GPA waiver possible?

Started by starrsgirl
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

starrsgirl

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was hoping someone could help point me in the right direction....I have "heard" of people doing this, but so far it's been a friend of a friend type of thing and no real information.

My situation is this....one school I have applied to requires a 2.9 cumulative GPA, 2.9 pre req GPA and a 2.9 math/science GPA. I meet the first 2 easily. I am a non traditional student who had a low undergrad GPA from a long time ago but have since retaken everything with straight As. Unfortunately, I am still not even close to the math/science GPA requirement (I had a few failures in my first 2 years and because I was pre med at the time, they were science courses)

I think I am a fairly competitive applicant this year...all pre Reqs are done. I have already received interview offers to other schools. But I would really really like to get into this school. My plan was to just take a billion random low level science classes online in the next semester. But 1) it's pricey 2) I will have to stop working to do it 3) they would all be classes where I have already taken a higher level and they don't apply to PT (think environmental bio, basic math) 4) this is the only school I am having issues with on entrance requirements

Can I ask a school to waive the requirement? Anyone ever heard of that? Who would I even ask? Do I have a decent reason?
 
I have not heard of a school waiving a requirement just to waive it, BUT that doesn't mean that they might. Have you tried emailing the school and asking them directly, although doing that you may get a generic answer saying that there are a lot of applicants and that all requirements must be met in order for your file to be reviewed and competitive. I emailed a school where my GRE was just short of their requirement and the lady told me to apply because they look at the whole application and not just the numbers and I received an interview from them (just waiting now to hear about acceptance/rejection). So in my opinion I would email the school and see what they say, you never know!