GPA/PCAT scores

Started by kayjay
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

kayjay

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm soooo worried! I've already completed my pre-req's for the schools I'm applying to, but I'm completing my BS this spring. My GPA on PharmCAS is a 3.41, which is below the school's average of accepted applicants for fall 2005 (a 3.5) for the school I desperately want to get into! I'm certain that my grades for this fall will bring my GPA down even more to perhaps a 3.37. Not gooooood!! PharmCAS just re-opened so I'm assuming that grades for this fall should be posted, despite the fact that my completed pre-req grades have already been entered. My PCAT score is above the average (a composite of 84, and my designated school's avg. is a 75). Despite the fact that a variety of factors are considered by admissions, (i.e. volunteer/work experience, EC's, and suppemental app. materials), I'm upset that my GPA will blow my chances of getting in!!! What do you guys think?
 
kayjay said:
I'm soooo worried! I've already completed my pre-req's for the schools I'm applying to, but I'm completing my BS this spring. My GPA on PharmCAS is a 3.41, which is below the school's average of accepted applicants for fall 2005 (a 3.5) for the school I desperately want to get into! I'm certain that my grades for this fall will bring my GPA down even more to perhaps a 3.37. Not gooooood!! PharmCAS just re-opened so I'm assuming that grades for this fall should be posted, despite the fact that my completed pre-req grades have already been entered. My PCAT score is above the average (a composite of 84, and my designated school's avg. is a 75). Despite the fact that a variety of factors are considered by admissions, (i.e. volunteer/work experience, EC's, and suppemental app. materials), I'm upset that my GPA will blow my chances of getting in!!! What do you guys think?

Sorry, I have to chuckle when folks with GPAs in the mid 3s get so distressed. Really, your GPA is fine. When schools say that their average GPA is a 3.4, that's just what it is - an average. There are some 4.0's and there are some below a 3.

Remember, though, that GPA is not the sole criterion upon which an acceptance is given. The interview is a huge factor. I'd wait at least until that point to worry. 😉
 
The whole process will make you worry no matter what. Your GPA and PCAT sound just fine. I had a 3.67GPA/97 PCAT, pharmacy experience, EC's, the whole package, and I STILL constantly worried until I knew I was in. Just try and relax and don't apply to just 1 school like I did. It worked out, but it's so nerve-wracking knowing I'd be nowhere if my school didn't accept me. Focus on your interviews for now and be sure to ace them!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OSURxgirl said:
The whole process will make you worry no matter what. Your GPA and PCAT sound just fine. I had a 3.67GPA/97 PCAT, pharmacy experience, EC's, the whole package, and I STILL constantly worried until I knew I was in. Just try and relax and don't apply to just 1 school like I did. It worked out, but it's so nerve-wracking knowing I'd be nowhere if my school didn't accept me. Focus on your interviews for now and be sure to ace them!

Wow! If I had those stats (3.67 GPA with a 97 PCAT composite), I sure as heck would not be worrying as much as I am now. If you were worrying that much with those scores, I should be worrying twice as much!! 😱 I have EC's, experience, etc. but hearing that so many people around me have scored in the 90's on their PCAT just doesn't make things better for me. The interview for the school I'm interested in isn't much of an interview, plus I think by the time u're invited, they've pretty much chosen who they are and aren't going to accept. By the way, can I ask what school u are currently attending?
 
KayJay-

What school has an average PCAT of 75th percentile? University of Florida (where I want to go) has an average of 90th.
Thanks, Mark


kayjay said:
Wow! If I had those stats (3.67 GPA with a 97 PCAT composite), I sure as heck would not be worrying as much as I am now. If you were worrying that much with those scores, I should be worrying twice as much!! 😱 I have EC's, experience, etc. but hearing that so many people around me have scored in the 90's on their PCAT just doesn't make things better for me. The interview for the school I'm interested in isn't much of an interview, plus I think by the time u're invited, they've pretty much chosen who they are and aren't going to accept. By the way, can I ask what school u are currently attending?
 
FutureRxGal:
From your old posts, seems like u;ve already attended a MCV at CCP. By any chance, do you know how long after your application status is complete did you hear back from them?
 
Like the above poster said, the average 3.5 GPA isn't that big of a deal... just think, there were plenty of people that got in with well below that. Your stats look good! Try not to stress too much about it (easier said than done, I know)! I'm sure you have a great chance of being accepted. Good luck!
 
kayjay said:
FutureRxGal:
From your old posts, seems like u;ve already attended a MCV at CCP. By any chance, do you know how long after your application status is complete did you hear back from them?

I haven't heard anything yet, but I'm supposed to hear something by this week. My visit was on 11/29.
 
kayjay said:
I'm soooo worried! I've already completed my pre-req's for the schools I'm applying to, but I'm completing my BS this spring. My GPA on PharmCAS is a 3.41, which is below the school's average of accepted applicants for fall 2005 (a 3.5) for the school I desperately want to get into! I'm certain that my grades for this fall will bring my GPA down even more to perhaps a 3.37. Not gooooood!! PharmCAS just re-opened so I'm assuming that grades for this fall should be posted, despite the fact that my completed pre-req grades have already been entered. My PCAT score is above the average (a composite of 84, and my designated school's avg. is a 75). Despite the fact that a variety of factors are considered by admissions, (i.e. volunteer/work experience, EC's, and suppemental app. materials), I'm upset that my GPA will blow my chances of getting in!!! What do you guys think?

if i had your stats, i wouldnt be worrying at all! i'm definitely lower than the 3.5 average & i feel like i still have hope (after talking to rx admissions counselors). try to relax... worst comes to worst, resort to plan b (not the overnite pill) - haha. g'luck & happy holidays