GPR/AEGD - Rolling Admissions; too late?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heyy0

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was unaware that the 'rolling admissions' phenomena was so prevalent in the US so I submitted my applications through PASS only a few days before the deadlines for my programs which were Dec 1st for AEGDs and Dec 15th for GPRs. I've only heard from one of the AEGD programs so far. I'm worried because I know of people that got called for interviews despite having a lower standing (they did not necessarily apply to the same programs but their deadline was dec 1st as well). I applied in NY and Boston.

Am I being paranoid and should just wait or am I right to be concerned? Do programs still look at applications submitted before the deadline or do they stop reviewing them once they've sent out enough interview invites (which might've been weeks before the official deadline)?

Help :(

Members don't see this ad.

I was unaware that the 'rolling admissions' phenomena was so prevalent in the US so I submitted my applications through PASS only a few days before the deadlines for my programs which were Dec 1st for AEGDs and Dec 15th for GPRs. I've only heard from one of the AEGD programs so far. I'm worried because I know of people that got called for interviews despite having a lower standing (they did not necessarily apply to the same programs but their deadline was dec 1st as well). I applied in NY and Boston.

Am I being paranoid and should just wait or am I right to be concerned? Do programs still look at applications submitted before the deadline or do they stop reviewing them once they've sent out enough interview invites (which might've been weeks before the official deadline)?

I hate to say it, but your assessment is pretty spot on. Most programs dont like to wait til the deadline to interview. They usually have dates pre-set for their interviews where they interview most (if not all) applicants

Having said that.. I wouldn't worry too much because:
(1) there isn't much to do about it at this point.
(2) your time is better spent maybe following up with the program directors at programs that you did apply to, or even preparing for post-match openings.

If you do end up going with the post-match route, you'll have a leg up in that you already have an application submitted at whatever program (if they have an available spot). And in that scenario, programs are looking to fill up position ASAP--so not wasting time with sending stuff in etc. will help you.

I hope this wasn't too harsh, and hope that I was at least a little helpful. Again, I still wouldn't freak out or anything, you still have plenty of time. I know I had a couple interviews in December so keep your head up :)

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user

And also... Just wanted to pass on some words of encouragement that I heard years ago:

You only need ONE interview to get in!

:)

Reactions: 1 user
And also... Just wanted to pass on some words of encouragement that I heard years ago:

You only need ONE interview to get in!

:)

Thank you so much for your reply! I got interviews at 3 other programs since my post so I can't complain at this point :)