GPAs calculated, application going out next batch! Chance my DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

willwash

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
OP Edit: DAT Complete!

PAT 23 QR 20 RC 28 BIO 19 GC 23 OC 21 TS 20 AA 22

I am an undergrad alum at UNC, plus my military service...any shot whatsoever at UNC?

BCP 3.88
Science 3.65
Non-science 3.50
Overall 3.54

9 years Navy service (applying from active duty hoping for HSCP/HPSP) and generally pretty awesome softs, but low shadowing hours ~ 50 and no, I can't get more shadowing in for let's just say legitimate reasons which are expounded upon in my AADSAS statement.

I'm taking the DAT on the 27th. Minimum score to be comfortably in interview territory for: ?

OSU in-state
UF in-state
UNC out of state
VCU (I know I'm short of their shadowing mins but they are recommended not required)

Those are the only schools on my application right now; is it possible to go back and apply to more if the DAT doesn't go so well?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes you can add more schools after submitting. I'd say aim for at least a 20, which is about the average for most schools.
Also, I don't think you can claim in-state for 2 states. AADSAS makes you pick one.
Good luck!!

There are ways around that for active duty military depending on state law. What's on my AADSAS isn't necessarily the end all, be all.

I'm a Florida resident on my LES, but I am currently on active duty stationed in Ohio.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you have other dental related volunteer work?

Schools typically have to give military applicants' applications a closer look due to numerous factors. AADSAS makes you designate your primary state of residence, but many military service members can prove residency in numerous states depending on school residency policies.
Interesting. You learn something new every day. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Not really. The issue with the shadowing is that I have a full time job and I am moonlighting my prerequisites via post-bacc on top of that and have 4 children to care for and a wife who works and is in school on top of *that*. I've squeezed in as much shadowing as reasonably possible given the considerable demands on my time. The interest and the passion are there, but the time is not, though it will be once I am freed to pursue my interest in dentistry full-time.

That's the gist of how I attacked it in my PS. If that's not good enough I know I can apply again next year but low shadowing hours seems a rather silly reason to turn me away so long as my other stats are good, which so far they are, with one more big wildcard still outstanding.

low shadowing hours ~ 50 and no, I can't get more shadowing in for let's just say legitimate reasons which are expounded upon in my AADSAS statement.

Legitimate reason or not, this is going to be a problem for your application. Outside of that there's not much to be said until you get a DAT score. For the 2014 cycle, VCU enrolled 29 students out of 1,690 applicants OOS. UNC enrolled 13 out of 1,283 applicants. Both are extremely competitive OOS so you'd need to do really well on the DAT to stand out academically and I'm not sure that alone will offset your minimal shadowing. Good luck!

wow. well good luck. most schools recommend around 100 and there are a few schools that have a required number of hours. aim for 30, of course, but if you land in the 20's that would give you the best chance i would assume with your high gpa.
i would maybe rule out unc, they don't accept that many OOS.
if you're a FL resident add nova and lecom.

I don't think 50 hours is that minimal. It's not ideal but it could be worse. It's not like he only has 3 hours.

Reactions: 2 users
Schools include shadowing hours as part of their requirements to ensure they receive applicants who are serious about pursuing dentistry. This is where pre-dentals find out if they can handle working with people, insurance, and/or blood, etc.

50 hours is not minimum. Most schools may "require" more, but they're not going to throw out a strong applicant simply because he/she doesn't have a boat load of shadowing hours. They'll review the ENTIRE application and offer an interview if they're convinced the applicant is serious about dentistry and likely to complete the strenuous program.

As a non-traditional applicant with 9 years active duty service, OP carries with him much maturity and life experience. He's likely not making the decision to pursue dentistry on a whim, and can likely handle more stress than the average joe. To suggest he will be limited by his shadowing hours is pure nonsense.

Military service is not a substitute for exposure to dentistry. Implying otherwise is pure nonsense. The assumptions you make because you were also a member of the military and want to look favorably on another person that served are not necessarily objective, accurate, or helpful. You may want him to be just fine as an applicant because he was in the military and it will make you feel better about the strength of your application since you were too - but that is not necessarily the case.

Bump! Tonight's been a good night! Took the DAT and lightened my load for the rest of the summer!

PAT: 21
QR: 20
RC: 28 (This was waaaaaay easier than the LSAT's RC)
BIO: 19
GC: 23
OC: 21
TS: 20
AA: 22

Looks like I'm going to dental school...don't know where, but surely somewhere!

Reactions: 4 users
@karanja , @PlasmaMembrane: I think you both made legitimate points. My take on it: Mil service doesn't substitute for dental shadowing time. While 50 hours isn't ideal, I also would be surprised if this screened the OP out of many schools (unless they specify min hours > 50). The discussions on this specific topic with adcoms at 3 schools seems to support this assessment, but again, it's my personal take. I do think we can all agree that adcoms assess maturity and wisdom in their applicants, and I would be willing to go out on a limb and argue that a lot (not all) of your mil service applicants have this piece nailed down.
OP: I'm currently AD (about 6 years), and applying this cycle. Regarding VCU specifically, I spoke with them about my background and the constraints it placed on me getting to 150 shadowing hours. As you said, they state it is "highly recommended". Both admissions employees I spoke with said that while falling short of the number wasn't a deal breaker, it was a pretty important issue. I'm applying to VCU as well with about 65 hours shadowing, but I would recommend casting a wider net if you can manage it. Since you're planning on HPSP, I'd imagine the cost of attendance takes a backseat to getting into a school this cycle. PM me if you'd like to discuss anything further. And good luck!

Edit: WRT to residency piece, recommend you always verify that a school considers you in-state, regardless of your current duty station/LES status. Personal example: I'm a NV resident, but stationed in GA. GRU and UNLV both consider me OOS for admissions purposes, because I claim NV residency, but have not been stationed in NV.

Reactions: 1 users