GPA& Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ben25

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After finishing my 1st semester of junior year, I have been starting to doubt my abilities. With a 3.5 GPA (A's in Calc 1 and 2, A's in gen chem 1 and 2 and lab, B+/B in Org1 and 2, and C+/C in org 1 and 2 lab, and a B- in physics 1 and A in lab), I have started to think maybe I need another career path. I have 350 hours of shadowing and assisting in the operating room and 1 semseter of undergraduate research. I looked at some schools in PA that have a mean 3.6 GPA. Does a 3.5 GPA mean I am not competitive enough for any MD program? I still have to take the MCAT and I know thats a large factor to get into med school. Should I keep working or maybe try and do a post bacc. program?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
After finishing my 1st semester of junior I have be starting to doubt my abilities. With a 3.5 GPA (A's in Calc 1 and 2, A's in gen chem 1 and 2 and lab, B+/B in Org1 and 2, and C+/C in org 1 and 2 lab, and a B- in physics 1 and A in lab), I have started to think maybe I need another career path. I have 350 hours of shadowing and assisting in the operating room and 1 semseter of undergraduate research. I looked at some schools in PA that have a mean 3.6 GPA. Does a 3.5 GPA mean I am not competitive enough for any MD program? I still have to take the MCAT and I know that a large factor to get into med school. Should I keep working or maybe try and do a post bacc. program?

Your GPA isn't low enough to warrant a decision to go post bacc right away. You should at least apply first and see what happens. Is it below average for most schools? Yes, but not by much, and its not low enough to get you automatically denied. There are a lot of med schools with GPAs at the 3.6 range. You also need to take your MCAT. If you do well on that, then DEFINITELY apply.

If you are still scared about not getting in, you can always broaden your scope and apply DO as well. I dont think will be necessary if you do well on your MCAT and apply early and broadly, but it wont hurt.

One thing you should NOT do is doubt yourself

A 3.5+ is pretty good and you still have a good chance at getting into medical school.

Remember that most numbers you see are Average number, so Half of the people are below these numbers.

Also you need to realize that some people with really high gpa's sacrifice their EC's.

Members don't see this ad :)
With a 3.5, several hours of shadowing and clinical experience, and since you haven't even taken the MCAT yet, there should be absolutely nothing that deters you from medical school. Since--I'm assuming--you've completed just about all your med school pre-reqs, take an easier load of courses and improve the GPA. If you maintain a GPA, and rock the MCAT, you are a shoe in at med school!

You still have one more year.
Don't ever give up. You can do it if it's what you really want.

A 3.5 with a solid MCAT is more than enough to get you interviewed at a good number of schools. Aim for a 32 and you're golden.

Had a 3.5 and a 30 and got into a US MD school. Make sure you apply early (have secondaries in by Aug).