1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Gpa

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by SloppyJoe, Aug 25, 2002.

1. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I was looking at the AADSAS website for gpa calculation, and it seems that they don't figure in the pluses and the minuses? ie. A- or C+,..........is this the case?

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    that sheet in the ADEA.ORG website is wack. They do count +/- grades. However, if you go to a school like mine (university of washington) we use a point scale system. For example, we will not get an A on our transcript, but a number like 3.8, 3.9, 4.0. So we have to use another sheet given to us by our dental club to convert it (e.g. a 3.7 will equal a A- (or 3.667) and a 3.8=A (4.0) or a 3.4 will equal a B- (3.33)) So as you can see it may help us or hurt us, but luckily it helped me. :p

I hope this helps. Don't focus on that grid that is the most screwed up thing. I was so confused after trying to figure that out.

Also, I would recommend making an EXCEL spread sheet and keeping upto date with your grades.

BCP = bio, chem, physics

Science =BCP +other

Overall

Non-science

This way you will be on top and know how you are doing before getting AADSAS to do it.

DesiDentist

4. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

thanks desi! always helpful........I am not applying for a couple of years, but i am already sweatin' the details. looks like it's gonna hurt me.......keep getting those A-s.. :(

5. DesiDentist

DesiDentist G. S. Khurana, DMD, MBA
    Moderator Emeritus Exhibitor 10+ Year Member

Dentist
    no prob sloppy joe,

make sure you make that excel sheet, that way you will know what to get next quarter and how that will help you. I did that and honestly I think that is why my gpa went on an exponential curve the last two years.

I remember I was around 3.4 range and desperately needed to hit 3.5 and I just typed how many 4.0's i needed to hit 3.5. So last summer I took 35 credits to bump my gpa. It could be a lifesaver.

When you have a ton of credits it gets extremely hard to bump up your gpa.

Good luck,

DesiDentist

6. SloppyJoe

SloppyJoe Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

the way i figure it is that i have to get straight a's for the rest of my academic career to get into dental school..........