GPA Help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jbs013

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I took a non-science major chemistry course my first semester as a business major, and I have had difficulty getting any information about how the course grade will factor into my AMCAS GPA. I have since taken the course as a science major, and it is my hope that the grade for the non-science major course will not be calculated as part of my science GPA (which would turn a 4.0 into a 3.8). Thanks in advance for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Was the class taught by the chemistry department? If it was I'm pretty sure it will count.

Last edited:
Yes, the chemistry department offers two distinct chemistry courses for science and non-science majors. I was told by an advisor that the course wouldn't count towards my science GPA, but their doesn't seem to be any differentiation between the two on the AMCAS application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, the chemistry department offers two distinct chemistry courses for science and non-science majors. I was told by an advisor that the course wouldn't count towards my science GPA, but their doesn't seem to be any differentiation between the two on the AMCAS application.

Yes, it counts in your science gpa. especially if the class reads CHEM101 or something like that.

PS - I have the same issue you do.

Thanks for the help. Thank God it didn't take me too long to figure out what I wanted to do, but it's reassuring to know I'm not the only one who's shot themself in the foot in their first semester or two.

I took a psychology class that was from the Biology department and I placed it outside of the Bio department, just don't list it in the BCPM section when you are applying.

Last edited: