Letters of Recommendation from Grad School vs Undergrad

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Analog_Emeritus

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi!

I'm applying this June, and want to ask the remainder of my letter writers ASAP.

I did undergrad followed by a 1 year masters. I'm having some issue deciding on how many of my professor letters should be from undergrad vs. grad school. My understanding is I'll generally need 2 science and 1 social science professor who gave me a grade.

I have my lab PI who taught me in undergrad as a definite yes for one science letter, and I've asked a science professor from my grad program who I took classes from (and is joint at a med school) for the second letter.

For social science I could either do:

A professor from undergrad who I took one course with. They wrote a letter of rec for my grad program, remembered me, and I did well, but I have no personal connection to them, and we only interacted in class.

My graduate faculty advisor who I've done research under and taken a course with, and met with one-on-one plenty.

A mentor for a program I was involved in which had an associated pass-fail course in undergrad which I took every term and helped teach, but I think this violates the "gave you a grade" assumption. (Either way, if there's space I'll use this letter as it's a most meaningful activity)

Part of me wants to ask my grad professor because he has the most up to date knowledge about my work and skills, but I wonder how having two letters from grad school and only 1 from undergrad might come across as if I'm kinda trying to hide my performance in undergrad.

Does anyone know if there are rough rules about this, or would be able to offer their own opinion on what they prefer to see in applicants?

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

Check the requirements at the schools you are looking at. This should be on their websites.

I think your grad advisor is my preference. Whoever writes the strongest letter for you.

Reactions: 1 user