GPA question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Toejam

Terminal Student
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Someone just posted something about how AACOMAS calculates your GPA.

Is this right? I got 2 "F"s and 1 "D" about 20 years ago (seriously) in college, but retook them and got 3 "A"s. Are they going to ignore the less than stellar grades and only use the retaken grades when they calculate my GPA? How about the allopathic side??

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

that would be really great if someone could answer that or from what sources they found out how aacomas calculates gpa..

AACOMAS does replace any grades you got in classes that you retook. So getting an A in a class that you previously had an F in means that AACOMAS will throw the "F" out of your GPA and only include the A. However, the F will still show up in transcripts - in other words, the people interviewing you will know that you got an F at some point.

AMCAS doesn't do this. They will add the F and the A together into your GPA.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanx alot fenrezz...so this applies to as many classes or only one or 2 classes that we took over? is there a limit to that.

Oh I don't think there's a limit. I had a pretty bad academic record when I first started college, and I ended up retaking 7 classes, although all of them were at the community college level, and they were all replaced before I had dropped out of school.

Of course having to replace a lot of classes will hurt you, but there's no question DO schools are more forgiving than many MD schools. The main thing is to make sure you dont get any bad grades now. If you have bad grades, make sure they are in the past.

Originally posted by Fenrezz
Oh I don't think there's a limit. I had a pretty bad academic record when I first started college, and I ended up retaking 7 classes, although all of them were at the community college level, and they were all replaced before I had dropped out of school.

Fenrezz: Did you retake the classes at a community college or did you do poorly when you took them at the community college? Just wondering b/c I'm taking some of the prereqs at a local community college and I'm still nervous that adcoms will look unfavorably upon this. Just wondering! :)

I did poorly in the classes that I took at community college. I retook all those community college classes before I left the community college to tranfer into a regular university for my junior year.

I can't say for sure how the adcoms will look at you taking prereqs at the CC level. I took all my general chemistry in CC, but the rest of them I took at the university. There were so many other mitigating factors in my applications to med schools that there's no way for me to say one thing hurt me or helped me.

In then end, it depends on the adcoms. I think some adcoms won't care as much that you took some pre-reqs at a CC, some will. As long as other parts of your application are in good order and your creditials (GPA, MCAT, volunteering) are competitve, I really don't think it will hurt you at all.

I am in a boat somewhat similar to yours Fenrezz in that I had a horrible experience during my first attempt at College and ended up with about a 2.0 GPA.

I dropped out for about 10 years, returned and kicked ass. Unfortunately, I had so many credits from my first try that my GPA was only raised to about a 2.7. I made A's in all my Chem, Bio, Organic and Physics as well as my major courses.

Unfortunately, a number of my F's from previous years were in classes like Calculus, which I didn't retake. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to go back and take a series of calculus just to help my GPA out or should I concentrate on other things?

My MCAT was okay: 10VR, 9BS, 9PS, WS S, but I'm thinking of trying again in April.

Anybody have any ideas about if and how I might be considered for an interview at a DO school?:confused:

Originally posted by doctamon
I am in a boat somewhat similar to yours Fenrezz in that I had a horrible experience during my first attempt at College and ended up with about a 2.0 GPA.

I dropped out for about 10 years, returned and kicked ass. Unfortunately, I had so many credits from my first try that my GPA was only raised to about a 2.7. I made A's in all my Chem, Bio, Organic and Physics as well as my major courses.

Unfortunately, a number of my F's from previous years were in classes like Calculus, which I didn't retake. I'm wondering if it would be worthwhile to go back and take a series of calculus just to help my GPA out or should I concentrate on other things?

My MCAT was okay: 10VR, 9BS, 9PS, WS S, but I'm thinking of trying again in April.

Anybody have any ideas about if and how I might be considered for an interview at a DO school?:confused:

Yeah that sounds like what I had to go through. It's a tricky situation. The MCAT score is fine, but the GPA is on the low side for med schools. I'd like to think your recent performace means something, but I really don't know how closely the adcoms look at transcripts before deciding to give an interview. In other words, I don't know if they look at the bottom line GPA, or at the list of classes responsible for that GPA (and hence, the classes responsible for the increase in GPA). I was counting on that too when I applied, but the simple truth is that they have so many applications to look at. I came to the conclusion that they probably don't have time to comb through each application until after you get the interview.

I would apply with what you got, but in the meantime, you'll want to replace those F's. Even a couple of F's can strangle your GPA, as well as any D's and, if possible, C's too. Normally I wouldnt recommend to someone to replace C's but replacing lower grades spikes your GPA up more so than just adding additional A's to your transcripts. That way you can increase GPA faster and get more bang for your buck. Do whatever you can to get the overall number (and especially science GPA) as close to, or over, 3.0.

Your MCAT score is good, though. I personally know people who've been accepted to MD schools with less so you're in the range of DO schools. Shadow a DO and get a strong letter of recommendation, and make sure to do plenty of health related volunteer time. One thing I'll say about DO schools, and this is my opinion, but they definetely put stock in older students with life experience, over just accepting a person with just statistical numbers, more so than MD schools do.

If worse comes to worse, and you don't get in, you can reapply next year, with stronger numbers and the preception of dedication to going to D.O. school.

First and foremost, though, get rid of those F's.

Doctamon

Do not retake the MCAT in April unless you have applied to all 20 DO schools and they all reject you. Your score is very good, good enough to get into an MD school and most school only look at the last score taken, what happens if you score goes down??? As for your GPA, almost all of the DO schools, except TUCOM, will take your application for review based on your over gpa. Just look up the MINIMUM requirements for each school and you should get plenty of secondary requests. Make sure to include a reference in your statements about how much you improved your grades that will cause them to actually take a deeper look at your gpa. AND YES, the 10 years between grades makes a difference. From Dean of Admin at UCSF "we are only interested in what you've done in the past five years." I too had terrible grades 11 years ago and now have good grades in my science coursework. My post-bacc grades were the ones that were taken into consideration ONCE I made it thru any pre-screening.

Also, try applying and if you get a rejection letter, write a letter of petition asking the school to reconsider! Make sure to point out in your letter what your gpa has been in the last two years!! This shows IMPROVEMENT and I was told by two different dean's that they do look for improvement when an overall gpa may be low. People don't know that they can do this and sometimes it REALLY helps. A friend of mine got a rejection from Stanford after the primary application. She wrote a letter of petition, it was granted and they gave her a secondary!

i gotta question for anyone from kcom. what is the average GPA for incoming students, or what is the lowest they accept? I'm taking the mcat in august and up until this semester my overall gpa was 3.3. But i've kinda messed up some this semester and am not doing so hot anymore. i live in kansas city and am wanting to apply to kcom. if anyone has some advice for me or answers about this gpa thing, i'd appreciate it. thanks
selah+pissed+

Originally posted by Toejam
Someone just posted something about how AACOMAS calculates your GPA.

Is this right? I got 2 "F"s and 1 "D" about 20 years ago (seriously) in college, but retook them and got 3 "A"s. Are they going to ignore the less than stellar grades and only use the retaken grades when they calculate my GPA? How about the allopathic side??

thanks

It's good to see another non-trad. I personally think it's too long ago, but I'm not on the Adcom either.