GPAs on AMCAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mc4435

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey I have a quick question. I keep seeing people mentioning overall and BCPM GPA's in regards to AMCAS. Is that something that we are supposed to calculate ourselves and enter into AMCAS? Or does it show up automatically after you enter your classes and grades? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something while filling it out :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hey I have a quick question. I keep seeing people mentioning overall and BCPM GPA's in regards to AMCAS. Is that something that we are supposed to calculate ourselves and enter into AMCAS? Or does it show up automatically after you enter your classes and grades? Just want to make sure I'm not missing something while filling it out :)

oh, it shows up, alright. fun surprise.

Where and when does it show up? After you submit? After it's processed?

Members don't see this ad :)
Where and when does it show up? After you submit? After it's processed?

No, you should be able to choose "print" or something like that from the main menu. It actually just makes a pdf for you, and it will have the info there.

When you fill out the application, you list all of your courses and grades. After AMCAS had checked your transcripts and verified everything, they calculate your gpa by year in college for both overall and science gpa, give you a total undergrad gpa and science gpa, a post-bac gpa (science & non-science), and graduate gpa.

Oddly, mine was a nice surprise - AMCAS calculated a higher overall undergrad gpa. Then again, I had 6 transcripts, so I probably just messed up when I tried calculating it myself. Also, I think that some schools use 3.65 for an A-, while AMCAS uses 3.7. There may be other similar discrepancies to account for upward changes in gpa post-verification.