GPA Calculator

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smarty666

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My undergraduate institution has my cGPA at 3.45 and my sGPA at 3.39. Is there a way to make sure these r correct and not lower than my institution is reporting?

Members don't see this ad.

Excel. Or Google Docs. It's not difficult, just time consuming. Just do it.

Your college doesn't get to be the authority anyway - if you feel doubt about their calcs, you'll feel doubt about AMCAS' calcs. Own the math!

Excel. Or Google Docs. It's not difficult, just time consuming. Just do it.

Your college doesn't get to be the authority anyway - if you feel doubt about their calcs, you'll feel doubt about AMCAS' calcs. Own the math!

Thank you for the help! I'm just curious, if you took classes over the summer, how do you know what grade level to put that under (ie. junior, senior, etc) and if you took summer classes would that be on a quarter or semester system? I'm not quite sure what to put. I'm assuming classes taken in the fall and spring semesters would be semester system obviously.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the help! I'm just curious, if you took classes over the summer, how do you know what grade level to put that under (ie. junior, senior, etc) and if you took summer classes would that be on a quarter or semester system? I'm not quite sure what to put. I'm assuming classes taken in the fall and spring semesters would be semester system obviously.
Summer classes should be defined as quarter or semester by the school that offers the classes - in a pinch, figure out how many lecture hours you did in the summer compared with a fall/spring semester class that's the same number of units/credits. What I've seen is that summer term length is usually consistent with fall/spring term length within an institution. So school X isn't going to throw quarters at you for summer when it throws semesters at you the rest of the year.

Regardless, listing coursework and doing calcs is very straightforward. Categorization into BCPM and non is well defined, as is conversion from quarters to semesters.

Summer gets grouped in with the following academic year.

AMCAS instructions
: highly recommended reading. If you're also applying AACOMAS and/or TMDSAS, there are significant differences, fyi.

Summer classes should be defined as quarter or semester by the school that offers the classes - in a pinch, figure out how many lecture hours you did in the summer compared with a fall/spring semester class that's the same number of units/credits. What I've seen is that summer term length is usually consistent with fall/spring term length within an institution. So school X isn't going to throw quarters at you for summer when it throws semesters at you the rest of the year.

Regardless, listing coursework and doing calcs is very straightforward. Categorization into BCPM and non is well defined, as is conversion from quarters to semesters.

Summer gets grouped in with the following academic year.

AMCAS instructions
: highly recommended reading. If you're also applying AACOMAS and/or TMDSAS, there are significant differences, fyi.

Wow, right now the AMCAS excel sheet is saying my cGPA is 3.39 and sGPA is 3.24. that is a bit of a difference from the 3.45 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA my institution reported! Glad I checked this out. I don't know what I am going to do to improve my GPA. I'm not sure if SMP, Post-Bac or just taking more classes at my undergrad institute as non-matriculating would do the trick?

Wow, right now the AMCAS excel sheet is saying my cGPA is 3.39 and sGPA is 3.24. that is a bit of a difference from the 3.45 cGPA and 3.3 sGPA my institution reported! Glad I checked this out. I don't know what I am going to do to improve my GPA. I'm not sure if SMP, Post-Bac or just taking more classes at my undergrad institute as non-matriculating would do the trick?
Yessssss, f e e l the ownership.

Double check your math after resting your eyes for a day or two. Most likely, though, your school forgave a retake or something that AMCAS won't do.

Come over to postbac for GPA comeback ideas. There's a GPA enhancement sticky and a huge low GPA discussion thread.

Blank amcas calculator attached as an excel doc.

If you have no A+'s, they should be the same though.

Attachments

• blank amcas calc.xls
    77 KB · Views: 174
How does AMCAS treat non-academic courses taken through community colleges or extension schools?

Examples:

- Career-related courses
- Hobby type courses

How does AMCAS treat non-academic courses taken through community colleges or extension schools?

Examples:

- Career-related courses
- Hobby type courses
Not sure how a course taken at a school is non-academic. Regardless, every grade you've ever received on any college transcript is to be reported and included in GPA calcs.

Highly recommended reading: AMCAS instructions

Not sure how a course taken at a school is non-academic. Regardless, every grade you've ever received on any college transcript is to be reported and included in GPA calcs.

Highly recommended reading: AMCAS instructions

Okay, thanks. I took three courses related to my previous career, all letter-graded. I also took a wine-tasting course years ago at an extension school, which was letter graded as well.

IMHO by the time you figure out how to get what you need out of somebody else's spreadsheet, you could have created your own. Give a fish vs. teach how to fish kind of thing. Plus macro viruses are still around...

Yeah I know it's a lot of effort, and you are just as likely to make calc mistakes as somebody else, and yeah I know I'm a nerd.

This state doesn't use pluses or minuses with regards to college grades. Anything from 90 through 100 is reported the same: "A."

The college and amcas gpa's should be identical then.

not necessarily. some schools handle retaken courses differently, i.e. some average them, some only count the second attempt. some schools consider a B+ 3.3 and consider 3.5 a B+.

I never retook a course and my school considered a B+ a 3.5 yet the calculations from AMCAS was lower for both then my school. Go figure! It doesn't really matter though, even if the higher numbers from my school were correct, they are still on the lower end and less competitive for med school. The question then becomes what is the best way to improve it and get into med school, more undergrad classes, post-bac, or SMP??

I have time to decide since I will be having most likely be having more surgery this spring!