1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

GPA help

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by sandhar, Dec 10, 2000.

1. sandhar

sandhar Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello, i attend a university in CANADA. My school give out percentages.
    for example
    eng 75
    math 78
    science 80
    psyc 82
    ant 64
    my average for one semester comes to 75.8%
    how the heck one converts this into a 4.0 scale GPA.
    In my school 75.8 will somewhere close to 3.28 Am i right. is this a right calculation. any suggestions please

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. khurana

khurana Junior Member

Sorry to be a bearer of bad news, but at my university 75% is considered average or an equivalent to a 2.0 - 2.5. For a curved class that would be around a 2.8. The average for a medical school applicant is a 3.56 and that is considered an A- or 89.5% to 94%. Please ask around about this question, I would also like to know the right answer.

4. MSafur

MSafur Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I attend N.Y.I.T. and those grades will come out to be a 2.7-2.8.

P.S.: If you can get your science gpa above 3.0 and your cum. gpa above 3.2-3.3, you should apply to D.O. schools.

5. alexcc_ms

alexcc_ms Member
    10+ Year Member

OUCH, good luch in Guadalajara [​IMG]
    No, seriously... you don't have to be above 3.0 (80%) to apply to DO schools. You just have to have really good interviewing skills (assuming you get an interview)

6. superwoman

superwoman Member
    10+ Year Member

I am not convinced that any of the above posts are correct. American grading systems are generally along the lines of a ten point scale. I.e. A=100-90%, B=90-80% etc. Foreign systems tend to differ from this. For example, in England, the accepted system is (in universities, at least) 70% or above is an A, 60-70% is a B, etc. It is still a ten point scale, but reduced. The thinking behind this is that it gives those students who really know over and above what they need to the recognition that they deserve. I think Canada might be along these lines too.

For example, I went to an English university for a year. I achieved averages of about 75-80% in my courses. On return to the US, the people who transfer the credit tried to tell me that this equated to a high C average, and wanted to give me C grades. I explained their mistake, and showed them proof of the grading scale, and I received the A grades I earned.

I would suggest that you accompany your Canadian grade report with an official grade scale from your school, showing what grades your percentages equate to. This should solve the problem (unless your school uses a US style 10 point system, in which case, you might be in trouble [​IMG]).

I get the impression that the US method of grading is an attempt to make their students look better by 'raising the bar'. It makes an A grade student in other countries look like a C grade student here, although they are equivalent. The American system is a product of a very structured higher education system, where students are taught, rather than students learning for themselves (e.g. like an extension of high schools instead of a true university). Basically, a student is considered very good if they memorize the required material in the US. Elsewhere in the world, students are considered good if they use their own resources and minds to adopt the material. Go figure...

Bottom line - your percentages might equate to grades that are not on a ten point scale. Get a Dean or Professor to officially write down a grade scale for your school, and stick it with your grades.