Aug 4, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school
would take it into consideration ?

Thanks if you can share your experiences !

Jul 26, 2009
Status
Dental Student
what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school
would take it into consideration ?

Thanks if you can share your experiences !
lol I'm sure they'll take it into consideration, but a 2.8 is a 2.8 and even if you got it at Oxford, you're screwed.

Britty894

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2007
Status
Dental Student
agreed on the 2.8. but from experience I can tell you that an OK grade point from a great school will get you far.

wodehouse

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 28, 2008
Status
Pre-Dental
3.2 from Caltech, failed a math class freshman year, multiple C grades. 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT. My interviewers didn't ask about my undergrad record, and I was accepted a week after my interview.

doc toothache

10+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2006
Status
Dentist
what if someone's GPA is low like 2.8 but it is from MIT, do the dental school would take it into consideration ?
The more telling question is: does MIT's grade distribution differ considerably?

3.2 from Caltech, failed a math class freshman year, multiple C grades. 23AA, 23TS, 21PAT. My interviewers didn't ask about my undergrad record, and I was accepted a week after my interview.
There is a significant difference between 2.8 and 3.2. The 23 certainly didn't hurt.

Jul 29, 2009
Status
Pre-Dental
No ****ing way, I went to Caltech but transferred after frosh year. Thought I was the only person in the history of techers who wanted to be a dentist.

Just so you guys know MIT is on a 5.0 scale. So a 2.8 = you won't get in anywhere.

N

NAVY DDS 2010

No ****ing way, I went to Caltech but transferred after frosh year. Thought I was the only person in the history of techers who wanted to be a dentist.

Just so you guys know MIT is on a 5.0 scale. So a 2.8 = you won't get in anywhere.

It depends on how the 2.8 was calculated. If the 2.8 was the GPA based on MIT's 5.0 scale, then a 2.8 would be the equivalent of a 1.8 on a 4.0 scale. But, if the 2.8 was alrady converted, the yes, you do still stand a chance although it is a small chance.

Further explanation: According to the MIT website, they go by the 5.0 scale. A=5 B=4 C=3 D=2 F=0 But if you are needig to convert to a 4.0 scale, just substitute the numbers with the standard scale - A=4 B=3 C=2 D=1 F=0. So, if the 2.8 was the GPA that was already converted using the 4.0 scale as would be on AADSAS, then the 2.8 would have a chance.