GPA trends

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

marbou3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So far my GPA is a 4.0 (2 years). I started thinking....the bad thing about this is that there is nowhere to go but down. So if there is any trend in my GPA after graduation it is most likely to be down, not up. I know medical schools like to look at GPA trends. If you have a 4.0 the first 2 years and say a 3.75 the last two years, is that considered a downward trend. Obviously it is a DOWNWARD trend, but will admissions view it that manner? If you say no, then what would you say is critical GPA value that would correspond to a downward trend? Or do they not care either way because your GPA would still be around 3.88? Sorry if this is a useless question.

Thanks for help

Members don't see this ad.

No, you are fine! I would say a downward thread would be something like 4.0 -> 4.0 -> 3.1 -> 3.0.

So far my GPA is a 4.0 (2 years). I started thinking....the bad thing about this is that there is nowhere to go but down. So if there is any trend in my GPA after graduation it is most likely to be down, not up. I know medical schools like to look at GPA trends. If you have a 4.0 the first 2 years and say a 3.75 the last two years, is that considered a downward trend. Obviously it is a DOWNWARD trend, but will admissions view it that manner? If you say no, then what would you say is critical GPA value that would correspond to a downward trend? Or do they not care either way because your GPA would still be around 3.88? Sorry if this is a useless question.

Thanks for help
Trends are most important for borderline candidates. For those who's GPAs are too low, or are plenty high, it won't matter much. Hypothetically, if you were to get a 3.75 the last two years, your GPA would still average around 3.85 or so. This is still above average and the downward trend would be mostly insignificant to your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry if this is a useless question.

Apology accepted. You damn well know the answer to this question.

A downward trend needs to be a siginificant one for it to be important. Starting out 3.8...then a 3.5 the next semester...then a 3.3...then a 2.9 for a cumulative 3.3 GPA--that would look bad. You're a neurotic idiot if you think dropping from a 4.0 to a 3.8 might be considered a "negative downward trend."

Upward trends are much more important as far as analyzing trends goes anyway. And GPA trends as a whole are overrated.

I'll also strike a little fear into you--that whole "3.5 GPA and you're good!" business is getting more competitive over these last few years...I do not want to start getting into an argument over this issue on this thread--but often times a 3.5 at a given small university is not as impressive as a 3.5 at a great one. Excellent work on your 4.0--but keep up that GPA--because a 3.70 at a less prestigious type school might be more expected from an admissions committee than a 3.7 at a renowned school.

That said, obviously a 4.0 and 3.8 are always good numbers...no matter where you came from--good luck.

Trends for the most part only apply to those who may be at, or below, the average GPA for admittance.

For anyone with a 3.6-3.7+, trend likely won't be looked at, and you should be fine.

However, for those in the 3.3-3.5 range, an upward trend in grades can look very good.