Gpa Vs. Dat

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Shark007

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
A pre-dental student I met had a undergrad GPA of 3.2 with a DAT score of 22/20. I have a 3.7 GPA with a DAT of 17/17. I said I would rather have his stats, while he said he would rather have mine. Does anyone know which one a dental school is more likely to see as being more important.
Is a score of seventeen on the DAT too low to get into dental school. If I tried to retake it, it would be in December. I am applying to UNLV and Arizona only, because
A. I am a Nevada resident
B. Usually newer schools will accept students with lower DAT scores.

Any thoughts, suggestions...

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a great shot at both of those schools. Many schools have averages around 18's and 19's, so there MUST be a good number of people with 17's admited, wouldn't you think?

As for GPA vs. DAT, eash school has thier own formula for weighing those along with other things in your application, so I couldn't tell you which is more important. The DAT, however, serves as common ground for all dental applicants to be compared against each other.

Best of luck, I am sure you will get in to one of those schools!

Carmel

Originally posted by Shark007
A pre-dental student I met had a undergrad GPA of 3.2 with a DAT score of 22/20. I have a 3.7 GPA with a DAT of 17/17. I said I would rather have his stats, while he said he would rather have mine

I'm assuming that you haven't gotten below a 16 on any part of the DAT. I'd say, hold onto your stats and tell him you don't want his.

Some respectable dental schools offer interviews to applicants with high gpas, prior to receiving their DAT scores.

However, this never works the other way around.