GPA's, GRE's, XTRA's, ACCEPTANCES

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Honestly pretty late, like December 15 or sometime around then. But it said they are conducting interviews until March so there's still a lot of time!
I applied and my check was cashed mid November seems odd that they would not respond by now when others have. I will just keep waiting. congratulations on your interview

Members don't see this ad.

Hello OT friends,
It's 1/05/2016, and my OTCAS isn't verified yet...should I be worried? Do you think my chances of getting in the program is slim?

Members don't see this ad :)
University: University of Florida
Major/Minor: B.A. Political Science (cum laude)
Undergrad GPA: 3.67
Pre-req GPA: 3.7-3.8
GRE: 153 V 147 Q 4.5 AW
Observation Hours: 24 inpatient at a hospital ICU, 120 at an outpatient Rehabilitation/hand therapy clinic, 34 both inpatient/outpatient hospital (Inpatient dealt with post op, oncology etc), ~25 hours in a nursing facility (geriatrics), ~20 hours in a Rehabilitation hospital
220+ hours total

Volunteer: Homeless shelter, ICYE volunteer aborad in a children's community center, Literacy council tutor, Food bank kitchens, Circle K Kiwanis, Greek philanthropies (Girl Scouts of America etc)
Work experience: OT Aide at Outpatient Rehab, Citizenship Test Tutor, Intern at a US Congressional Office, Legal intern at a Law Firm, various other restaraunt jobs all throughout college
Other extracurriculars: Division III Cross Country/Track, Sorority Sister, Honor Society Inductee, Triathlon team, College Dem political club, Political Phone banks
Awards: Midwest All Conference Academic Team, Certificate of Congressional recognition, Dean's List and/or President's list at each college I attended, graduated with honors

Schools Applied to:
Nova Southeastern University, Midwestern (Glendale AZ), Chatham U, University of Florida, East Carolina U, Phildelphia U, Tennessee State, Carroll University, Davenport U, Springfield College, Winston Salem State U, U Alabama Birmingham, U Central Arkansas, Milligan College, Towson U

Interviews: Milligan College (2/7), Nova Southeastern (10/12) Midwestern U (Arizona) (1/21) Chatham U (11/19)
Acceptances so far: Nova Southeastern!! :clap:
Have you heard back about an interview for East Carolina? I have a recorded interview and was looking for details on how to prepare! Good luck!!

When did you send in your application?
I sent in the application 12/5
OTCAS seen it as complete 1/5
and now I'm waiting for verification.....:(

One of the schools I applied for has their application due on 1/16:unsure:

I sent in the application 12/5
OTCAS seen it as complete 1/5
and now I'm waiting for verification.....:(

One of the schools I applied for has their application due on 1/16:unsure:

I would contact OTCAS asap!

Reactions: 1 user
I would contact OTCAS asap!
How coincidental!?!
They just emailed me literally one minute ago, and said it's verified! Took only 1 day :) They said in 1 hour my GPA will be up on my OTCAS.

Anyways I'll post my stats to get an honest opinion from you guys!! I'm still a senior in college (graduating in spring 2017 semester) if I don't get in this cycle, I don't mind waiting until next cycle; I just want to see if I get in, doesn't hurt to try :clap:

Is anyone still waiting on AT Still or Midwestern? I still have not heard back from them. Do they contact you if you get rejected because this feels like implied rejection :laugh:

When did you apply?
I sent in the secondary application for AT Still and they deemed it complete on the 10th of October. I sent the secondary application for midwestern and they deemed it complete on the 11th of November. I haven't heard anything since. And I've called both schools and my application is still in the review stage.

I sent in the secondary application for AT Still and they deemed it complete on the 10th of October. I sent the secondary application for midwestern and they deemed it complete on the 11th of November. I haven't heard anything since. And I've called both schools and my application is still in the review stage.
I don't know about Midwestern because my application was complete the first week of October (I ended up declining the interview), but my AT Still application was complete 10/3 and I interviewed 12/9.

Was anyone accepted to Shenandoah and going to turn down their offer?

hey, i know you werent asking me but i also interviewed at rush on 12/16 and i heard back on 12/23. they said that people can find out at any point over the course of these next few months, though
Hi, just wondering - did they let you know via email or another way?

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone applied to Governors State University? I haven't heard much about it on this thread. I've been put on the waitlist and was wondering if anyone that was accepted is declining the offer.

UPDATE:
University: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.4 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.7 depending on school
GRE:
158 Verbal
153 Quantitative (previously 148)
5.0 Writing (previously 3.5)

Extra-Curric: Internship early intervention preschool, various positions in a national sorority including Executive board, Out of State student mentor, English Pals, Emerging Leaders, Various academic awards and a Merit scholarship

Volunteer: 20 Hospital NICU/PICU, 90 Early intervention preschool

Applied : Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NYU, LIU Brooklyn, Touro Bay Shore, Rush University, SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: *twiddles thumbs*
Rejections: Stony Brook 12/15
Interviews: Stony Brook 11/19, Rush 1/27th
:claps:Super excited about hearing back from Rush. I'm not certain I want to move off the east coast, but from what I'm hearing it is a great program and competitive so hopefully I'll start hearing back from my other schools soon!

Update :)

University:
The University of Alabama
Major: Psychology (minor in Human Development and Family Studies)
Overall GPA: 3.73
GRE: 157 qualitative, 151 quantitative, 4.5 writing

Extra-Curricular/Volunteer: college drumline member, elementary student mentor, summer camp director, hospital volunteer, undergraduate research assistant
Shadowing: 33 hours general sports medicine PT, 34 hours pediatric OT outpatient clinic, 35 hours geriatric OT

Applied: Augusta, Belmont, Wash U (MSOT), Mary Baldwin, and UAB
Interviews: Augusta, Belmont, UAB (declined)
Acceptances: Augusta, Wash U, Belmont

Last edited:
University: The University of Alabama
Major: Psychology (minor in Human Development and Family Studies)
Overall GPA: 3.73
GRE: 157 qualitative, 151 quantitative, 4.5 writing

Extra-Curricular/Volunteer: college drumline member, elementary student mentor, summer camp director, hospital volunteer, undergraduate research assistant
Shadowing: 33 hours general sports medicine PT, 34 hours pediatric outpatient clinic, 35 hours geriatric

Applied: Augusta, Belmont, WashU (MSOT), Mary Baldwin, and UAB
Interviews: Augusta, Belmont
Acceptances: Augusta, Belmont, Wash U

• I think I've narrowed it down to WashU and Belmont, but now I don't know what to do! Belmont is OTD while I was accepted to the MSOT program at WashU. Belmont is WAY more expensive, but I loved the campus and Nashville, and it's closer to home. It would only take one more semester at Belmont to get my OTD as opposed to a masters at WUSTL, but I feel crazy turning down such a highly ranked school.
  • Does anyone have any insight on either of the programs? I want to focus more on clinical than research. I am over the moon to be able to have this choice, but I'm just so stuck right now and I have to give the schools my answer soon, so anything is helpful! :nailbiting::(

Hi! I don't have much insight on Belmont, but I was accepted to WashU too! I had that tough decision where I had to decide whether or not I wanted to go to WashU. I ended up turning down their offer because I knew it I would be unhappy there. Even though it has a great reputation, I would be sacrificing my happiness if I had to move down to St. Louis. I ended up going with a more expensive OTD program closer to home, similar to Belmont!

UPDATE
University:
University of Southern California
Major: Social Sciences and Psychology
Minor(s): Occupational Sciences
GPA: 3.35
Pre-req: 3.0-3.6
GRE: 154 V/ 155 Q/ 4.5 W
Volunteer: Approx. 400 in 5 pediatric settings & hospital
Experience related to field: ABA shadow, research in Anthropology/Occupational Therapy field school
LOR: 1 OT, 1 Professor, Research Supervisor

Accepted: Creighton, Rush (attending)
Interviewed: Creighton, Rush
Rejected: UIC, NYU, TJU, Puget Sound
Waiting to hear: Columbia, CSU, USC, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), Pacific

Last edited:
University: University of Southern California
Major: Social Sciences and Psychology
Minors: Occupational Sciences
GPA: 3.35
Pre-req: 3.0-3.6
GRE: 154 V/ 155 Q/ 4.5 W
Volunteer: Approx. 400 in 5 pediatric settings & hospital
Experience related to field: ABA shadow, research in Anthropology/Occupational Therapy field school
LOR: 1 OT, 1 Professor, Research Supervisor

Applied: Columbia, NYU, Thomas Jefferson, CSU, USC, Creighton, Rush, Pacific, Utah, UIC, Midwestern (Downer's Grove), and Puget Sound
Accepted:
Interviewed:
Creighton (1/13), Rush (1/16)
Rejected: UIC
When did you get rejected from UIC if you don't mind me asking?

UPDATE:
University: Stony Brook University
Major: Health Science and Sociology
Overall GPA: 3.4 OTCAS
Pre-Req GPA: 3.2-3.7 depending on school
GRE:
158 Verbal
153 Quantitative (previously 148)
5.0 Writing (previously 3.5)

Extra-Curric: Internship early intervention preschool, various positions in a national sorority including Executive board, Out of State student mentor, English Pals, Emerging Leaders, Various academic awards and a Merit scholarship

Volunteer: 20 Hospital NICU/PICU, 90 Early intervention preschool

Applied : Stony Brook, Sacred Heart, NYU, LIU Brooklyn, Touro Bay Shore, Rush University, SUNY Downstate

Acceptances: *twiddles thumbs*
Rejections: Stony Brook 12/15
Interviews: Stony Brook 11/19, Rush 1/27th
:claps:Super excited about hearing back from Rush. I'm not certain I want to move off the east coast, but from what I'm hearing it is a great program and competitive so hopefully I'll start hearing back from my other schools soon!

UPDATE: Another interview invitation came today, this time for LIU! It's either the 3rd or the 5th of February. That one is my first choice I am SO excited. This is so much better than last cycle. :) I worked so hard to get to this point, I hope it goes well!

Update. :)

University: Willamette University
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.51 (3.28 in undergrad, 3.93 in Master's)
Prerequisite: 4.0 for most schools
GRE: V 169 Q 144 W 5
OTCAS Verified: 10/27/16

Extra-curricular: Hospice care volunteer, Youth Advocate for young adults experiencing mental health disabilities, many others related to mental health research and advocacy

Volunteer:
65 work, shadowing, volunteering hours in a mental health outpatient facility with an OT (had the fabulous opportunity to administer the Adult/Adolescent Sensory Profile and use other OT assessments); 36 shadowing hours with a hospice program; 20 shadowing hours in peds; 16 in hand therapy; 14 in inpatient rehab.

Work:
Mental Health Counselor - Associate with two years experience of working with clients with significant psychiatric disabilities, specializing in assessment and treatment of early onset psychosis. Research Associate with three years of experience working in community action mental health and advocacy.

Certifications:
Structured Interview for the Prodromal Symptoms of Psychosis, Co-Occurring Disorders, many others

Applying: Washington University in St. Louis, USC, Thomas Jefferson, Pacific University
Acceptances: Washington University in St. Louis (attending)
Rejections:
Interviews:
Thomas Jefferson (turned down)
Attending:

Update. :)

University: Willamette University
Major: History
Overall GPA: 3.51 (3.28 in undergrad, 3.93 in Master's)
Prerequisite: 4.0 for most schools
GRE: V 169 Q 144 W 5
OTCAS Verified: 10/27/16

Extra-curricular: Hospice care volunteer, Youth Advocate for young adults experiencing mental health disabilities, many others related to mental health research and advocacy

Volunteer:
65 work, shadowing, volunteering hours in a mental health outpatient facility with an OT (had the fabulous opportunity to administer the Adult/Adolescent Sensory Profile and use other OT assessments); 36 shadowing hours with a hospice program; 20 shadowing hours in peds; 16 in hand therapy; 14 in inpatient rehab.

Work:
Mental Health Counselor - Associate with two years experience of working with clients with significant psychiatric disabilities, specializing in assessment and treatment of early onset psychosis. Research Associate with three years of experience working in community action mental health and advocacy.

Certifications:
Structured Interview for the Prodromal Symptoms of Psychosis, Co-Occurring Disorders, many others

Applying: Washington University in St. Louis, USC, Thomas Jefferson, Pacific University
Acceptances: Washington University in St. Louis (attending)
Rejections:
Interviews:
Thomas Jefferson (turned down)
Attending:

Verbal GRE score of 169?! Wow! Congrats on that and your acceptance to Wash U!!!

Thank you so much! I owe it all to the Manhattan Prep guides and flashcards. Seriously, I don't mean to do product placement, but they know exactly what words will show up on the test. I also went from a truly abysmal 137 in the quant. to a 144 with their guides - which isn't a huge leap but it sure helped! Can't recommend them enough!

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you so much! I owe it all to the Manhattan Prep guides and flashcards. Seriously, I don't mean to do product placement, but they know exactly what words will show up on the test. I also went from a truly abysmal 137 in the quant. to a 144 with their guides - which isn't a huge leap but it sure helped! Can't recommend them enough!
How long did you study with those guides before you took the GRE?

That's fantastic, good for you. I used Manhattan prep's flash cards and books as well. Definitely think the flash cards came in handy for memorizing vocab! Let's hope they see this - maybe we'll get some compensation for the plug :)

How long did you study with those guides before you took the GRE?

Oh, I studied for months. But that was primarily because I've been years out of math classes and I had a looot to catch up on. For the verbal, I studied for a couple weeks. I think one of the biggest curves was learning how to take the test - the little things that added up. Like knowing that half of the battle is endurance. If you have a chance to take a practice test, do. Just to get the feel for it. Out of the steps I took to be a competitive candidate, the GRE was the biggest pain in the patoosh.

I will add a big hint that a previous student gave me, because I found it very helpful and indicative of the profession as a whole. In your essay, highlight how you overcame a major challenge in your life. OT is all about finding meaning through adaptation/remediation, and admissions teams are very much looking for how candidates can facilitate their therapeutic use of self.

OTmomma, wouldn't that be great? ;) Gotta finance school somehow!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I received an email a while ago from KUMC saying they would be notifying everyone of their admission decision by email on or before January 15th. I have not received an email yet. Has anyone heard from them recently?

People who interviewed at Midwestern (AZ), how did you like it? I am interviewing there this Thursday but heard a couple people at my AT Still interview say they weren't impressed. Do they ask all applicants the same questions?

I received an email a while ago from KUMC saying they would be notifying everyone of their admission decision by email on or before January 15th. I have not received an email yet. Has anyone heard from them recently?
I was accepted back in Thanksgiving but declined. In the past they have been a little after the deadline so don't give up!

People who interviewed at Midwestern (AZ), how did you like it? I am interviewing there this Thursday but heard a couple people at my AT Still interview say they weren't impressed. Do they ask all applicants the same questions?
They asked my group different questions! They really want to know that you are knowledgable about OT. I'm not attending but the campus is really nice.

They asked my group different questions! They really want to know that you are knowledgable about OT. I'm not attending but the campus is really nice.

Thanks for the info! Is it a group interview or individual?

Has anyone heard back from Loma Linda, D'Youville, Springfield College, Sacred heart, or MCPHS?
I am still playing the waiting game and so anxious to find out!

Anyone hear back from Eastern Washington University? I got an email at the beginning of January saying they would send out interview invitations within two weeks, haven't seen any posts about EWU though.

My Stats are very similar to yours, would you mind saying where you got in?
I am super late. But I was accepted to Texas Tech and TWU Houston. I've withdrawn my acceptance to Texas Tech.

University: University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg
Major: Psychology
Overall GPA: 3.99
Pre-Req GPA: 4.00
GRE: 149 Q, 151 V, 4.5 AW

Extra-Curric: President of Health and Rehabilitation Science Club, VP of Resident Student Council, Presidential Ambassador, Peer Leader, Resident Assistant, Member of 3 honor societies, Research Assistant, 50 hours with the Red Cross, JDRF Walk Volunteer and more

110 hours total, 86 with Outpatient hand therapy, 16 in pediatrics outpatient, 8 in pediatrics inpatient

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, University of Pittsburgh

Acceptances: University of Pittsburgh

Wait listed: Chatham

Rejections:

Interviews: Chatham

Hey I was accepted to Pittsburgh and am planning to visit the school. I've never been to Pittsburgh and am from SC, but I really like the set up of Pitt's program and the focus on research. Could you tell me a little bit about Pittsburgh and if you think you will be attending? Thanks so much!

Hey I was accepted to Pittsburgh and am planning to visit the school. I've never been to Pittsburgh and am from SC, but I really like the set up of Pitt's program and the focus on research. Could you tell me a little bit about Pittsburgh and if you think you will be attending? Thanks so much!
Congratulations! When did you hear about your acceptance to Pitt?

University: SUNY Oneonta
Major: Communication Studies/Pre-OT
Overall GPA: 3.90
Pre-Req GPA: 3.87-3.92 (depending on school
GRE: N/A

Extra-Curric: Lambda Pi Eta (Communication Arts Honor Society), Alpha Epsilon Delta (National Preprofessional Health Honor Society), Summer Camp Counselor, County Legislative Intern (Summer), Sensory Gym Counselor (Summer), VP of Resident Hall Government, Dean's List all 4 years, Provost's List 1 semester

Volunteer: 65 hours Outpatient rehab with an OTR and Certified Hand Therapist; 15 hours Peds (private practice); 30 Inpatient in a hospital in the Transitional Care Unit (more like a nursing home setting); ~300 hours as Assistant Teacher for preschoolers with disabilities in an integrated classroom.

Applied: SUNY Downstate, Stony Brook, NYU, Columbia, University of the Sciences

Acceptances:

Rejections:

Interviews: SUNY Downstate 1/4, Stony Brook 1/13

Congratulations! When did you hear about your acceptance to Pitt?

Hey I was accepted to Pitt this morning (1/18). I have seen where other people have posted that they were accepted to Pitt earlier in the month so they must be doing it in waves.

Hey I was accepted to Pitt this morning (1/18). I have seen where other people have posted that they were accepted to Pitt earlier in the month so they must be doing it in waves.
When did you submit your application? And if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your stats I would really appreciate it!

When did you submit your application? And if you wouldn't mind sharing some of your stats I would really appreciate it!
No problem! I had everything in on November 5th.

I'm just copying and pasting and editing from a previous post for my stats

I have a B.S in Exercise Science with a concentration in Scientific Foundations.
GPA: 3.71 OTCAS GPA: 3.68
(all A's in prereqs except for B's in anatomy and physiology)

I have a Masters in Public Health -Epidemiology from MUSC
GPA: 3.68 OTCAS GPA: 3.71

GRE: 155 Verbal 156 Quantitative 4.5 Writing

Relevant Work Experience:
4 years as an assistant swim coach
3 summers teaching swim lessons to children of all ages (swim instructor coordinator last summer)
2 years as a peer tutor at USC in physics, organics, abnormal psych, and developmental psych
144 Working as Interim Office Manager at the pediatric OT clinic I observed at

OT Experience:
203 at a private pediatric OT clinic
10 hours in public school district (maximum time allowed in my area)
15 hours in private Montessori school
15 hours in rehab OT facility

180 hours of OT research under the director of MUSC's OT school
Capstone Paper and Presentation on Metabolic Equivalents as a underlying component of activities of daily living

Also, 15 hours in developmental pediatric clinic and observing autism diagnostic testing and 60 hours shadowing in pediatric free clinic

Volunteer Work:
assisted with continuing education workshop for OTs
therapeutic horseback riding lessons for special needs children and adults
special Olympics
campus held events for children
adult free clinic
pediatric free clinic

My letters of recommendation came from 1 professor at MUSC in the school of medicine, 2 OTs, and the MUSC OT director as my research letter of rec

Has anyone heard back from Loma Linda, D'Youville, Springfield College, Sacred heart, or MCPHS?

Have not heard back from D'youville yet. I was accepted into MCPHS in late November

That's so exciting about UNE! They told me first week in January when I interviewed. How were you notified?

Yeah they told me the same thing when I interviewed, but I ended up receiving an e-mail in Dec. 16th saying I was accepted and that my deposit was due by Jan. 4th. I also received a letter in the mail at my address listed in OTCAS.

University: University of Delaware
Major: Bachelor of Science in Cognitive Science
Minor: Psychology & Disability Studies
Overall GPA: 3.026
Last 60 credits GPA 3.2
Pre-Req GPA: 3.1-3.3 depending on the school
GRE: Q:150 V: 152 W: 4.5

*second yr applying

Observation: 10 hours homecare, 15 hours hand therapy, 35 hours subacute, 40 hour school settings, 4 hr hospital
Extracurric: founding sister, sign language club, girl scouts, step up program
Work Experience: ABA Therapist, Subsitite Aid at a Private School for children with developmental delays (implements OT sensory diets), Camp Counselor at Camp Star for the ARC of Union County (camp for children with disabilities), Camp Counselor, Cashier at Stop and Shop Instructor at Mad Science
Certifications: American Red Cross Pediatric CPR and Adult First Aid/CPR, CPI, RBT

Applied: Thomas Jefferson, Chatham, University of Pittsburgh, Temple, Colorado state, MGH, Salus, Uscience

Acceptances: Thomas Jefferson

Wait listed: Chatham

Rejections: Temple

Interviews: Chatham, Thomas Jefferson, MGH

**some hope to the people with lower gpas!!! :clap:

I'll also be at the interview at MGH on 2/3!!

I have not heard back from Springfield or MCPHS

Out of the ones you listed, I applied to Springfield and Sacred Heart. I submitted and verified my application back in October and have not heard back from either one, but also, I think Sacred Heart has already conducted their interviews. So I think its safe to say I'm not getting in there. As for Springfield, I think they release all the acceptances at a later time compared to some of the other schools.

Out of the ones you listed, I applied to Springfield and Sacred Heart. I submitted and verified my application back in October and have not heard back from either one, but also, I think Sacred Heart has already conducted their interviews. So I think its safe to say I'm not getting in there. As for Springfield, I think they release all the acceptances at a later time compared to some of the other schools.

Based on past threads, I think that Sacred Heart conducts interviews well into March. At least I hope so, because I haven't heard from them either.

UPDATE

University: East Carolina
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req (still in the process of some) 3.8
GRE: Verbal-148 Quantitative-151 Writing-4.0

Experience: Second Year Special Education Teacher, ECU Campus Ambassador, Taught swim lessons for Children with Autism

OT hours: 40 hours at a pediatric clinic

Applied: AT Still, East Carolina, Winston Salem, Sacred Heart, West Coast University, NYU, Hofstra

Interviews: Hofstra

Acceptances: Hofstra

Rejections: AT Still, East Carolina

It kinda bums me out that I got rejected from at still cause I feel that a lot of people get interviews there

UPDATE

University: East Carolina
Major: Special Education
Overall GPA: 3.7
Pre-req (still in the process of some) 3.8
GRE: Verbal-148 Quantitative-151 Writing-4.0

Experience: Second Year Special Education Teacher, ECU Campus Ambassador, Taught swim lessons for Children with Autism

OT hours: 40 hours at a pediatric clinic

Applied: AT Still, East Carolina, Winston Salem, Sacred Heart, West Coast University, NYU, Hofstra

Interviews: Hofstra

Acceptances: Hofstra

Rejections: AT Still, East Carolina

It kinda bums me out that I got rejected from at still cause I feel that a lot of people get interviews there
I will warn you on west coast university that my interview (if you receive one come spring) was very defensive and I felt almost attacked. Tuition is high and I was not impressed with the facility whatsoever