Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

GPA& Med School

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by Ben25, Dec 16, 2008.

1. Ben25

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    After finishing my 1st semester of junior year, I have been starting to doubt my abilities. With a 3.5 GPA (A's in Calc 1 and 2, A's in gen chem 1 and 2 and lab, B+/B in Org1 and 2, and C+/C in org 1 and 2 lab, and a B- in physics 1 and A in lab), I have started to think maybe I need another career path. I have 350 hours of shadowing and assisting in the operating room and 1 semseter of undergraduate research. I looked at some schools in PA that have a mean 3.6 GPA. Does a 3.5 GPA mean I am not competitive enough for any MD program? I still have to take the MCAT and I know thats a large factor to get into med school. Should I keep working or maybe try and do a post bacc. program?

#1 Ben25, Dec 16, 2008
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2008
  2. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Your GPA isn't low enough to warrant a decision to go post bacc right away. You should at least apply first and see what happens. Is it below average for most schools? Yes, but not by much, and its not low enough to get you automatically denied. There are a lot of med schools with GPAs at the 3.6 range. You also need to take your MCAT. If you do well on that, then DEFINITELY apply.

If you are still scared about not getting in, you can always broaden your scope and apply DO as well. I dont think will be necessary if you do well on your MCAT and apply early and broadly, but it wont hurt.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. SiR99

10+ Year Member

One thing you should NOT do is doubt yourself

A 3.5+ is pretty good and you still have a good chance at getting into medical school.

Remember that most numbers you see are Average number, so Half of the people are below these numbers.

Also you need to realize that some people with really high gpa's sacrifice their EC's.

4. funkymunkytoes

2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    With a 3.5, several hours of shadowing and clinical experience, and since you haven't even taken the MCAT yet, there should be absolutely nothing that deters you from medical school. Since--I'm assuming--you've completed just about all your med school pre-reqs, take an easier load of courses and improve the GPA. If you maintain a GPA, and rock the MCAT, you are a shoe in at med school!

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. airplanes

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    3.5 + Nice MCAT = no problems whatsoever.

6. Fakesmile

7+ Year Member

You still have one more year.
    Don't ever give up. You can do it if it's what you really want.

7. meister

meister Senior Member
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    A 3.5 with a solid MCAT is more than enough to get you interviewed at a good number of schools. Aim for a 32 and you're golden.

8. shiftingmirage

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Had a 3.5 and a 30 and got into a US MD school. Make sure you apply early (have secondaries in by Aug).

9. Narmerguy

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

No that is NOT what an average number means. You are describing a median.