GPA conversion from % to 4.0 scale

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi there,

I'm a first year student at the University of Waterloo in Honours Kinesiology. Waterloo issues GPA averages in percent format - 0 to 100. For applying to Canadian medical schools, it appears a 0-4 scale is used exclusively (especially in Ontario) What is the proper conversion scale? I really have not been able to get this answered and I hope I'm at the right place this time!

thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

thank you so much! how silly of me to not notice that after browsing through all that omsas material....

i've seen gpa's such as 3.88 or 3.95... how would those convert?

Members don't see this ad :)
The trick is to convert each course mark to the OMSAS gpa and average those together to get your GPA per year. Its a very annoying and tedious process, but thats how you get crazy numbers like 3.88 etc. :)

but if i do that, then a course in which i had.. say 97% is still only a 4.0 gpa

and a course that I had 79% in is a 3.3 gpa. so the average between these as a percent would be 88% ( 3.9 GPA) but when the average of individual gpa's is taken, then I would only have 3.65 gpa

is that correct? is this how medical schools calculate your application average?

Yes, sad but true. That's why it's better to have a bunch of decent grades than some really high ones and some really low ones.

nimba said:
but if i do that, then a course in which i had.. say 97% is still only a 4.0 gpa

and a course that I had 79% in is a 3.3 gpa. so the average between the these as a percent would be 88% ( 3.9 GPA) but when the average of individual gpa's is taken, then I would only have 3.65 gpa

is that correct? is this how medical schools calculate your application average?

thanks very much for all your help I understand how it works now.

I converted my marks over and my first semester average will more than likely be a 3.83 or a 3.9

am i missing something.. because it seems a little too easy to achieve a 3.7 by that scale, as an 80% at waterloo apparantly translates into a 3.7 gpa.

well, if everything is correct, are such marks (3.8 cumulative gpa and up) competetive for an application to medical school in ontario ?

thanks

3.8 is below the average acceptance at the University of Alberta. I'd think that Ontario school requirements would be higher due to the increased population.

nimba said:
thanks very much for all your help I understand how it works now.

I converted my marks over and my first semester average will more than likely be a 3.83 or a 3.9

am i missing something.. because it seems a little too easy to achieve a 3.7 by that scale, as an 80% at waterloo apparantly translates into a 3.7 gpa.

well, if everything is correct, are such marks (3.8 cumulative gpa and up) competetive for an application to medical school in ontario ?

thanks

yes man 3.8 is more than enough

in my opinion (i've done some research).. a 3.65 is good ..

but gpa is merely a cut off.. to eliminate a bunch of ppl

to be a solid applicant you need extra colliculars too

:scared: omg.... im planing to Apply next year to UofT my High School GPA as if the Junior Year ( this year '05-'06) is 3.5 And im really worried about getting accepted. Its my dream to get in and i duno i feel like i will fail in life if i do not get in.
So if anyone know's anything plz Reply!! :confused:

if anyone has more info add me on msn @: [email protected]
or IM : juic3ybiatch
PLZ HELP ME!!!!!!!

Question: when people post their GPAs is it usually in this 4.0 scale or in the 4.33 scale??? I'm still very confused about the GPA system since my university only uses percentages...

mspaic said:
to be a solid applicant you need extra colliculars too

And be able to spell ....sorry, couldn't resist

Hi, I have a couple of questions regarding GPA. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out.

The GPA cutoff scales that different schools use are somewhat different. Some say 3.6 out of 4.0, some say 3.7 out of 4.3 etc, and OMSAS has their own scale. When applying, which GPA scale is used? Does your OMSAS GPA get sent out to all the schools you apply for, or do only certain schools follow OMSAS while others recalculate your mark based on their own scale?

Also, I took 5.5 full course equivalents at one university during first year and transferred to UofT for second year. However, half a credit did not transfer over. When I am applying for medical school, will that half credit be counted towards my cGPA?

Thanks again, and sorry if my questions blatantly reveal my naiveness. :laugh:
UofT_girl said:
:scared: omg.... im planing to Apply next year to UofT my High School GPA as if the Junior Year ( this year '05-'06) is 3.5 And im really worried about getting accepted. Its my dream to get in and i duno i feel like i will fail in life if i do not get in.
So if anyone know's anything plz Reply!! :confused:

Although a good GPA will obvious be advantageous, I've *heard* of people with 3.4's getting into medical school. I believe that you'll really have to work hard to improve the aspects of your application, and make an effort to boost up your GPA next year. (transfer out of UofT to Ryerson lol)

Good luck!

wow i know it has been a while since someone posted something here, but I looked at that link one of you posted and I still don't quite understand. I'm from UBC and my average is 72%. In the legend at the bottom of the page next to UBC it says 7 but I dont know how to read it! can someone please help? thanks!

Hi pch,

The 7 at the bottom of the document is referring to which column you look at, which for 7 is under the "Alpha" heading over on the right third of the screen.

UBC gives out Alphanumeric grades which can then be converted to the 4.0 GPA scale. A 72% I would approximate as a B grade, which is 3.00