GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cantaloupe001

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding schools that accept people with low GPA. I earned a BSEE In 2005 with GPA of 2.93, then a MSEE in 2018 with GPA of 3.68. I was wondering if it is too late to go to medical school now? If not is there any school in the USA or Canada that might accept a student with a GPA less than 3.0?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Members don't see this ad.

What is Bachelors of Science in Electrical Engineering?

If you want the best chance possible, you will want to do a formal post-bacc or a DIY post-bacc to raise your GPA. Sub 3.0 is a no-go, essentially, for MD. Do tends to be more forgiving but you would still want to do current science courses to show that you can handle medical school.

Your undergrad GPA is extremely low. The masters GPA is also not going to be considered strong, but cool that you have the masters. I think your best bet is a do it yourself post-bac. Sign up at a college as a BS/ BA Bio major and take the premed courses you need. Do not finish the major and then apply for an SMP.
You should make sure you have General Chemistry 1/2, Biology, 1/2, Physics 1/2, Organic Chemistry 1/2, Biochemistry and maybe Genetics.
As you progress you can research SMPs more as they are not all created equal. You can also evaluate if you wish to just enrich your post-bac GPA and apply DO, or complete the SMP and apply DO and MD.
You should also consider (as you get comfortable in these courses) to begin building your ECs (Extracurriculars) such as Shadowing (primary/ maybe an interested specialty if you really want) and volunteer work (can do medical related or non-medical i.e. soup kitchen or whatever.) Consider research if you are interested only as this is preferred by mid-high tier MDs.

Reactions: 1 users