GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zdental

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately,

I really messed up in my GPA the first year and half, and have now been trying for the last 2 1/2 years to build it back up. I currently have a 2.9 overall and a 2.95 science. Also, I have not taken the DAT yet but plan on taking it in two months. Should I not apply this june and wait for my scores to get better or apply?

Members don't see this ad.

zdental,

Your current GPA scores are not largely competative as they stand (but you already knew that). You mentioned that you have been trying for the past couple of years to bring your GPA up -- how much has it increased from your lowest semesters to the current semesters? Although a 2.9 is *not* going to do a whole lot of good for you in the application process, an initial 1.3 GPA which has been raised to an over 2.9 by you achieving constant 3.4-3.8 marks over the past several semesters *will* help you greatly in the application process.

What is your grade trend? When considering whether or not to apply, in your situation, I think the GPA trend must be taken into consideration. If you can point out (through personal essay, interviews, etc.) that your GPA over the past 40 or 60 hours has been a 3.7, then I wouldn't hesitate applying with an overall 2.9 average. If, by chance, your GPA was initially a 2.6 and you have raised it to a 2.9, I would suggest applying yourself for another couple semesters of coursework.

You also mentioned that you'll be taking the DAT in March. Don't underestimate the importance of this. If your GPA trend is towards much better grades, then a good DAT score can really solidify you as a good candidate.

Also, don't forget to take into account your service experiences, volunteering, research, family situation, etc. The application process is about marketing the "well-rounded candidate". When a consumer product has a low point, advertisements focus on the good points. Your bad GPA for the first 3 semesters can be wiped away by marketing your current grade trend, superb DAT, and extras.

Sorry for being long-winded. I'm applying this year also, so I know how much this means to you. Good luck!

Thanks a lot,

And actually yes I have had the improvement. I began with a 2.2 and have maintained a 3.4 for a while. So that makes me feel a lot better. Take care and good luck