far were included in my GPA calculation. Before reading this thread I just assumed they would take the GPA that my current college lists on my transcript.

Just curious..

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
AMCAS uses all original grades earned from all colleges and universities that you have attended. They do not ignore any grades nor honor "grade forgiveness" or "grade replacement" that some universities do. Just list every course you have taken, and they will use it all in the GPA calculation.

Here is a handy spreadsheet to make the calculation easier...

C

Critical Mass

Also keep in mind that if you retake a class, the original grade will also be displayed on the AMCAS transcript if it was on your school's transcript. I want to say that even if your school only used the retaken grade as part of your GPA, AMCAS will use both grades. Check me on that though.

Stray

10+ Year Member
Feb 15, 2007
Seattle, WA
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Sweet! I was kind of upset to lose all of my old grades because I worked really hard for them. Thanks for the info.

CAS97209

10+ Year Member
Feb 9, 2007
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Daydreamer is correct on both acounts.

And as for your comm college transcript, s/he is quite right about making sure you send it in to AMCAS. This year, there were several students who didn't know they should send the stuff in since it was work done in high school... and their applications were delayed by a month. :eek:
What about college work done in high school that was only pass/fail? Since pass/fail courses don't get calculated into your GPA, would you still have to get a transcript for that course?

tgp511

10+ Year Member
Nov 1, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
Not quite true.

A+'s are calculated as A's for amcas.

Friend of mine technically has a 4.0 according to his schools grade system
(A+ (97-100) = 4.3 points), but amcas says he has ~3.98 (he made an A- his sophomore year).

Pluses are considered for all other letters.

LifetimeDoc

EM Attending
10+ Year Member
Apr 30, 2006
USA
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
What about college work done in high school that was only pass/fail? Since pass/fail courses don't get calculated into your GPA, would you still have to get a transcript for that course?

Yes; don't leave any college-level grades out...no matter when or where you got them.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.