GPA reinvention

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eroh27

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I recently graduated with an Associate's degree and currently working on my Bachelor's degree. Eventually want to apply to med school, as a DO. I want to start off by saying I did horribly in my first few years of college. Actually, to get my Bachelor's degree, I would be in college for about six years. In my first 60, some semester hours of college, my GPA was around 2.25. Since those first two years of college, I buckled down and really put in hard work to get better grades. I received a 3.45 GPA for my associate's degree. Combined that that with the courses I have retaken my last 99 semester hours is a 3.45 GPA. I still have one more year and 27 credits to take until I apply to a Post-Bacc program. I am speculating here, but if I can get all A's as I have been my last few semesters, I could have a 3.57 GPA in my last 126 semester hours, which is more than a typical Bachelors's degree worth of classes. The issue is if I add my first 60 some semester hours when I first went to college, my overall GPA would be a 3.12.

As for prerequisites, I have taken Bio 1 & 2 and Chem 1. I received a B+ in Bio 1 and an A- in Bio 2. I had to retake Chem 1, but I got a B+ the second time around. I can do even better in future prerequisites as I continue to learn how to study smartly. For extracurricular activities, I just got a job that is not in the medical field since my profession is not hiring at the moment due to the virus. I also have 20 hours of community service and plan on adding to that number.
Would my trend of raising my GPA enough to get into a Post-Bacc program, or would my first two years of college hold me back? Please suggest any programs (from Pa) and willing to go out of state, or any advice/ criticism. Thank you all for reading!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: