GPA from a more prestigious university

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

want2bedentist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school
would take it into consideration ?

Thanks if you can share your experiences !

Members don't see this ad.

what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school
would take it into consideration ?

Thanks if you can share your experiences !

lol I'm sure they'll take it into consideration, but a 2.8 is a 2.8 and even if you got it at Oxford, you're screwed.

Members don't see this ad :)
agreed on the 2.8. but from experience I can tell you that an OK grade point from a great school will get you far.

lol I'm sure they'll take it into consideration, but a 2.8 is a 2.8 and even if you got it at Oxford, you're screwed.

you're not screwed. You may need more school to bring up or get a new graduate gpa, though.

3.2 from Caltech, failed a math class freshman year, multiple C grades. 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT. My interviewers didn't ask about my undergrad record, and I was accepted a week after my interview.

what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school would take it into consideration ?

The more telling question is: does MIT's grade distribution differ considerably?

3.2 from Caltech, failed a math class freshman year, multiple C grades. 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT. My interviewers didn't ask about my undergrad record, and I was accepted a week after my interview.

There is a significant difference between 2.8 and 3.2. The 23 certainly didn't hurt.

No ****ing way, I went to Caltech but transferred after frosh year. Thought I was the only person in the history of techers who wanted to be a dentist.

Just so you guys know MIT is on a 5.0 scale. So a 2.8 = you won't get in anywhere.

No ****ing way, I went to Caltech but transferred after frosh year. Thought I was the only person in the history of techers who wanted to be a dentist.

Just so you guys know MIT is on a 5.0 scale. So a 2.8 = you won't get in anywhere.

It depends on how the 2.8 was calculated. If the 2.8 was the GPA based on MIT's 5.0 scale, then a 2.8 would be the equivalent of a 1.8 on a 4.0 scale. But, if the 2.8 was alrady converted, the yes, you do still stand a chance although it is a small chance.

Further explanation: According to the MIT website, they go by the 5.0 scale. A=5 B=4 C=3 D=2 F=0 But if you are needig to convert to a 4.0 scale, just substitute the numbers with the standard scale - A=4 B=3 C=2 D=1 F=0. So, if the 2.8 was the GPA that was already converted using the 4.0 scale as would be on AADSAS, then the 2.8 would have a chance.