GPR/AEGD for international dentists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hammoudeh71

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone

i am starting this thread for whomever is intending to apply for gpr/aegd as anlternative route for license in the states. Previous experiences on this matter would really be appreciated. The questions i'd like to raise here r as following:
1. What r the states the give license based on 1 or 2 years gpr/aegd?
2. What r the places that accept international dentists for such programs? what r the probabilities for us to get a chance for enrollment? for example what r the places that accept the largest number of international dentists every year?
3. What r the basic requirements for applying for such programs and what are the deadlines?
Guys and gals, whomever is interested is welcome to share it here, and again, any previous experiences wud be really appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
no one interested at all?! then i might be having high chances!

Regarding your post.... Im very interested. Im a foreign dentist, have a dental hygiene license..Not too long ago we had a girl from India doing her rotation in the office. She got accepted in GPR program in Texas. This is her 2nd year. After that she said that she would be able to practice in Texas

Members don't see this ad :)
Regarding your post.... Im very interested. Im a foreign dentist, have a dental hygiene license..Not too long ago we had a girl from India doing her rotation in the office. She got accepted in GPR program in Texas. This is her 2nd year. After that she said that she would be able to practice in Texas

From the horse's mouth:

Dental Licensure Information for International dentists in Texas:

To apply for dental licensure please read the information on General Dental Licensure first. Click here to be directed to the information on General Dental Licensure.

In addition to general licensure requirements for dental applicants, graduates of non-accredited dental schools must present proof - translated to English, if necessary - that the applicant has:
1. Graduated from a dental school, and
2. Successfully completed training in an American Dental Association (ADA) approved specialty education program that is accredited by the Commission on Dental Accreditation and that consists of at least two years of training as specified by the Council on Dental Education.

Information about locations of specialty programs should be obtained from the ADA either on the internet at: http://www.ada.org/ or by writing or calling: American Dental Association, 211 East Chicago Ave., Chicago, IL 60611-2678, 312-440-2500.

Acceptable specialties are: Endodontics, Periodontics, Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology, Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery, Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology, Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics, Pediatric Dentistry, Dental Public Health, or Prosthodontics. General Practice Residencies or Advanced Education in General Dentistry programs are not recognized areas of dental specialty and will not qualify for the purpose of obtaining Texas licensure.

She won't be able to practice in the lone star state.

Last edited:
Getting into these programs is equally difficult if not worse, because there you are not only competing with ftd's but also the regular US DDS students.

Somebody correct me if Im wrong :thumbup:.

i know its difficult to get admission, but at the same i was browsing the PASS search engine and found out that many places consider international applicants for either gpr or aegd. i believe its a good route for whomever is looking for license. This is depicted from the ADA website:

Requires two years of post-doctoral education: KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX
Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry: VA, WI
Accepts two years of pre-or post-doctoral education: IL, MI, OR, VA, WA, WI

so if we have a few states that grants lincese based on this route, then its a great option. I think having a limited number of states where we can practice and start "loan free" is much better than having all the states open where we spend the next 10 years of our lives paying loans. In fact all i need is one state where i can practice and live!

i know its difficult to get admission, but at the same i was browsing the PASS search engine and found out that many places consider international applicants for either gpr or aegd. i believe its a good route for whomever is looking for license. This is depicted from the ADA website:

Requires two years of post-doctoral education: KY, LA, MD-pediatric dentistry only, MS, TN, TX
Accepts 12-month advanced education program (AEGD, GPR) in general dentistry: VA, WI

so if we have a few states that grants lincese based on this route, then its a great option. I think having a limited number of states where we can practice and start "loan free" is much better than having all the states open where we spend the next 10 years of our lives paying loans. In fact all i need is one state where i can practice and live!

You would be surprised, how soon one state can become not enough:)) It is hard to be restricted to one or two states, because sometimes opportunities in other states might be a lot better.

well we're still talkin about 7 or 8 states (i think new york is on the list 2 though its not mentioned in this ADA pdf file)...what more could we need? its nt like a city..its a state! i dunno..maybe the fact that i am 30 years old and have been workin for the past 7 years is makin me reluctant to go for any option where i have to start from scratch and and take so big loans all over again..

Reactions: 1 users
well we're still talkin about 7 or 8 states (i think new york is on the list 2 though its not mentioned in this ADA pdf file)...what more could we need? its nt like a city..its a state! i dunno..maybe the fact that i am 30 years old and have been workin for the past 7 years is makin me reluctant to go for any option where i have to start from scratch and and take so big loans all over again..

I was 38 years old when I started school here in US. I practiced for 12 years before that I have $250k in student loans now, and I think it was worth every penny. But maybe it's just me. I don't have to worry now that I would run into a situation where I can not work someplace. Just to illustrate my post -- I came to practice to AZ after graduation, it was supposed to be rapidly growing state, with perfect job opportunities for dentists. Turns out that it got hit very hard by recession, and the job market for dentists is not that good, since there are too many of them here and dental offices are going bancrupt(!) So we ended up deciding to move to Midwest...

Thank u SJ35 for the post..it lifted up my spirits! maybe i'll just apply to wherever i can afford, either advanced standing or GPR/AEGD and see how things work out..

Thank u SJ35 for the post..it lifted up my spirits! maybe i'll just apply to wherever i can afford, either advanced standing or GPR/AEGD and see how things work out..

Good luck in whatever you decide to do:thumbup:

hi Hammoudeh71....i'm an international dentist too ..came to this country rather late...tried part1 nbde twice..but not gud enough score for advanced standing appln...hence i guess we r in the same pool looking for alternatives...r u applying for MS/GPR/AEGD programs this year...i'm also of the opinion that getting license in one state n practising only in that state is gud enough...do u have any more info regarding these programs than u have mentioned in this thread ..pls share...also if u don't mind can i have ur email add so that i can communicate with u ...thank you for all the info u have put out there

hi Hammoudeh71....i'm an international dentist too ..came to this country rather late...tried part1 nbde twice..but not gud enough score for advanced standing appln...hence i guess we r in the same pool looking for alternatives...r u applying for MS/GPR/AEGD programs this year...i'm also of the opinion that getting license in one state n practising only in that state is gud enough...do u have any more info regarding these programs than u have mentioned in this thread ..pls share...also if u don't mind can i have ur email add so that i can communicate with u ...thank you for all the info u have put out there

I am 36 and applying to Rochester AEGD for 2011. I came in to USA in January, took the nbde 1 exam in july and scored 84...guess its not just enough to get into NYU..hope my master degree in Oral SUrgery will supplement my resume..but given a choice I would go for AEGD program as that allows to practice in NY. But I do have a question....how can one apply for residency AFTER the AEGD? I mean those FTDs who have completed AEGD without DDS/DMD ..do they actually get accepted into any residency??

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,

Im a foreign trained dentist from india.. going to finish my BDS degree in 2011.
Im looking to get into a post graduate program (MS) in Ortho/Perio/Prostho.

I am not looking to do my DDS , hence i need to know which states i can practice in after my MS.
Also, does the MS have to be done the SAME state as the one your planning to practice in?

Can someone please help me with answers to the above and also provide a link if possible.

Greatly appreciate it .

Thankyou

I was 38 years old when I started school here in US. I practiced for 12 years before that I have $250k in student loans now, and I think it was worth every penny. But maybe it's just me. I don't have to worry now that I would run into a situation where I can not work someplace. Just to illustrate my post -- I came to practice to AZ after graduation, it was supposed to be rapidly growing state, with perfect job opportunities for dentists. Turns out that it got hit very hard by recession, and the job market for dentists is not that good, since there are too many of them here and dental offices are going bancrupt(!) So we ended up deciding to move to Midwest...

SJ35,

You made my day... Thanks. I am 41, I have a great practice in Ecuador for 12 years but love to teach and research, my wife and kids want to move to the US son I applied at EDC in NYS, I already have my interview date and think I have a really good chance, if I get in this program (AEGD MS) it will not cost me a dime and I have the money to live decently for 3 years, worst case i can always go for a federal loan... Your story motivates me!!!

I m a international dentist and I am also planning to apply in aegd /gpr.
Can you tell me what types of questions they ask during interview time.

I m a international dentist and I am also planning to apply in aegd /gpr.
Can you tell me what types of questions they ask during interview time.

Normally they ask general questions like

1. Where do you see your self in 5 years
2. Why did you apply for this school
3. Which areas of dentistry do you feel you have good strength

To be honest with you normally you would expect different types of questions.

Normally they ask general questions like

1. Where do you see your self in 5 years
2. Why did you apply for this school
3. Which areas of dentistry do you feel you have good strength

To be honest with you normally you would expect different types of questions.
Thank you very much .Are u in aegd /gpr program.
I have passed in 2009 .I don't have any work experience
but I was a good student with gpa 3.71. only experience is 1 yr
rotational internship . What are my chances Will they consider me
My nbde part 1 score is 82.

:(:(I am a graduate from India, just finished in 2009 and have just completed my NBDE part 1 this june (scored 83) and NBDE part 2 this Sept (scored 78). Does anyone know what oppertunities may be available for me to get into th US dental System. I am Presently applyin to DDS, AEGD, GPR, and postdoctoral pros programs... I am very confused as to if i should apply to anything or not as my scores seem quite poor.. My GPA is only 3.55 i too have only 1 yr rotational Internship as experience....:(:(

Also, Does anyone know the national mean average of the NBDE part 2 scores that we may be able to use to compare our scores accordingly?

Last edited:
I am 36 and applying to Rochester AEGD for 2011. I came in to USA in January, took the nbde 1 exam in july and scored 84...guess its not just enough to get into NYU..hope my master degree in Oral SUrgery will supplement my resume..but given a choice I would go for AEGD program as that allows to practice in NY. But I do have a question....how can one apply for residency AFTER the AEGD? I mean those FTDs who have completed AEGD without DDS/DMD ..do they actually get accepted into any residency??

hi i am a dental student in india.i gave nbde 1 in july but scores only 81..plz can u explain what is ms,aegd prog??? plz help me out

Hello there,
thanks for starting this thread. I have some questions regarding the visa for AEGD programs.
Which visa is issued for FTDs got admitted for this program?
I have inquired n contacted AEGD program director at LMC AZ got reply from him stating that F1 doesn't work there and have to go for H1B. am nt sure abt minimum wage req for that program to apply for H1B. I also have posted same question on SDN with international dental forum.

If any FTD has got interview/joined AEGD at LMC or other centers which visa do they offered you? PLZ Help me with this.
Thanks again...all the best for all of you.

Hello everyone

i am starting this thread for whomever is intending to apply for gpr/aegd as anlternative route for license in the states. Previous experiences on this matter would really be appreciated. The questions i'd like to raise here r as following:
1. What r the states the give license based on 1 or 2 years gpr/aegd?
2. What r the places that accept international dentists for such programs? what r the probabilities for us to get a chance for enrollment? for example what r the places that accept the largest number of international dentists every year?
3. What r the basic requirements for applying for such programs and what are the deadlines?
Guys and gals, whomever is interested is welcome to share it here, and again, any previous experiences wud be really appreciated

Thank you very much .Are u in aegd /gpr program.
I have passed in 2009 .I don't have any work experience
but I was a good student with gpa 3.71. only experience is 1 yr
rotational internship . What are my chances Will they consider me
My nbde part 1 score is 82.

It depends on the University you apply to. I was accepted at Eastman dental center in 2008 but could not move to Rochester due to personal problems but I applied again this year for the program starting in 2011, I already had my interview but they don´t answer until late Jan 2011. Hope everything goes ok like in the first time...:xf:

All I can tell you is that everybody is a good candidate son don´t be nervous, if you are the one they are looking for... you will get in n matter how much or little experience you have!!!

Hi,
When I called LMC they said they are not accepting foreign trained dentist from this year. ONLY GREEN CARD & PR. She said Information on web site is old and it need t be changed..

Hello there,
thanks for starting this thread. I have some questions regarding the visa for AEGD programs.
Which visa is issued for FTDs got admitted for this program?
I have inquired n contacted AEGD program director at LMC AZ got reply from him stating that F1 doesn't work there and have to go for H1B. am nt sure abt minimum wage req for that program to apply for H1B. I also have posted same question on SDN with international dental forum.

If any FTD has got interview/joined AEGD at LMC or other centers which visa do they offered you? PLZ Help me with this.
Thanks again...all the best for all of you.

With all the talks about DDS programs, nobody pays enough attention to GPR/AEGD entries. I wanted to revive this thread to see whats going on with people who have applied to these programs. Any updated will be greatly appreciated. Did anyone get acceptance somewhere? What all places are you still waiting to hear from? My stats

Part 1 83
Par 2 75
GPA 3.25
Toefl 100

I applied to Conn, Nova and Florida. Nothing yet. :(

Guys????

you have exactly the same stats as me. I did apply to Uconn AEGD & I got an interview there. But I also got accepted to the upenn pass program. when I went for the iv at uconn they said all the acceptances will be made after the match which I think is in Jan. Did u apply to any DDS programs?

With all the talks about DDS programs, nobody pays enough attention to GPR/AEGD entries. I wanted to revive this thread to see whats going on with people who have applied to these programs. Any updated will be greatly appreciated. Did anyone get acceptance somewhere? What all places are you still waiting to hear from? My stats

Part 1 83
Par 2 75
GPA 3.25
Toefl 100

I applied to Conn, Nova and Florida. Nothing yet. :(

Guys????

Hi, Im a foreign dentist I just got my NBDE PART1 result it is 88 , my GPA is 3.85 , TOEFL as soon as possible I want to know what to do now? should I apply for the CAAPID ? is there enough time to apply for CAAPID or I'm too late now and I shood wait for next year ?or I should take NBDE PART 2 first ? what are my chances to be accepted in AEGD, GPR programs ? I really need a help .

as far as i know and to what ive check on university websites..most of the universities require DDS or DMD to get into AEGD/GPR. except UCLA. but thy have only 1 position.

Hi, Im a foreign dentist I just got my NBDE PART1 result it is 88 , my GPA is 3.85 , TOEFL as soon as possible I want to know what to do now? should I apply for the CAAPID ? is there enough time to apply for CAAPID or I'm too late now and I shood wait for next year ?or I should take NBDE PART 2 first ? what are my chances to be accepted in AEGD, GPR programs ? I really need a help .

i think the admission cycle is now open or will be open for admission in 2012. u have good statss and u shud apply because mostly are on first come first serve basis.

i think the admission cycle is now open or will be open for admission in 2012. u have good statss and u shud apply because mostly are on first come first serve basis

thx mr dentstud11
but I want to know if they look fo experience because I'm new graduate
note : actaually I am american but I did my BDS outside the states , I wanna know if that'll help me?

My personal exp with these programs has not been too great.

and I am yet to come across a single person who has successfully made the transition to a licence in the US with an AEGD / GPR (Rochestor 2 yr AEGD excluded)

I would really like to know if someone has managed this feat.

Please , I wanna know if the experience is mandatory?
and what is the difference between PASS and CAAPID?

Hi,

Could you please share your stats with us! any additional qualifications or certifications,research experience?

It depends on the University you apply to. I was accepted at Eastman dental center in 2008 but could not move to Rochester due to personal problems but I applied again this year for the program starting in 2011, I already had my interview but they don´t answer until late Jan 2011. Hope everything goes ok like in the first time...:xf:

All I can tell you is that everybody is a good candidate son don´t be nervous, if you are the one they are looking for... you will get in n matter how much or little experience you have!!!

Hey apply to AEGD soon, like Uconn! thet just need fresh grads. apply early.

:(:(I am a graduate from India, just finished in 2009 and have just completed my NBDE part 1 this june (scored 83) and NBDE part 2 this Sept (scored 78). Does anyone know what oppertunities may be available for me to get into th US dental System. I am Presently applyin to DDS, AEGD, GPR, and postdoctoral pros programs... I am very confused as to if i should apply to anything or not as my scores seem quite poor.. My GPA is only 3.55 i too have only 1 yr rotational Internship as experience....:(:(

Also, Does anyone know the national mean average of the NBDE part 2 scores that we may be able to use to compare our scores accordingly?

hey plzzz cn u help me out......m confused whether i should go for part 2 or not???? or should i go for AEGD prog.
my part 1 score is 85 n GPA 3.8 .....what is more beneficial to get in dental skool????
thankuuuuu

and I am yet to come across a single person who has successfully made the transition to a licence in the US with an AEGD / GPR (Rochestor 2 yr AEGD excluded)

I know people who did their AEGDs in FL, TX and Connecticut now with full licenses. And of course from Rochester cause Im a current resident

I read all your post and now I am more confused.
1. Does going Aegd/gpr program will qualify a foreign graduate to get licenses in some states in the US?
2. If yes, what Aegd or Gpr programs accept foreign dental school graduates ?

I read all your post and now I am more confused.
1. Does going Aegd/gpr program will qualify a foreign graduate to get licenses in some states in the US?
2. If yes, what Aegd or Gpr programs accept foreign dental school graduates ?

Yes, some states do allow licence at present, but laws can change.
U should contact individual programs. Rochester is one that accepts FTDs.

some new info to ponder upon - in 2009-10, 92 foreign nationals got into GPRs (excluding Canadian citizens), US citizens amounted for 976.
the same year, 105 Foreign citizens got into AEGDs. 553 US citizens got in.

so, AEGD enrolment for foreign citizens is about 1/5 while GPR is about 1/10
This is information on US Citizenship only, no mention is made on the dental degree held by the applicant.

so, statistically, it looks good.
Source: ADA survey of advanced education.

hello friends
what is aegd? never heard abt that.

AEGD = Advanced Education in General Dentistry (2 yr residency)

Does anybody have any information on which AEGD programs accept foreign graduates? I am aware of Rochester, Conn, and a few others which have been mentioned earlier... This sounds like a good option to me for FTDs with Canadian PR or citizenship since it will help us in challenging the new qualifying process. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Hey apply to AEGD soon, like Uconn! thet just need fresh grads. apply early.

I am wondering what made u say that? I had also applied to AEGD at UConn last year but didnt even get shortlisted for an interview. my stats were good too i guess

nbde I/ II 90/88
TOEFL 112
GPA 4
with MDS and no gap in studies or work experience.

Do you think its worth trying again this year?? I probably applied a bit late last time. Do you know of any FTD being selected at UConn?????

i know southeastern nova, UConn, Rochester, BU, Uni of maryland also have AEGD program for FTD.

Hi All

After having read the thread discussions, I am still not clear about these AEGD/GPR programmes. My questions are:

1) Do they require DDS/DMD degree to apply for?
2) Do they require NBDE 1 and 2 ?

Please guide, il be grateful.

Thanks

So you know someone who could get through the US dental licensure process after doing the Rochester 2 yr AEGD program? Can you please let us know where and how he/she ended up?

GPR would never allow hercto work in TX in specific

who said anything about loan free?!

Hi every body, Iam 42 year old international trained dentist and green card holder, Iam planing to apply for aged or gpd as an alternative for international dentist program to save my time , so I can apply for license exam in virgenia ( I passed nbde1 and 2) , I want to you all to share me your opinions , please answer me, I really feel lost. Thanks.

Hi Sara,

For Virginia, that's a great option. When applying, keep in mind that VAs or any other program that is state-affilitated will likely prefer citizens over GC holders. This is usually unofficial information, but I've talked to several directors that did admit that it's true. Also they'll likely prefer US dental school graduates as well.
For you to make it your application will need to be amazing and I'd also pick a couple of programs that are high on your list and visit their clinic, volunteer if you can, etc so they know and like you. Plan on spending a ton of time on your personal statement as well.