GPA Enhancment Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

exigente chica

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The AAMC list is a good starting point, but then when you try itemized searches it puts a bunch of the "career-changers" programs with the "academic-enrichment" programs ( :mad: ). You might want to take a look at the postbaccalaureate list that Syracuse puts out too (I think it's on the postbac FAQ in this Forum)

There's a lot of graduate level programs that are meant to make up for less-than-wonderful academic records of those who have already completed the science prerequisites. However, these programs will not raise your undergraduate cumulative or science gpa. Some of the more well known of these programs are Georgetown's SMP, Boston U MA Medical Sciences, Drexel IMS, and VCU premedical certificate (but there's dozens more).

There's a lot of ways that you can enhance your undergraduate science gpa.

You could enter a formal undergraduate postbaccalaureate program. I believe American U and Duquesne U are some examples (they have programs for career changing and enrichment). There's also some special reapplicant programs (at least out in California).

HES isn't really a formal program with a set structure, but with the help you get it's like one. There are other schools that will help you out in a similar fashion. One example is the Graduate-Student-At-Large program at the University of Chicago. Like Harvard, the U of Chicago has a reputation for being rigorous. I believe Northwestern has a similar program too. Essentially, you're a non-degree student. But these aren't the only schools for undergraduate gpa enrichment...

Actually, many colleges allow non-degree students. If your state school(s) allow non-degree seeking students, that would probably be the most inexpensive way to do a science gpa enrichment postbac. But be sure to ask if they have credit limits on non-degree students (and when you get to register). For example, sometimes they won't let you exceed 8 credit hours/semester or something along those lines. And when you're trying to make a big change in your gpa you really need to take more than 8 a semester, generally speaking. For example, you might want to take as many as 36 credits of science in a year. It will all depend on how much you're trying to raise your gpa. You've really gotta crunch the numbers to figure out how much you'll be helping your gpa (use a computer program like Excel to make this easier). Once you take enough credits, the GPA improvement will move more slowly.

Also, my understanding is that as long as you're not enrolled in a formal program, you can even take graduate courses that will count toward your undergrad science gpa (But if you do a formal program, the grades will get compartmentalized on the graduate section of AMCAS and it won't raise your undergrad science gpa). Sometimes you need special permission to take this graduate courses though. The good thing about taking graduate courses is that you'll have more selection and this may help to prove you can handle medical coursework. The bad news is that 3 graduate credits is generally much more demanding and time consuming than 3 undergraduate credits, but this difference may not be so obvious unless the schools are actually looking closely at your transcripts.

Another option is to get an additional degree. For example, if you're a bio major, you can try enrolling as a degree-seeking student for something like a BS in Biochemistry, BS in Microbiology and Immunology, or a BS in Chemistry. Majors like these tend to share a lot of the same courses, so you might be able to finish an additional degree in one year (you'll have to ask about course sequence and prerequisites to see if this is possible). This might also let you get past the restrictions that some schools have for non-degree seeking postbac students.

Sorry if that was long-winded (and/or confusing)
:oops:

Phil Anthropist,
Thank you for all of your advice, I will look into some of the programs and my state school.

Exigente :love: