This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dentalmaze101

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
so basically I have a 2.9 right now I will be applying for dental school this may and by the time My grades for this semester get here I will most likely have a 3.1. However I got a d+ in organic chemistry1 a B- in organic chemistry 2 I failed anatomy and physiology 2 and retook it for an A at a community college. I also got a D in anatomy 1 and retook it for an A in a community college. My science GPA Will be around a 3.1 as well. physics 1 and 2 i received a B. I took chemistry 1 and got a C the first time then retook it for a A. took chemistry 2 and dropped it twice and the 3rd time i got a B. the rest of my grades are well. B in biochemistry A in microbiology and was planning on retaking organic chemistry 1 for a better grade while I have my gap year. I am hoping to take my Dat in june. I have a lot of volunteering work and leadership positions. My question is do you think I have a chance at getting admitted this year? I am looking to apply to schools all around the U.S.If you do not think I can get in what do you think i should do inorder to get in next cycle?

Members don't see this ad.

A lot will depend on your DAT scores and how well you do on it. If it's low, then you may need to prepare for a retake/re-application next cycle. The D in organic chemistry will not be looked upon favorably during the upcoming cycle, especially if you do not have a final re-take grade for it by the time you're applying.
what wold be a favorable DAT score with my stats?

the university i go to does not have organic chemistry during the summer however community college does. What if i take organic chemistry 1 again in june and apply when i get my grades and DAtT score in july?

Members don't see this ad :)
so basically I have a 2.9 right now I will be applying for dental school this may and by the time My grades for this semester get here I will most likely have a 3.1. However I got a d+ in organic chemistry1 a B- in organic chemistry 2 I failed anatomy and physiology 2 and retook it for an A at a community college. I also got a D in anatomy 1 and retook it for an A in a community college. My science GPA Will be around a 3.1 as well. physics 1 and 2 i received a B. I took chemistry 1 and got a C the first time then retook it for a A. took chemistry 2 and dropped it twice and the 3rd time i got a B. the rest of my grades are well. B in biochemistry A in microbiology and was planning on retaking organic chemistry 1 for a better grade while I have my gap year. I am hoping to take my Dat in june. I have a lot of volunteering work and leadership positions. My question is do you think I have a chance at getting admitted this year? I am looking to apply to schools all around the U.S.If you do not think I can get in what do you think i should do inorder to get in next cycle?
I'm in a similar boat as you so I feel your worries! My advice is to study for the DAT like your life depends upon it...because if you want to get into dental school this cycle - it does! Best of luck!

Many schools limit the number of prerequisite credits you can take at community college, so look into that before you decide on which schools to apply. I suggest considering a masters program, though. One concern adcoms will have is if you can handle dental school classes if you retook the classes you didn’t do well in at community college instead of a 4-year program. So look into some sort of post-bac/masters to prove that you have what it take. That and kill the DAT

Your history indicates a lot of retakes due to lack of success the first time around, and success only at the community college level. Dental school will not allow that amount of retakes. The course load first year is very difficult, even for those who have been successful in college. Rethink your path. There are lots of things to do in life, dentistry is just one of them.

I know for certain that all California schools reject you if you have lower than c in prerequisites even if you have great dat, etc. So def don’t waste your money on them if you decide to apply.