GPA issues: same number from UG to Post-Bacc

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Ronald Kris

Full Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm thinking about taking the post-bac requirements after I finish my masters degree. My major was not in the sciences as UG and my masters is not either: its in a quantitative business field in a cohort filled to the brim with former engineering/math students. My GPA will likely be 3.4 cumulative in both. While I am going to try for the highest grades possible in the science courses I take, if I come out with a 3.4 in those too, am I competitive for US medical schools (both osteo and allo)? Assuming I get the equivalent of 27 or 28 on the MCAT? The schools range from joke 4-year UG at a pay-go to a top research university known for STEM for grad school and post-bac.
 
3.4/28 isn't going to cut it for MD unless you get lucky with state schools or some such. I'd suggest a mix of lower tier MD/DO but MD is not super likely. Or URM would also help.

Also, don't worry about the master's GPA. Unless it is a SMP or similar program it wouldn't really be looked at. You should crush post-bacc which would in turn raise your cumulative undergrad GPA and since you've had little science you would have a very good sGPA.

27 is a full 4 points under the average matriculant MCAT score so that's not ideal either.
 
also worth mentioning is that I have two options: shoot for a true post-bacc or take the courses at the school I'm currently doing a masters at, but as a non-degree student. Does that make a difference in the eyes of adcoms? I did once have a prior career in the field in which I currently study, tho I did that before coming to grad school.