GPA Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Nerd18

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just have a question to all those who applied and those applying soon.

I recently graduated university in a science field and my GPA is a 3.63. I also got offered to do a Masters of Science at the same institution.

My dilemma is as follows; I fear that my current GPA is not good enough to get into a dental school even with decent DAT scores (ie 20+). I am debating if I should take the masters program and apply after i have finished it or take the year off write the DAT in November and apply then?

What do you guys think of my GPA? What advice do you have for me ?

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

I think your GPA is very solid to apply this year. Especially if you could score 20+s on the DAT and apply within the next two weeks or so.

Good luck applying!

The DAT in November is a bit late. If you could take it within the next couple months and get 18+ I'd say you have a real shot if you apply to 12+ schools. Just study for the DAT over the next couplemonths and you won't have to do the Masters thing. (Unless you want to)

Members don't see this ad :)
Depends a lot on where you got the 3.63.

Top 10 or 15 school - you're in outstanding shape.

wow since when is a 3.63 from assuming a good school and decent DATs a concern?

Hahahaha sorry guys, I just over analyze any situation im in way to much.

Im from Ontario Canada, so the DAT is only offered twice yearly (Nov. and Feb.) . The university from which I graduated from was McMaster.

I mean dont get me wrong Im sure the MSc will help in admission and thats the only real reason im considering it, because I feel my GPA will stain my good DAT scores.

Am I way off?

HA i had the OP pegged as a fellow Canadian before i even scrolled down to where it was actually mentioned. Looking at the ADEA book, I think you should be fine.

(For you americans, a 3.63 aint that solid of a GPA to get into Canadian Dental schools....eg. I have a 3.5cGPA, 22AA, 22PAT, 30RC, and an awesome set of EC's and didnt even get interviewed at the 5 schools I applied to. One school even said they require a minimum 3.85GPA to get considered for an inty if youre out of province...)

sorry for the rant. to the OP, i say apply and write the DAT in nov

Good thing you're Canadian....I was with Matty in the corner, sobbing over my 3.3

One school even said they require a minimum 3.85GPA to get considered for an inty if youre out of province...

I think this can be attributed to grade inflation at the undergrad schools, not necessarily geniuses applying for dental school.

Not to offend any Canadiens, but this is the same reason why the average GPA of high schoolers getting into colleges in America is rising steadily every year. It's the same percentage of the graduating class it's always been, but the GPA keeps rising. There's only one explanation.

I agree re: the grade inflation.

And another comment: it is absolutely crazy that some schools are calling anything above 90 an A+ (for AADSAS conversion). At my school you need a 98-100 to get an A+, and most profs still wouldn't give one out; a 90 is an A-. For some students to be getting an AADSAS 4.3 and others to get a 3.7 for the same grade of 90 is ridiculous.

I got in for Fall '08 with a 3.49 gpa (Arizona State) and 17 DAT. It's not all about the grades and DAT. I don't think this is the norm, however. When I interviewed at CASE they basically told me that I needed a higher GPA (3.7 and above, but 3.9 would be best). Thanks for wasting my time, CASE.

If you look at Canadian stats because they have fewer schools, the stats are VERY high. To OP: If you want to go to school in the states you would be fine...(slight issue maybe with being international) but Canada? Seems their averages are a bit above your very good average. That is though just an average afterall, so half are below that. You would probably get in somewhere but you also probably know Canadian schools better than most of us do. I'd call the schools you are interested and ask what they think before the application process gets too far. Good luck!

I think this can be attributed to grade inflation at the undergrad schools, not necessarily geniuses applying for dental school.

Not to offend any Canadiens, but this is the same reason why the average GPA of high schoolers getting into colleges in America is rising steadily every year. It's the same percentage of the graduating class it's always been, but the GPA keeps rising. There's only one explanation.

one explanation? how about competition? there are only 8 english speaking canadian dental schools with class sizes that are way less than those of american schools. trust me, it's NOT grade inflation. when you compare medical school entrance GPAs of both canadian and american medical schools, the GPAs are similar, with the canadian ones being a bit higher. but when you compare american and canadian dental schools, there is a big difference.