1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

GPA question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ATLATLATL, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    this is a fairly broad question i must say
    but wat i wanted to ask was wat is a pretty decent gpa for a fairly competitive school?
    do u think adcom looks at ones gpa more versus dat score? hmmmm i for one i'm not the best at standardized tests.....i tend to freak outtt:eek:
    but i was just wondering wat a more competitive gpa would be in ya'lls opinion?
    like a person who has a 3.1 vs a person who perhaps has a 3.9....if one scored a 19 on the dat(3.9) and the other scored a 21 (3.1)...how would that be perceived....like i sd it's a fairly broad question but help me out here...lol

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Dental Student
    ummmmm 3.9/19 takes the cake anyday.

just do the best you can do....log off SDN and do some serious studying. SDN is addicting and can be very counterproductive.

best of luck, jb!:)

4. infernobutterfl

infernobutterfl Pyro user
    7+ Year Member

the comparasion is a little off. it makes more sense comparing a 3.9 GPa with 19 dat to a 3.1 GPA with 25 DAT. But even that, the higher GPA has an advantage, I think.

I wish it weren't the case since I do have the lower GPA. :confused:

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero
    5+ Year Member

Dental Student
    i think the 3.9/19 has the advantage although it really depends on the school.

6. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    higher gpa will always have the advantage over a lower gpa because if a person has lower standardized scores it could attribute to a person being a bad test taker but if a person has a lower gpa then that attributes to a person not being hard working unless of course the person had extenuating circumstances and professional schools always give the person with a higher gpa the edge over someone with a lower gpa.

7. diane07

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    In answer to your first question . . .

Check out www.predents.com

To see some of the stats of those accepted

Of course people could exagerate their scores, but it will still give you an idea

8. ATLATLATL

2+ Year Member

Pre-Dental
    goodness after lookin at that i c that the trend for 2007 was definately towards 19's and 20s and 21's....gpa avg about 3.5-3.7...hmmmmm....interesting...thanks

9. danbarr

2+ Year Member

Non-Student
    tough question, the 3.99gpa(19 dat), if all he/she has just a high gpa, it won't help. I'm sure by now you know the committe looks at shadowing/work experience among other things in the candidate application, it can't just be about the GPA, but with that said, if both students have work experience , research,etc, probably the higher GPA will take it. I think anything above a 3.0 with a descent DAT score will get in somewhere. :D :D :D

10. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    keep in mind that predents.com represents a vary small minority of applicants, the creame of the crop if you will. there are only, what...200? 300? people who have posted scores, out of the ~12,000 that apply and ~4,000-5,000 that get in.

but yes, the entry stats are going up