gpa for humanities majors?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Anand17

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, new to SDN. I am an economics major (humanities). I just checked the AMCAS averages for humanities majors, and there science gpa average for matriculants is 3.53, and there overall is 3.62...why are the averages significantly lower than "normal" science majors? I guess this benefits me, but I still dont get why? Any help would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Because most humanities majors are pretty stupid.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, new to SDN. I am an economics major (humanities). I just checked the AMCAS averages for humanities majors, and there science gpa average for matriculants is 3.53, and there overall is 3.62...why are the averages significantly lower than "normal" science majors? I guess this benefits me, but I still dont get why? Any help would be great.

Those that go into the humanities only did so because they couldn't hack it in the real majors

Humanities majors = you need to be able to write. That's more challenging and requires more skill than sitting down and memorizing random facts for a Biology test (something a monkey can do). It's much easier to do well on a Bio test, and medical schools understand that.

Well, Im a double major in biology and economics. So i still take the same gpa hits. Your right it is a social science major, but i just checked aamc, and social science is even lower than humanities. I guess i should restate my question. Do medical schools feel as though if your a "different" major, theres more leeway in terms of grades? How would they view my situation, being a double major? I know double majors dont matter, but what "category" of a student would they see me as?

btw, Im a gator, good lookin out gatorbball.

Humanities majors = you need to be able to write. That's more challenging and requires more skill than sitting down and memorizing random facts for a Biology test. It's much easier to do well on a Bio test, and medical schools understand that.
Is this a joke?

Last edited:

Last edited:
Is this a joke?

Try taking high level language classes and getting As in them. I promise you it'll be helluva lot harder than in classes like Anatomy, Microbiology, Genetics etc..

I guess different strokes for different folks... but in general, the people here are more science-oriented... so I'd assume they would naturally do better as science majors.

Haha Thanks for the responses. Right now im at a 3.55 science gpa and a 3.64 overall after 2 years..1 more to go. Its like my gpa is right in between the averages of the two majors, so its an awkward situation. Since im new to this numbers game, any take on this particular situation would be awesome. BTW, i just explained why the gas tax is rediculous to my mom.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Try taking high level language classes and getting As in them. I promise you it'll be helluva lot harder than in classes like Anatomy, Microbiology, Genetics etc..

I guess different strokes for different folks... but in general, the people here are more science-oriented... so I'd assume they would naturally do better as science majors.

You're right, that high level language class would be hard. I'd be bored out of my mind... I think how "hard" a class is is relative to how enjoyable it is to the individual, but I guess I'm in the process of high jacking this thread..

ceteris paribus, a new quote to live by..for the nxt year.

Humanities majors = you need to be able to write. That's more challenging and requires more skill than sitting down and memorizing random facts for a Biology test (something a monkey can do). It's much easier to do well on a Bio test, and medical schools understand that.

I think we've had this convo before, but i don't think you understand what biology is about :smuggrin: Maybe it's just where I go to school, but there is serious critical thinking involved in our biology courses. The kids who can only memorize bawl their eyes out come exam time, and by sophomore year they've realized they need to "take things at their own pace" and maybe do a post bac after graduation sot that while they're here they can pursue "what they really love"

Most cynical view of the situation, there are definitely well-adjusted premeds who knew they were gonna be lit the moment they stepped on campus and can handle orgo too :)

In all honesty, GPA depends more on what your professors are like than what you major in.

I still cry inside when humanities majors refuse to learn even basic calculus.

That's akin to an engineer never learning how to read!

Try taking high level language classes and getting As in them.

yup do that too. seriously though, why the hate for bio? you're gonna do so much of it in med school, you better like it now!

In all honesty, GPA depends more on what your professors are like than what you major in.

I still cry inside when humanities majors refuse to learn even basic calculus.

That's akin to an engineer never learning how to read!

Eh, I'd say that depends on your school/class size. I've never talked to most of my professors.

Eh, I'd say that depends on your school/class size. I've never talked to most of my professors.

I meant the way in which an individual professor grades.

You don't need to talk to a professor to get a 4.0 or a 0.7.

Sorry, I misread your previous post. I agree.

Let's argue anyway, you insufferable bastard.

What do you think this is, Something Awful?

Nope. This is SDN!

Alright, I'll start the bickering. Do you believe in God?

Not really. Although God might exist.

I have no idea. I'm betting that any human concepts of god are pretty poor though.

Sometimes I like to think that I'm God and you're all fictitious characters in my
infinite imagination.

btw, Im a gator, good lookin out gatorbball.

Haha. Yeah, I actually found Denslow's economics course to be fairly interesting. Micro was alright too... I haven't really taken any other eco classes though

yup do that too. seriously though, why the hate for bio? you're gonna do so much of it in med school, you better like it now!

lol I'm a Bio major. I've got no hate for it... it's one of those subjects where I know I'll do well if I devote ample time to it. So in my mind, I can predict how I am going to do on a test. If I had to write a bunch of essays for a class, I'd be a lot more nervous. There's a lot more uncertainty involved. This is a feeling that many science majors have in the back of their heads but just don't admit. It's much easier to say, "Humanities majors = jokes" than it is to say, "I feel more comfortable learning science because of the certainty involved and would rather not risk a humanities major and possibly jeopardize my GPA."

Also, premeds tend to major in what they're good at rather than what they might be interested in.

lol I'm a Bio major. I've got no hate for it... it's one of those subjects where I know I'll do well if I devote ample time to it. So in my mind, I can predict how I am going to do on a test. If I had to write a bunch of essays for a class, I'd be a lot more nervous. There's a lot more uncertainty involved. This is a feeling that many science majors have in the back of their heads but just don't admit. It's much easier to say, "Humanities majors = jokes" than it is to say, "I feel more comfortable learning science because of the certainty involved and would rather not risk a humanities major and possibly jeopardize my GPA."

Also, premeds tend to major in what they're good at rather than what they might be interested in.

Spot on.

However that uncertainty in grading and expectations does lend itself to uncertainty in the quality of a student in comparison to grades. The nature of humanities classes - that uncertainty - can lead to a lot of relatively useless study and little to show in the realm of concrete and usable knowledge in four years of "education".

Critical thinking and analysis can be developed outside of a traditional liberal arts curriculum. Knowledge of the workings of the world can too, but that pursuit is much more difficult outside of academia. An English Literature major may very well be able to dissect and analyze the themes of The Metamorphosis in an efficient and illuminating manner. But so too can a clever major in Mechanical Engineering. An English Literature major may be hard pressed to explain the nature of physical and chemical processes no matter how innately intelligently they may be.

To me it seems that most of the liberal arts majors focus on education of what is innately human and what can be developed in any setting with any background. Critical thinking can be practiced and perfected without the aid of formal education or study. In depth knowledge of science requires development of critical analysis and imparted learning from other sources. I find history perfectly interesting, but I do not need formal instruction to understand most of its intricacies.

How often is it that you find an English professor with laughable skills in math? How often is it that you find a Mathematics professor with anything less than mastery of at least one language?

I'm rambling now. At any rate, there may very well be reasons to avoid formal study of the humanities in favor of science other than to sidestep the misandrous women's studies professors.

Reactions: 1 user
Spot on.

However that uncertainty in grading and expectations does lend itself to uncertainty in the quality of a student in comparison to grades. The nature of humanities classes - that uncertainty - can lead to a lot of relatively useless study and little to show in the realm of concrete and usable knowledge in four years of "education".

Critical thinking and analysis can be developed outside of a traditional liberal arts curriculum. Knowledge of the workings of the world can too, but that pursuit is much more difficult outside of academia. An English Literature major may very well be able to dissect and analyze the themes of The Metamorphosis in an efficient and illuminating manner. But so too can a clever major in Mechanical Engineering. An English Literature major may be hard pressed to explain the nature of physical and chemical processes no matter how innately intelligently they may be.

To me it seems that most of the liberal arts majors focus on education of what is innately human and what can be developed in any setting with any background. Critical thinking can be practiced and perfected without the aid of formal education or study. In depth knowledge of science requires development of critical analysis and imparted learning from other sources. I find history perfectly interesting, but I do not need formal instruction to understand most of its intricacies.

How often is it that you find an English professor with laughable skills in math? How often is it that you find a Mathematics professor with anything less than mastery of at least one language?

I'm rambling now. At any rate, there may very well be reasons to avoid formal study of the humanities in favor of science other than to sidestep the misandrous women's studies professors.

You bastard, why does everything you say have to make sense?

:smuggrin:

Huh? No! I usually make nonsensical insults or trollish goof-off posts.

That was probably the only post where I've ever tried to be somewhat coherent.

Huh? No! I usually make nonsensical insults or trollish goof-off posts.

That was probably the only post where I've ever tried to be somewhat coherent.

RLY?

That's some good trolling my friend. Anyway, I've always struggled with the more subjective classes like English, Philosophy, Etc... So I can agree that humanities majors may or may not have unique challenges of their own.

However, science majors are expected to be, in general, awesome at the hard sciences and be proficient in other areas as well. Congrats on that 14 Verbal section, but if you can't pull at least a 10 in PS and BS then what good are you?