GPA vs DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WayneSU

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know that most schools weigh the DAT heavily, even more than the your GPA. But I was wondering, which schools do you think put a lot more emphasis on GPA than on DAT?

Members don't see this ad.

I know that most schools weigh the DAT heavily, even more than the your GPA. But I was wondering, which schools do you think put a lot more emphasis on GPA than on DAT?

If you have a high gpa then schools naturally expect a good DAT score. I don't think anyone would be 100% sure of which schools put more emphasis on one over the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Indiana and OHSU have high emphasis on GPA

Mind you you still have to do OK on the DAT

It seems to me that accross the board, state schools have a higher average GPA and private schools have a higher average DAT.

pacific rejected my 24AA. Any my GPA isn't terribly low (~3.4). anyway, I think upenn likes people with ridiculously high GPA.

pacific rejected my 24AA. Any my GPA isn't terribly low (~3.4). anyway, I think upenn likes people with ridiculously high GPA.

You didn't even get an interview from UoP? Then, maybe you applied late in the cycle?

Hey, same here. I actually really wanted to go there as well. I guess life can't always go the way we wanted. It's an awesome school nonetheless though.

I am going to a school that is relatively cheap. I constantly hear from dental town from dentist that if they had to do it over again they would pick a less spendy school. I think Buffalo looks at a well balanced app strong GPA and solid DAT. I think Tufts does that too. Harvard pretty much demands perfection high GPA and high DAT.

Oh man, I really want to stay in California. After reading your posts, I realize there is some possibility that I may have to leave. :(

What the **** are adcom people looking for... :confused:

Oh man, I really want to stay in California. After reading your posts, I realize there is some possibility that I may have to leave. :(

What the **** are adcom people looking for... :confused:

I feel for you. 99% chance I am leaving Cali, I don't mind anymore though.
You will get over it. :cool:

I feel for you. 99% chance I am leaving Cali, I don't mind anymore though.
You will get over it. :cool:

Now I know why people around me said getting into UoP isn't easy despite their low average stat.

An average AA of 21 is low?

My mistake. I meant GPA only.

Anyways, what do you think the difference is between you and others' with high DAT score, but didn't even get an interview? (I know you have 25 and they have 24.:p)

My mistake. I meant GPA only.

Anyways, what do you think the difference is between you and others' with high DAT score, but didn't even get an interview? (I know you have 25 and they have 24.:p)

Timeline most likely, possibly EC's or something in the personal statement. I'm definitely not well connected.

I did not even get an interview, i was straight out rejected by uop. I applied early july so it wasnt so late. i also had a solid list of ecs. maybe it was my personal statement. anyway, getting into any california school is tough these days.

Oh I just remembered something uop once said. they once said that they have certain number of students they accept from each school. so if you are from ucla, you are kinda competing with other ucla students applying to uop. so thats maybe the reason although i think it's ridiculous for them to do taht.

I did not even get an interview, i was straight out rejected by uop. I applied early july so it wasnt so late. i also had a solid list of ecs. maybe it was my personal statement. anyway, getting into any california school is tough these days.

Oh I just remembered something uop once said. they once said that they have certain number of students they accept from each school. so if you are from ucla, you are kinda competing with other ucla students applying to uop. so thats maybe the reason although i think it's ridiculous for them to do taht.

Could have been the PS, I know they don't have quotas or anything like that (Except from UoP undergrad). Seems to me, however weird it may be, that you may have been one of those rare glitches that got lost or confused in the system. Somebody throws James Mayer into the reject pile instead of James Meyer kind of thing.

During my interview, I was told that Pacific adcom considers every single detail in the application to evaluate an applicant. I felt like they were looking for people with certain characteristics (even though I am not really sure what those are..)