GPA-->Grad vs. Undergrad vs. Postbac

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

The Philosopher

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I'm a bit confused here.

So if you have already obtained a bachelors, you got 2 GPAs on the AMCAS: BCPM and Cum.

If you do a grad program, then you would have 4 GPAs. Undergrad BCMP, undergrad cum, grad BCPM, and grad cum.

But lets say after the grad program, you do a formal postbac. The classes in that program count towards undergrad, right?

And what if you took undergrad science courses during your grad years, but those undergrad sciences were "200" level, for example, instead of "400" level grad courses, and hence, were not counted towards the grad degree. Would these courses also be included in the undergrad GPA after already graduating?

Finally, how does the AMCAS know which grad programs are "grad programs," which degree-offering postacs (georgetown, Boston, etc.) are postbac (NOT grad), and which undergrad courses taken during grad school can be incorporated into your undergrad GPA?

Someone, please correct me if I've made a wrong statement on this post.

Also...which GPA out of these 8 gazillion GPA's would schools screen?

Members don't see this ad.

The understanding is that once you get your undergrad degree, your undergrad gpa is complete.

Post-bacc's don't count, nothing you take after get your undergrad degree counts in the Undergrad gpa in AMCAS.

This is because AMCAS thinks grad school grades are inflated. Indeed they are since you usually need a "B" to pass..this means your A's no longer are worth the same as your undergrad "A"'s. So amcas can't mix the two fairly.

and yes, they "screen" (verify) all of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Bikini,

That totally makes sense and a normal person would set up a system like you just described, but I have heard credible sources say that post-bac courses, "non-degree" undergrad courses, and undergrad-level courses in grad school all count towards the undergrad GPA.

So what's the correct scenario?

I mean, it kinda sucks because the whole point is to improve your undergrad GPA...and you gotta play it strategically...either taking more classes as an undergrad, or doin a postbac, or grad school...depending on what GPA plays where. Or maybe I'm just thinking a bit too much about this...

You got it about GPA's.

AMCAS makes you chose whether a course is "undergraduate" or "graduate" when you enter the info about a course. The graduate option appears after you enter a graduate school. This tags that course allowing AMCAS to calculate the GPA's differently under the GPA section.

Not sure on the 200 level classes in a grad program , but technically graduate courses are 500 level and above. Any credits earned in an undergradute level can't be used towards your degree as a grad student, but I would believe that AMCAS would have to count those classes as undergradute (logic being that their is no degree to be earned in a postbac program).

Graduate courses are separate on the AMCAS, I should know since thats how my new AMCAS is. But my premed advisor, also the head of our postbas program, told me that postbac classes will raise you undergrad GPA. Postbac classes are undergrad in level and no degree is earned in the process, so even though you would have a BS, you are still taking undergrad courses.

I'm 99% sure about the postbac thing...if anyone else knows more please let us know, especially those applying now after completing a postbac program.

Gold, Good deal, that's what I thought.

So if YOU are allowed to designate what courses are grad or undergrad, then there shouldn't be a prob...

BUT...there are even some postbac programs that do give degrees...like BU or Georgetown, or Indiana.

I think those also would go in the undergrad GPA...

Yep, I would have to believe that those post-bacs with degrees are also part the undergrad GPA. I guess it would be like getting two bachelors degrees.

there are 'post-bacc' programs that are actually masters degree programs, so in these cases, it wouldn't factor into your undergrad GPA, but would count as a graduate GPA.

Be sure you know the answer to this, because AMCAS will delay your application if they find discrepancies between your transcripts and what you claim as "undergrad".