gpa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dancote

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been back in school doing prerequisite courses for 4 semesters after being out of school over 10 years. I have had all A s and had hoped that the D.O. schools would seperate the newer gpa from my older lower one.
A Michigan MD school admissions advisor told me that the MD schools in MI count my situation as a "fresh start" and disregard the older gpa. But, talking to the MSUCOM advisor, she said they do not seperate the two. Is this true of D.O. schools in general?

I feel that my most recent gpa is the real indicator of my seriousness and determination.

-Dan Cote'

Members don't see this ad.

If you retook any of the classes, your most recent grade will count toward your AACOMAS GPA, even though all grades will be reported on your AACOMAS transcript.

DO schools tend to evaluate the whole application, and your recent improvement will undoubtedly be taken into consideration. They do not, to my knowledge, separate old from new GPAs in any systematic manner. If you want to bring attention to it, write a sentence or two about it in your personal statement.

unlikely to separate new GPA with old one, but recent As will be much more important than 10-year old C. Sounds like you are fine since you get all As in 4 semsters. Do well on MCAT and you will get in. Getting in is actually not as hard as you think. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lealf-ye said:
unlikely to separate new GPA with old one, but recent As will be much more important than 10-year old C. Sounds like you are fine since you get all As in 4 semsters. Do well on MCAT and you will get in. Getting in is actually not as hard as you think. :)

This is probably what the director of the MD school was talking about. Your grades over the past few years will be taken much more seriously than your grades from 10 years ago. You will still have to add those grades to your GPA. I would suggest adressing this issue in your personal statement.

as long as you show an upward trend, then I wouldn't worry about it. Adcoms are made up of human beings that are capable of recognizing when people have turned their lives around. I would talk about why you didn't do well the first time in your personal statement. Don't give them excuses, but reasons.

My girlfriend had a child when I was 19 and we got married after my first year of college. I then worked full time for 2.5 years while going to college full time as a chemistry major/premed. My early grades were not pretty. But I learned from my mistakes, quit my job and got much better grades. The adcoms recognized this and I got in to med school.

I'm sure you have a story. Tell it, and you will be ok.

wbdo