GPA issues...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lildochapi777

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are there any DO schools that would accept students with lower GPA's? and what is the minimum GPA limit for being accepted into a DO college?
:help:

Members don't see this ad.

Are there any DO schools that would accept students with lower GPA's? and what is the minimum GPA limit for being accepted into a DO college?

Why don't we do this the easy way? What's your GPA?

They all accept students with lower GPAs.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using SDN Mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
They all accept students with lower GPAs.

....than janitorial colleges. But seriously OP, this thread would be more productive if you gave a ballpark GPA for people to consider. "Low GPA" is too subjective. Having said that, the search function is towards the top of the page.

Last edited:
....than janitorial colleges. But seriously OP, this thread would be more productive if you gave a ballpark GPA for people to consider. "Low GPA" is too subjective. Having said that, the search function is towards the top of the page.

A relative of mine told me and my mom that the minimum required for admission was about 3.6

Last edited:
I've heard most schools have a 3.0 cutoff. You can easily google search for the average GPA for schools you are interested in.

AACOM reports the average applicant has a 3.41 GPA, but obviously that will be different for matriculates. Of course, people get in with lower GPAs, especially if balanced by a high MCAT score.

currently 2.9..but i still have a year left plus the current semester to change that

The cool thing about DO is that can be easily corrected by grade replacement. Just retake a couple of the classes you did particularly bad in, especially any medical school pre-reqs.

The cool thing about DO is that can be easily corrected by grade replacement. Just retake a couple of the classes you did particularly bad in, especially any medical school pre-reqs.

that is a great idea. I was thinking about that myself :) i plan to do so, there's actually only one that I'm not happy with, but at the same time i shall do my best in my upcoming classes.

I've heard most schools have a 3.0 cutoff. You can easily google search for the average GPA for schools you are interested in.

AACOM reports the average applicant has a 3.41 GPA, but obviously that will be different for matriculates. Of course, people get in with lower GPAs, especially if balanced by a high MCAT score.

That's a relief. So I should do really well on my MCAT to balance the GPA if in case it gets lower by the time I'm done with pre-med.

Are these GPA stats after the adjustment?

Members don't see this ad :)
A relative of mine told me and my mom that the minimum required for admission was about 3.6

No school has a minimum of 3.6.

that is a great idea. I was thinking about that myself :) i plan to do so, there's actually only one that I'm not happy with,

If you have a 2.9 as a Junior, there are most likely a handful of classes that you got C's (or lower) in. Retake any and all science courses that are below a B-. You'll be amazed by how much of a gpa boost this will give you.

By retaking two science C's as well as acing about 30 hours of science classes, I've raised my sGPA from a 3.2 to a 3.51 in two semesters.

If you have a 2.9 as a Junior, there are most likely a handful of classes that you got C's (or lower) in. Retake any and all science courses that are below a B-. You'll be amazed by how much of a gpa boost this will give you.

By retaking two science C's as well as acing about 30 hours of science classes, I've raised my sGPA from a 3.2 to a 3.51 in two semesters.

i have a C in one science class and there are other C's but in classes that have nothing to do with my major. Those were just required classes. Do those count too??

i have a C in one science class and there are other C's but in classes that have nothing to do with my major. Those were just required classes. Do those count too??

They count for cGPA and non science GPA. All of which should be greater than 3.00. I would focus on science classes though.

They count for cGPA and non science GPA. All of which should be greater than 3.00. I would focus on science classes though.

tbh my upcoming classes are nothing but science classes..all my gen ed reqs are finished. last spring my GPA went upto 3.17. it went down after fall semester

tbh my upcoming classes are nothing but science classes..all my gen ed reqs are finished. last spring my GPA went upto 3.17. it went down after fall semester

As long as your non science is already over 3.0 I think you should only take sciences. Except for the non sciences you still need to graduate and complete prereqs.

I second MedPr on the sGPA advice. A 3.17 should be a low semester in your career if you want to get competitive. It would behoove you to retake science classes you pulled lower than a B in (C- is unacceptable for credit). This will show that you are capable of the coursework and will get you above a 3.0, a GPA that is still just getting by. It will be a rough road, but much easier and shorter than Med School is.

As long as your non science is already over 3.0 I think you should only take sciences. Except for the non sciences you still need to graduate and complete prereqs.

Does non-science show up on the application? I have a GPA close enough to the OP, and my science GPA is a 3.4, will they see that too?

Accepted class of 2017. My school reports cGPA as 2.98, AACOMAS I think was something like 2.85.

I had an upward jun/senior trend, good life experience, and a very strong MCAT though. You have to be able to show that you are capable, and show evidence for why your GPA is low. And yes... just skip applying to MD schools and save yourself the 2000 bucks.... which I did not.

Does non-science show up on the application? I have a GPA close enough to the OP, and my science GPA is a 3.4, will they see that too?

yes, they will see cGPA, sGPA and overall GPA

Its a nice little chart broken down by year and category.

I thought it didn't, but I was recently corrected. Apparently AACOMAS shows non science, science, and cumulative.

OP, check out the under dog thread.

Sent from my LG-E739 using SDN Mobile

OP, definitely take advantage of AACOMAS's grade replacement policy. I brought my science GPA up from a 2.6 to a 3.3 in two semesters.

Some have 3.00, 3.25, and others have 2.75.

Google the College Information Book. It's essentially the MSAR for DO schools, except it's free.

That said, if you intend to apply with a 2.9, I hope you have amazing stories to tell about your life.

Google the College Information Book. It's essentially the MSAR for DO schools, except it's free.

That said, if you intend to apply with a 2.9, I hope you have amazing stories to tell about your life.
Thanks, I shall look it up :D
I wish to stay in the >3.0 level GPA though and i will work hard with the upcoming classes.

Most schools would auto reject him below a 3.00 so they may never even read his story.

Thanks, I shall look it up :D
I wish to stay in the >3.0 level GPA though and i will work hard with the upcoming classes.

Most schools would auto reject him below a 3.00 so they may never even read his story.

It really varies. I've read a few stories this cycle from people under 3.00 that had a ton of interviews because of their varied and diverse history.

Granted, n=3 is not a great sample size.