SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

GPA question

Discussion in 'DAT Discussions' started by ATLATLATL, Apr 9, 2007.

1. ATLATLATL

ATLATLATL 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    this is a fairly broad question i must say
    but wat i wanted to ask was wat is a pretty decent gpa for a fairly competitive school?
    do u think adcom looks at ones gpa more versus dat score? hmmmm i for one i'm not the best at standardized tests.....i tend to freak outtt:eek:
    but i was just wondering wat a more competitive gpa would be in ya'lls opinion?
    like a person who has a 3.1 vs a person who perhaps has a 3.9....if one scored a 19 on the dat(3.9) and the other scored a 21 (3.1)...how would that be perceived....like i sd it's a fairly broad question but help me out here...lol

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. jackbauer!

jackbauer! Guest

Jul 2, 2006
    West of MLK
    ummmmm 3.9/19 takes the cake anyday.

just do the best you can do....log off SDN and do some serious studying. SDN is addicting and can be very counterproductive.

best of luck, jb!:)

4. infernobutterfl

infernobutterfl Pyro user 7+ Year Member

May 26, 2005
    the comparasion is a little off. it makes more sense comparing a 3.9 GPa with 19 dat to a 3.1 GPA with 25 DAT. But even that, the higher GPA has an advantage, I think.

I wish it weren't the case since I do have the lower GPA. :confused:

5. dmd2011

dmd2011 Random Hero 5+ Year Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Philadelphia, PA
    i think the 3.9/19 has the advantage although it really depends on the school.

6. BodybldgDoc

BodybldgDoc Guest

Jan 13, 2007
    In your closet
    higher gpa will always have the advantage over a lower gpa because if a person has lower standardized scores it could attribute to a person being a bad test taker but if a person has a lower gpa then that attributes to a person not being hard working unless of course the person had extenuating circumstances and professional schools always give the person with a higher gpa the edge over someone with a lower gpa.

7. diane07

diane07 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    In answer to your first question . . .

Check out www.predents.com

To see some of the stats of those accepted

Of course people could exagerate their scores, but it will still give you an idea

8. ATLATLATL

ATLATLATL 2+ Year Member

Jan 9, 2007
    goodness after lookin at that i c that the trend for 2007 was definately towards 19's and 20s and 21's....gpa avg about 3.5-3.7...hmmmmm....interesting...thanks

9. danbarr

danbarr 2+ Year Member

Sep 10, 2006
    NJ
    tough question, the 3.99gpa(19 dat), if all he/she has just a high gpa, it won't help. I'm sure by now you know the committe looks at shadowing/work experience among other things in the candidate application, it can't just be about the GPA, but with that said, if both students have work experience , research,etc, probably the higher GPA will take it. I think anything above a 3.0 with a descent DAT score will get in somewhere. :D :D :D

10. bruinpredent

bruinpredent UCLA School of Dentistry 7+ Year Member

Jul 11, 2006
    keep in mind that predents.com represents a vary small minority of applicants, the creame of the crop if you will. there are only, what...200? 300? people who have posted scores, out of the ~12,000 that apply and ~4,000-5,000 that get in.

but yes, the entry stats are going up