GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medmom

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just read a post on the allo board about someone that had a 2.94 and wanted to know their chances or something. Alot of people said there was a very little chance and even DO schools wouldn't consider a 2.94. Is this true? i was under the impression that while not great a 2.94 for a DO school wouldn't be terrible either. I know at MD schools chances would be slim, but what do you think the chances would be for DO? (I know it depends on MCAT too, so assume say a 27 MCAT just for fun.)
I am in a similar bracket but I sill have 2 semesters worth of grades before I apply. Although I am curious because I don't know how much my GPA will go up.

Members don't see this ad.

medmom said:
I just read a post on the allo board about someone that had a 2.94 and wanted to know their chances or something. Alot of people said there was avery little chance and even DO schools wouldn't consider a 2.94. Is this true. i was under the impression that while not great a 2.94 for a DO school woulnd't be terrible either. I know a MD school chances would be slim, but what do you think the chances would be for DO?
I am in a similar bracket but I sill have 2 semesters worth of grades before I apply. Although I am curious because I don't know how much my GPA will go up.

2.94 is not terrible for oseopathic schools...you have to figure the average GPA is about 3.1-3.2 for most schools, meaning that there are a few 3.5's in there with lower MCAT scores leaving room for a few 2.8's with higher MACT scores; there has to be some balance. If you have 2 semesters left, there's more than enough opportunity to get your GPA up over a 3.0. I feel like if that is where you are, EC's, letters of rec, and MCAT scores are big. Best of luck...dont put too much into those who say "there's really no shot"...there are too many other factors that come into play, no one can really make that call unless they're on an admission committee. :thumbup:

nico05 said:
2.94 is not terrible for oseopathic schools...you have to figure the average GPA is about 3.1-3.2 for most schools, meaning that there are a few 3.5's in there with lower MCAT scores leaving room for a few 2.8's with higher MACT scores; there has to be some balance. If you have 2 semesters left, there's more than enough opportunity to get your GPA up over a 3.0. I feel like if that is where you are, EC's, letters of rec, and MCAT scores are big. Best of luck...dont put too much into those who say "there's really no shot"...there are too many other factors that come into play, no one can really make that call unless they're on an admission committee. :thumbup:

Not quite true. In fact, the average for all DO schools is 3.35 I think. That said, it is sure not impossible, but anything sub 3.1 ish is going to hurt, and anythind below 3.0 is going to hurt a lot and you have to make up for it a whole bunch. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
OTher factors would have to contribute to your application for that kind of score. Are you a non-traditional student? Were you involved in other activities? etc. etc. etc. Average scores for osteopathic schools are going up, so really try to bring up your grades; for grades can be more important than the MCAT (reason: grades show perseverence and dedication (meaning that these are scores taken over a long time period) whereas the MCAT is a one shot test that shows how well you can answer specific questions under pressure during that day). Ultimately, show that you are well rounded in other areas and you have a fairly good shot.

medic170 said:
Not quite true. In fact, the average for all DO schools is 3.35 I think. That said, it is sure not impossible, but anything sub 3.1 ish is going to hurt, and anythind below 3.0 is going to hurt a lot and you have to make up for it a whole bunch. Good luck.

Ok, i double checked my numbers and you are right 3.3 is the average overall, 3.2 average BCPM but, you cant really say that a 2.94 vs. a 3.0 is going to be detrimental to someone's application, can you? I can understand where this may apply to a student with a GPA around 2.7, but a 2.94?? Again, a better than average MCAT score, good EC's, and good letters can help you out, even with (oh my GOD) a 2.94.

medmom said:
I just read a post on the allo board about someone that had a 2.94 and wanted to know their chances or something. Alot of people said there was a very little chance and even DO schools wouldn't consider a 2.94. Is this true? i was under the impression that while not great a 2.94 for a DO school wouldn't be terrible either. I know at MD schools chances would be slim, but what do you think the chances would be for DO? (I know it depends on MCAT too, so assume say a 27 MCAT just for fun.)

2.75 is minimum gpa for most DO schools

medmom said:

I don't think that I would label a 2.94 as a competitive GPA. Believe me, I am sure that there are people who are accepted every year with a GPA in this range.

As already stated, if all of the other parts of your application are competitive, then I would say that you'll at least get an interview.

It is at the interview that you need to set yourself apart from the rest of the applicants. Something that makes you unique always gives you good life experiences that you can talk about at your interview.

In my opinion, you need to get your GPA to over 3.1. Work your tail off for the next two semesters to get it higher.

I started college with a poor GPA. I had to work hard in years 2,3, and 4 to bring it up to a 3.35. The fact that I had significantly higher GPA's in those years also helped. This may be the case for you as well.

Just work hard the next two semesters. Prove that you can handle high level science courses. Also, if you have any doubt in your mind about your ability to get accepted, consider doing a Post-bac. program for a year to prove that you can compete in Med school level courses.

More advice- Research Osteopathic medicine. Learn about the history and its philosophy. Don't apply to DO school only because you know that the average MCAT scores and GPA's are lower than MD schools. Go to DO school because you believe in Osteopathy and you want to be a Doctor of Osteopathic medicine. If this is not the case, apply to MD schools only.

Just my opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

Chisel
MS III PCOM

Thanks to everyone for replying, I know that a 2.94 would not be really competetive, like I said I had seen someone elses post where people were saying not a chance. And I was under the impression that D.O.'s are a little less concerned with stellar grades. (not to underplay the importance of good grades). As to what the pp said, I actually began this process with M.D. in mind until my advisor pointed me in this direction and from what I have read I LOVE the DO philosophy, actually the only reason I would chose MD over DO is because we have a state MD school that happens to be located near family (ie babysitters). Other than that I would go with DO hands down. I think that treating the whole person seems like it would be a much more effiecient way to practice medicine. Not to mention I LOVE the OMM, I think that any treatment that works and doesn't abuse drugs is a great thing. Anyways, sorry about the rant. Like I said I was just thinking that a 2.9 while not competetive per se was not THAT bad.
To answer someone's Q, I am a nontrad (3 kids), with a disadvantaged background, no family members even went to college, I work, and I have volunteered for a year and counting at the hospital. So a I am trying to balance the GPA as much as possible. I am also going to start studying this summer for the April 2006 MCAT with hopes of rocking it and plan to retake it in August 2006 if I am not pleased. :D

medmom said:
Thanks to everyone for replying, I know that a 2.94 would not be really competetive, like I said I had seen someone elses post where people were saying not a chance. And I was under the impression that D.O.'s are a little less concerned with stellar grades. (not to underplay the importance of good grades). As to what the pp said, I actually began this process with M.D. in mind until my advisor pointed me in this direction and from what I have read I LOVE the DO philosophy, actually the only reason I would chose MD over DO is because we have a state MD school that happens to be located near family (ie babysitters). Other than that I would go with DO hands down. I think that treating the whole person seems like it would be a much more effiecient way to practice medicine. Not to mention I LOVE the OMM, I think that any treatment that works and doesn't abuse drugs is a great thing. Anyways, sorry about the rant. Like I said I was just thinking that a 2.9 while not competetive per se was not THAT bad.
To answer someone's Q, I am a nontrad (3 kids), with a disadvantaged background, no family members even went to college, I work, and I have volunteered for a year and counting at the hospital. So a I am trying to balance the GPA as much as possible. I am also going to start studying this summer for the April 2006 MCAT with hopes of rocking it and plan to retake it in August 2006 if I am not pleased. :D

2.9* would be very hard for allopathic schools. If not impossible. For D.O. schools the same...as mentioned the average is 3.3. And if you think about it, the people with <3.3 have really good MCAT, or some other reason. If you rock the MCAT with 30+, it could help to explain the GPA. If worse comes to worse, take a few classes and volunteer a bunch. It will boost your resume. But the important thing is go for your dream. If you want to be a doctor, try, try, try again. But along the way, build up your resume.

nico05 said:
Ok,but, you cant really say that a 2.94 is going to be detrimental to someone's application, can you?

Uh, actually, yes I can and I do.

medic170 said:
Uh, actually, yes I can and I do.

Well then, you must be the say-all-end-all. I didnt know.

medmom said:

Your 2.9 is not the worst, but it certainly is a weak point that will need to be addressed, brought up, and/or made up for in other parts of your application. Sounds like you are on the right track and I wish you luck, but it does you no good for people to tell you it won't hurt you much when it will. It is a disservice to you to be told that a 2.9 will not hinder your application significantly as you need a valid assesment so that you can do the work that needs to be done to achieve your dream. Again, good luck!!!!

Well considering neither one of us is on the admissions committee, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, we know as much as you. Go for it, work as hard as you possibly can regardless. Best of luck.

jmalik said:
2.9* would be very hard for allopathic schools. If not impossible. For D.O. schools the same...as mentioned the average is 3.3. And if you think about it, the people with <3.3 have really good MCAT, or some other reason. If you rock the MCAT with 30+, it could help to explain the GPA. If worse comes to worse, take a few classes and volunteer a bunch. It will boost your resume. But the important thing is go for your dream. If you want to be a doctor, try, try, try again. But along the way, build up your resume.

From what I have read on the DO school stats, 3.3 is not the avg. It's more like 2.7ish-2.8ish. I gleaned this from The PR Complete Book of Medical Schools, 2004 Edition.

And it can be done, look at the MDapplicants.com site.

Thoughtfully yours,
Blessed1

I am surprised by how many times I have seen on this forum people justify either a low GPA or another criteria as being competitive, or 'not that bad,' for osteopathic schools. The admissions statistics are indeed somewhat below that of allopathic schools, however common sense should dictate that if an applicant's scores are below that of a particular school's (or set of schools), the probability of being accepted will likely decline somewhat. The averages are there for a reason; they are there to guide you.

To address your question, ideally I think it would be best if you bring your GPA at least up to the 3.0 mark; 3.1+ if you possibly can. If you are not even planning to take the MCAT until April 2006, you have plenty of time to do this. Generally, if an applicant is accepted with less-than-average numbers, they have something else on their application that will make up for the difference (usually lots of experience); the same thing goes for having a high MCAT to balance out a low GPA, etc.

As for blessed1, for the Fall 2003 application cycle, the avg. cumulative GPA was 3.36; this is directly off the AACOMAS website. PR is wrong. I remember buying their book - it is not very well constructed at all, but nowhere did I ever see 2.7-2.8 either. If you look at the MDapplicants.com website, you will also see that the statistics are somewhat skewed - the averages tend to be quite higher in comparison. I think you need to check your references a bit better next time.

blessed1 said:
From what I have read on the DO school stats, 3.3 is not the avg. It's more like 2.7ish-2.8ish. I gleaned this from The PR Complete Book of Medical Schools, 2004 Edition.

Thoughtfully yours,
Blessed1

Are you joking? Just look at AACOM, there is not ONE SINGLE school with admissions averages below 3.2. Stop fluffing the OP, it does no good.

nico05 said:
Well considering neither one of us is on the admissions committee, I guess we'll just agree to disagree, we know as much as you. Go for it, work as hard as you possibly can regardless. Best of luck.

You don't have to be on the ADCOM to know that a 2.9 is significantly below a 3.35.

Rather than debate how bad my current GPA is how about this, I plan on applying to 11 of the 20 DO schools, (not applying to the others because of locations I don't want to raise my family in or my husband doens't want to go to) so if apply to 11 schools and say my GPA stays at a 2.94 and say I get a 27 on the MCAT, would I have a decent chance of getting into at least one school?

"As for blessed1, for the Fall 2003 application cycle, the avg. cumulative GPA was 3.36; this is directly off the AACOMAS website. PR is wrong. I remember buying their book - it is not very well constructed at all, but nowhere did I ever see 2.7-2.8 either. If you look at the MDapplicants.com website, you will also see that the statistics are somewhat skewed - the averages tend to be quite higher in comparison. I think you need to check your references a bit better next time."

LVDoc, why the defensiveness? Just stating what I saw in the book....
We can agree to disagree but no need to be defensive. You saw one thing, I saw another. Putting this to bed..... :rolleyes:

medmom said:
Rather than debate how bad my current GPA is how about this, I plan on applying to 11 of the 20 DO schools, (not applying to the others because of locations I don't want to raise my family in or my husband doens't want to go to) so if apply to 11 schools and say my GPA stays at a 2.94 and say I get a 27 on the MCAT, would I have a decent chance of getting into at least one school?

Medmom, I think the best way to have your question(s) answered is to get in contact with the schools of your interest and see what information and/or advice you can get from the admissions offices directly.

I wish you the best in your endeavors. :)

Medmom...
I don't know if anybody can really answer your question with much accuracy...The only thing I can suggest is to aim higher on your MCAT...Like 29-30. If you can do that or better you will be set even w/ that GPA. If you can do that I think you'll set yourself up in a much better place. And if you do apply and don't get in to any of those 11 schools, you can take a year, do some coursework and apply again, right? Not the end of the world. Good luck :)

blessed1 said:

Thoughtfully yours,
Blessed1

You'll want to read your book again. I've got the book sitting right here.