GPA, not what it seems

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bla_3x

Grip it and rip it!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
My GPA should end up around 3.3-3.4 after this spring. However, although this is not a completely devastating number I have quite a few F's especially in the beginning of my college carrier. I was a very unfocused student, completely in limbo as to what I was going to do with my life. One F (last spring) was due to my resigning my position as an RA-with which there was a leadership class attached. Is this going to hang me in my hopes to attend medical school?

Members don't see this ad.

Although I cant tell you what your chances are, I can tell you that F's will not keep you from med school. I have two F's from my first year in college, and I have been accepted to both DO and MD schools. I have had quite a few interviews, and not one person has asked about them.

Take this for what you will, and feel free to email me if you want to know any specifics...good luck.

Not at all, especially being from Nevada. The average GPA of those accepted to University of Nevada Reno are on par with yours. They usually get less than 200 in-state applicants for the 50 posistions available and apparently this is a real down year (few applicants) for them. Good luck...

Members don't see this ad :)
Im somewhat in the same boat. I graduated from brandeis with a 2.4 gpa with 3 Ds. Im at UTD now and while I dont have a very strong gpa, 3.0, I have manged to keep it consistent(only 2 Cs and I retook 1 of the classes) Everything else has been a B and a few As.

I was told by my advisor that Im a borderline candidate because my gpa isn't as strong as those I will be competing with that I can somewhat redeem myself with the MCAT.

It keeps up at nights sometimes worrying, but I get myself to sleep and gives me that extra motivation in the morning to wake up a little earlier and study more and harder for it.

Hope you make it!

A gpa of a 3.3 should limit you to a few DO/MD schools..depending on what your MCAT scores are. You claimed to have some "f's" earlier on in college? Well, the mere act of failing a course will stand out on your resume. BEst of luck on your acceptance....you'll need it.

Schools definately take into account increasing grade trends, so if you failed classes early on, they will take it into consideration. Out of curiosity did you retake the classes that you failed? An important note is the the DO school application replaces the F if you retake it. The MD aplication does not, they count all F's even if you retake the class. A 3.3 and a couple of failures tells me that you must have done pretty well in your classes otherwise, which is a good thing. Well good luck, and never give up!!

Well it's a long story. When I began college I was a music major not really knowing what was to become of me. the classes that I failed were all due to simply being a dumb@##@ and not properly dropping some classes: a piano, music ed lab, ear training to be specific. The ear training was 3cr, and was the highest credit class. What is sad about the ear training class is that I had taken it and passed with a B, but somehow I was registered for it and never went. By the time I found out it was too late. I know that this is probably really unthinkable for most, hey it makes me nauseous thinking back to my 1st two years.

Just wanted to let you guys know that absolutely ANYTHING is possible. Early in my undergrad career I had a devestating 6 months and never withdrew from any classes. I got incompletes for most of my classes for those 2 semesters and some in the following two semesters while trying to make them up. All in all I couldn't do it and all the incompletes lapsed into F's... lots of them. Although I did have extremely extenuating circumstances (all were documented and provided to all the schools I applied too) my transcript looked HORRIBLE and my GPA still didn't look too hot even with the way AACOMAS caluculates it. The hope here... I was granted interviews at every DO school I applied to (I denied most of them due to an acceptance at my top choice school). So, all is possible. Just try your best to acknowledge the not-so-great portions of your application and prove that they have made you better in some way... turn the bad into good. Never give up hope. Good luck!!! Hope I helped.