Gpa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackD

-
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
After getting my grades from this semester, i attempted to predict my GPA when applying for graduate school. I want to apply for a non-terminating, professional school masters program. I figure i will have a 3.4 GPA (at the end of my senior year, i figure it will be about a 3.45) with a 4.0 in psychology courses and a 3.8 gpa for my junior/senior year. Just pushing all of the other factors out of the way (LOR, clinical experience, etc.) and the GPA thing look good enough?

Members don't see this ad.

do you mean a PhD program? I don't get - what's a non-terminating masters program?

i think non-terminal degrees are ones intended to continue on to further grad study...

my degree, msw, is terminal b/c it can be used as a stand alone degree and is most often used that way...

op, your gpa looks great, it is FAR higher than my GPA and I did just fine with apps...

good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
3.4 is a fine gpa to have when applying to research-focused PhD programs. Mine was slightly lower and I did well. You'll be fine.

3.4 is a fine gpa to have when applying to research-focused PhD programs. Mine was slightly lower and I did well. You'll be fine.

Agreed, mine was lower and I got into 4 fully funded non-clinical psych programs. Granted I worked my butt off to make the rest of my application stand out, but your GPA alone certainly won't hold you back.

I think you'll also want to make sure you do well on the GRE. A decent GPA (yours) plus good GRE scores and good application packet can make you a very appealing candidate indeed.

your gpa looks good. I get sick and tired of reading about people who are worried about their 3.99 gpas being too low...mannnn are they just trying to show off or what?
:boom:

see... you are gonna be ok. the 3.8 the last 2 years is very impressive.

my problem was that my last 2 years gpa is reallllllly low bc my last semester bombed (3 c's, 2 b's and one f) ick

good luck and keep us posted

Really? I wouldn't think so by looking at my current university. The average, for all of their psyc programs togeather, is like a 3.85 GPA and they have about a 6% acceptance rate for all graduate psychology programs. And the psychology graduate school isn't even supposed to be all that great. Something like a 60% APPIC match rate and virtually non-existent APA internship acceptance.

Perhaps my current school is just bizarre and i shouldn't make judgments on the competitive nature of psychology grad programs based on that?

...The average, for all of their psyc programs togeather, is like a 3.85 GPA...

Remember the thread from the other forum? Means without SD aren't interpretable ;)

Remember the thread from the other forum? Means without SD aren't interpretable

Not really. I lost most of what i learned in research methods after this last week of binge drinking. Here's to lost memories.

Really? I wouldn't think so by looking at my current university. The average, for all of their psyc programs togeather, is like a 3.85 GPA and they have about a 6% acceptance rate for all graduate psychology programs. And the psychology graduate school isn't even supposed to be all that great. Something like a 60% APPIC match rate and virtually non-existent APA internship acceptance.

Perhaps my current school is just bizarre and i shouldn't make judgments on the competitive nature of psychology grad programs based on that?

As I am familiar with the school of which you speak, I beg to differ about APA acceptance rates since an APA internship is required for graduation in the clinical psych dept.

EDITed to add: Nevermind, I see that you are quoting a 60% acceptance which is for one year alone--92%, 100%, 100%, 83%, 100%, 60%, & 78% were the APPIC acceptance rates (on match day, with the remainder typically being accepted afterwards) for the last several years (excluding this year's data), with APA accredited site acceptance rates reflecting 83%, 100%, 100%, 100%, 60%, & 89%.

I typically refrain from responding to your posts, however, I once again remind you that you have no idea who (including faculty) is frequenting this site. Before you start criticizing your university, perhaps you should verify that you are in impeccable condition. People are usually not as anonymous as they believe and this CAN bite you in the arse.